• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best or worst times of day for writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    Are there any times of day that your brain seems to be working at optimum frequency for writing, even if it may not be working at optimum for everything else? What times of day do you get your best writing from and why?

Personally I seem to produce the most either first thing in the morning or last thing at night. I'm honestly not sure why, because I'm really very sleepy at those times. Sometimes when I'm more fully awake I go back to it and think "what is this drivel?" and delete it, but other times I think to myself that it's actually pretty good and that I don't think I could have written it as well any other time, usually referring to the way it's written rather than what I wrote.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I write mostly at night, a few hours before I go to bed. It's my wind-down time from work, where my mind is sharper from thinking about my stories all day. It's like I'm mentally prepared to write at that time. This stems from the fact that I have always been a night person.

I have tried to write during the day, but if the sun is up, my creative mind doesn't work.

Meinfoo

Spelling error? Spelling win!
    Years
  • After a good lunch I think. I hate writing when I have other things to do, so probably on a weekend. I can't stand writing during weekdays usually. I'm just too distracted!

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    I'm not sure. I usually hit good writing streaks in the morning, but I often write at night too because there's more atmosphere then.

Bay

Years
  • I write mostly at night, a few hours before I go to bed. It's my wind-down time from work, where my mind is sharper from thinking about my stories all day. It's like I'm mentally prepared to write at that time. This stems from the fact that I have always been a night person.

I have tried to write during the day, but if the sun is up, my creative mind doesn't work.

I'm much better at writing at night, but I come up with more ideas during the day. *shrug*
    Both of these haha. I'm usually busy during the day and many times I would thought of ideas for my stories. I then would write at night when I get the chance, so it helps I have an idea of what I want to write.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • Depends for me--all my ideas either comes from dreams or me lying in the bed. I do most of my writing early morning and then it kind trails on to the evening hours. :D I have to get my ideas out quick or I will lose them, forever. It depends entirely on my intentions and mood for the day. Finding out is kind of difficult for me.

Last edited:

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • I get up in the morning and go RIGHT. THREE THOUSAND WORDS TODAY OR BUST . . . . and then I write nothing all day and do those three thousand words in the few hours before bed. Like today, in fact. I'd been planning to all day, but I couldn't start writing in earnest until 3:50 PM (relatively early actually). Then I sat down and wrote 3,400-odd words by 5:05 PM. Somehow. And now it's coming up 6 o'clock and I plan to do some more. Dinner should be in about fifteen minutes, so I'll mess around on PC till then and then write like the clappers while Mum and Emma are at church (7-8pm). Then I'll take a break and probably write again from 8:30-10-30 pretty much non-stop, which is more like my normal time. When I did NaNo in 2009, most of my writing was done in that two-hour block. Of course, last year I had pretty much all day, hence the crazy 127,641 words. XP

Also, I tend to get a good bit done if I wake up at five am and write until I have to get up at 6:30. Word to the wise, though: not a good idea if you stayed up past midnight writing the previous evening. @_@

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Actually, that's quite valid. The atmosphere and surroundings are almost as important. I love writing when it's stormy as well, although unfortunately that hasn't happened for a while. I love to open the curtains, turn my lights off, turn off the music and just write while watching the rain lashing the windows and hearing thunder crash through the sky. It's magical, and really good for writing tense scenes.

On a similar note, a website I use a lot while writing is one called rainymood.com or something like that. It's unobtrusive, but fantastic. *opens it now*

IanDonyer

Time to kick ass? Definitely.
    Years
  • My mind tends to work its best when I'm so sleepy I'm falling asleep as I'm sitting up writing. It's kinda weird, but hey...

But, that doesn't actually happen often. So the next best time frame is usually around 9:00 PM 'til 12:00 AM. Give or take an hour or two on each end.

Fire Heart

Reject Revolving Door
    Years
  • For me, i dont have a time of day when i work best, it is just when i get some inspiration and then i am sucked into full-writting-mode

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back