• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Open World Game Right Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outlier

Basically I want a game I can sink my teeth into. No not literally, I just want a game with lots of content and replay value. Open world games are usually good for this. I adored Skyrim and invested more time into that game than I care to admit. GTA V was an abomination in my opinion so let's rule that one out as well.

So other than those two games any other suggestions?

I know there aren't any games that will keep you occupied and entertained forever, but I'm sick of investing my money into these 8 hour campaign experiences that I forget by the next week. I need something interesting that I can go back to and explore.

Stingray

Space elves FTW
    Years
    Have you tried some of the older Elder Scrolls? Morrowind was my introduction to the series and it was really fun. Yes its a little dated, but you should be able to find it rather cheap.

Outlier

No I've heard great things though. I just don't think I'll be able to fully appreciate the older games after having played Skyrim first. Might give Oblivion a shot.

Thanks for the suggestion. ( :

Yukiyo Kayume

Dragon Goddess
    Years
    definitely try Oblivion, it's great. I played Skyrim first and it took me a while to get into Oblivion, but I really like it

you can also get mods to improve the gfx so they wont look dated, so yeah c:

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    "Morrowind wasn't perfect, but its freedom was."

It's not a new game by any stretch, but I'd recommend Escape Velocity Nova as a departure from fantasy settings. I'll also mention X3: Albion Prelude, but know that it is very nuanced and not an easy game to get into or even enjoy without putting a lot of time in and taking the effort to get around the UI. Anyway, EVN has, I think, seven storylines with all except the pirate one being quite long. Each has largely exclusive rewards so you should have a reasonably unique experience each time, if replayability is what you're after. The heart of the game is progressing and becoming more powerful (as in any RPG) in an open world galaxy, starting as a nobody flying their first ship in a backwater of the Federation and potentially ending up as god-emperor of mankind since you can take over planets. In between you'll be 'whatever you want', which actually boils down to trading and fighting in these space sim games, but there are differences within those matters in how one can go about them, which in turn dictates who one pisses off and who one befriends.

One further mention goes out to Freelancer, which a lot of people enjoy (yes, present tense there, I've heard multiplayer is still active), but I find it insulting that they often attribute any level of complexity to it.

Outlier

I probably should have mentioned that I'm not a PC gamer. So some of the older Elder Scroll games are out of my reach at this point.

Thanks for all the suggestions though. Still plan on getting Oblivion as it's cheap and I can play it on my console.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I probably should have mentioned that I'm not a PC gamer. So some of the older Elder Scroll games are out of my reach at this point.

Thanks for all the suggestions though. Still plan on getting Oblivion as it's cheap and I can play it on my console.
    Then anything I've mentioned is useless... uh, isn't Red Dead Redemption an open-world game? I've never played it because I am a PC gamer. It is PS3-exclusive, mind.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
    I'm gonna say Red Dead Redemption and Fallout 3 or New Vegas

Fallout 3 and Vegas was developed by the same group as the ES (Bethesda) so it's not a suprise they're very similar. Both entries to the series are really fun to play and if you loved skyrim I think you'd love these two.

RDD is honestly a lot like GTA 5 due to the fact that they were both created by Rockstar. RDD is an amazing game and it's in the Wild West so what's not to like? Btw that ending though... :'(

y u hate GTA5 T.T

CharizardY

Master of Fire
    Years
    Red Dead Redemption was a amazing game with a deep story. They sell it with the DLC packs so keep an eye out for that. The Fallout games are awesome as well. Fable 2 and 3 are worth checking out even though there not as open as games like Skyrim or GTA.

Other games to check out IMO would be Dishonored and the Batman games.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
    Assassin's Creed II if you haven't played it already. Probably my favourite game from anything I've played in my PS3. A little out-dated but I still think it's worth playing.

I'd also try out Far Cry 3.

TY

Why has no one mentioned Borderlands yet? ;o;

Borderlands is a amazing game with a great world to explore. Pandora is large and with a huge variety of enemies and weapons. Especially Borderlands 2 is a game to look out for since BL1's side of Pandora is all desert XD

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I second Shadow's suggestion. I also maintain that anyone who enjoys Skyrim will probably enjoy Borderlands. In terms of gameplay, it's basically Skyrim with guns.

Years
    Well regarding Elder Scrolls you could go backwards in the series and play Oblivion or Morrowind.

Other open ended games I can think of are Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, NIER, Dragon Age: Origins.

Outlier

Some great suggestions from all of you. Played most of them though. I'm going to pickup Fallout 3 and Borderlands methinks.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
    Have you tried Assassin's Creed: Black Flag yet?

If you love a pirate theme, sailing your ship in a open world, along with the combat system of the Assassin's Creed games, then you might like this one. I wasn't a huge fan of the older AC games, but this one, at least to me, stands out from the rest of them. So far I have 38 hours into the game and about half way through the story (A lot of that time though was spent dicking around)

Outlier

I think I'm going to hold off on AC4 until I get a PS4 later on this year.

Mods can lock this thread now. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

TY

Locked by request. And if you ever want to unlock it feel free to contact me!

-Locked-

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back