• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best remake

Best Pokemon remake

• Fire Red/Leaf Green

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • HeartGold/SoulSilver

Votes: 25 55.6%
  • Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters

Grotesque

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2014
    I can't really vote since I haven't played OR/AS but I'm still gonna go with HG/SS because Pokeathlon and The Battle Frontier made the game much funner than it's predecessors.

Disolia

Friend of the Lurantis
    Years
    • MI
    • Seen Aug 14, 2019
    Despite the fact that the original Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, Were my favourite generation of all time, the remasters of them didn't quite lit a torch in my heart.

Soul Silver, and Heart gold just felt more engaging to me, with so many more areas to explore, an amazing event area, and the amount of Pokemon you were able to run into, made these remasters more appealing.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    One thing I wish they had done in remakes, if possible, is add more areas to explore post-game, such as how things were in FireRed and LeafGreen.

Of course, we have places such as Battle Frontier in certain game remakes, but if there were more--like Sevii Islands, for example--with their own events and whatnot, I feel things would pretty fun. Many of us seem to be complaining about post-game lately, and I believe this would sort of reduce that.

Not every after-game locations have to be resembling Sevii Islands precisely, though; I'm speaking more in terms of quantity. If we had about five to seven new areas to access once we had defeated Elite Four and Champion (rather than only one or two), I could imagine it to be more engaging, so to speak, and in general, it would be a better experience.

Imafroggy

King
    Years
    OR/AS are definitely the worst in my opinion.
    Gen 6 overall is leaving/left a bad impression on me anyway and the BF being gone is... no bueno.

OR/AS aren't bad games by any means whatsoever, don't get me wrong.
    Maybe more areas to explore, and actual event areas not lazy random hoops leading to legendaries.

Years
    HG/SS. They were just great. They were basically just G/S but newer, and that's all I wanted.

Apart from the shortage of training spots. That was a pain in the ass to say the least.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    FireRed/LeafGreen: Like Red and Blue, they're decent, but really short. Thankfully, these remakes included the Sevii Islands, even though I never got there. Overall, I found it to be rather average.
    HeartGold/SoulSilver: My least favourite of the remakes. Yeah, walking Pokémon is fine and all, but I never liked the Johto region at all. It's short, it has uninteresting Pokémon and it has an average story. The notable characters are also either too easy or too hard. Plus, I hate the Arceus Event. >_<
    Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire: My favourite of the remakes. Ruby/Sapphire were decent, but didn't stand out to me all that much. However, because of the amount of characterisation in the story and the Delta Episode, I really had so much fun with this game. I could understand why some people dislike it, but I've been seeing way too many pessimistic haters of these remakes. -3-

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
    HG/SS cause it added many new things to johto and graphically sweet it was and what I liked about it was its Pokemon following the trainer system

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
    HeartGold is my all time favorite. I love how your pokemon follow you and you can interact with them. It was also fun to explore and battle in both Kanto (my favorite!) and Johto so it's a no brainer with that one. I remember I used to play it for hours nonstop so I really enjoyed it. Still haven't beat Red though...
    If only HeartGold was in 3D -sighs- it would be amazing.
    FireRed has to be my second favorite though, but only because I'm an original 151 fan.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    yo I'm sorry but Fr/Lg was the best remake of all time

idc what anyone says/thinks that **** let me relive the beginning of the pokemon franchise with doable graphics while staying true to the story besides the sevii islands which I thought was an awesome edition and a lot of fun. Leaf is my fav female counterpart and I love that they based her off of blue from the manga!! Also the music remixes were bomb ok

now if it just had the follow me feature 10/10

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Toss up between HGSS and ORAS, but I'll say HGSS depsite not having beaten ORAS yet. There's some bias because I loved GSC, but thus far I'd say it improved the game it was based on more than the other two options.

RSE has been enjoyable, and the DexNav is amazing. But the rival is now worse than before, it seems, and graphic/sound improvement is sort of a given. Meanwhile, a bunch of small things haven't quite gone as I had hoped. Less trick house puzzles (and all of it doable after the 4th Gym), they bring back contests but leave out the pokeblock making minigame... it's the small things that add up. And no battle frontier is saddening.

HGSS didn't have this problem so much, and they did more in improving on GSC. Kanto is far bigger now (actual Viridian Forest and Seafoam Islands!), there's another route in Johto, you can rematch Gym Leaders, they kept in Crystal elements, it even had a battle frontier it didn't need to have, they added in a new safari zone and pokeathlon... and the Pokewalker to boot.

Meanwhile, ORAS keeps contests, adds in DexNav, improves secret bases, but ditches a minigame, apparently keeps the vanilla Safari Zone the same, drops the BF for a copy-paste of the Battle Maison, and has soaring and a small postgame story as additions. Not to dissimilar, but worse off than HGSS compared to their respective originals.

FRLG were worse than both though, imo. Sevii Islands were not terribly interesting, the music was off for a number of tracks, and little things like restrictions on evolving Pokemon or trading were unnecessary and poorly implemented.

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
    Years
    Mine personally is HGSS. It feels the most complete out of all the remakes. ORAS comes close, but it just barely misses being favorite.

mativi

Medium Experienced Trainer
    Years
    Althrough is one of my new posts, I'll say that my favourite remake is Pokemon Soul Silver. The graphics on that time were awesome, and Pearl And Diamond were like huh... I'm trying to get ORAS (one of two, obviously)

AND YOU CAN WALK WITH THEM :3

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    HGSS. FRLG tried to stick WAY too closely to the originals, even to the point of excluding Yellow additions (Jessie/James, Surfing Pikachu, following starter) as well as standard features that had existed since Generation 2 (day/night, berries, breeding, newer pre/evolutions). It's amazing that they even allowed you to play as a girl. If I wanted to play old school Gen 1, I'd just whip out my Yellow cartridge; at least, there aren't any annoying natures/abilities to worry about.

(Seriously, who else wants to see a new Gen 1 remake, one that's done RIGHT?)

HGSS, on the other hand, made an effort to mix things up by adding new areas (Routes 47-48, Safari Zone, Battle Frontier), restoring areas in Kanto (Viridian Forest, Cerulean Cave, Seafoam Islands), redesigning many cities and routes, merging the Gold/Silver and Crystal storylines, adding brand new features (walking Pokémon, Pokéathlon), fleshing out returning characters (Silver and the Rocket Admins), and so much more. They also had some gorgeous graphics, to boot.

As for ORAS, aside from one playthrough of Emerald, I'm not a big Hoenn person, so I won't say much about those. They appear to be much better than FRLG, though, so I'll give them that.

OR/AS without a doubt. I was already hugely biased towards R/S/E so I never did expect the remakes to exceed my expectations; they're my favorite Pokemon games to date and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

HG/SS were good as well but it really bothered me how slow the PC and battle animations went.. made training pretty tedious. :( That gripe wasn't big enough to deter me from anything but it was noticeable and did have an impact on my overall experience playing. But FR/LG are great as well so the choice is tough but in the end my preference is OR/AS > HG/SS > FR/LG.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I like OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire but HeartGold and SoulSilver are very close. ORAS missed some stuff that would've allowed it to defeat HgSs handedly but didn't such like a BF which HgSs had.

Back