• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Starter of all time

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024

Well, I love many starters, and Hoenn was my first, so you'd kinda expect me to swing towards them,however...

Best Starter of all time

(Kanye voice)"Yo, starters, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but Charizard is the best starter of all time. The best starter of all time!"(/Kanye voice)

I mean, he was practically the strongest pokémon in the anime, unless you think Harrison's Blaziken was better as it defeated Charizard. In the manga, Charizard is a beast, and Green's Charizard rarely loses - it only really properly lost once, to Red.

He's also the only flying-type starter, has two good attacking stats and good speed, a brilliant movepool, and looks the coolest out of all Gen I starters, closely followed by Blastoise, then leaving Venusaur for dead. And everybody knows the best starters to pick in Kanto are either Charmander, so you get an epic Charizard vs. Blastoise showdown, or Venusaur, so you get to witness the glory of Charizard against you.

O.k, that last one's a bit far, but I can't really sum up why...despite others also being awesome, such as Sceptile, Swampert, Feraligatr, Infernape, Empoleon and Samurott, Charizard is truly the best there was, is, or ever will be.

...and this coming from somebody who never watched the anime as a kid and never even played a game with Kanto in until '08...

Last edited:

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • Even though, I like Treecko, Cyndaquil, Piplup and Oshawott, but My favorite starter would be Squirtle
    because it was the first starter I had chosen, when I first got the game and also I love the water based starters, but I have always considered Squirtle as my favorite.

Thunderwolf1989

Ninetales fan! Ground trainer
    Years
  • Despite that Chikorita was the first starter I played with backin the olden days, it was only Mudkip as a starter which really impressed me, as its a great pokémon and with the Ground/Water type, manages to leave only Grass as a real weakness.
    Though Torterra manages to cancel out it's weakness to the starter it should be weak to, it didn't impress me personally. Also, Torterra fails against commonly seen Gyarados...

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Best Starter of all time

...hands down. Chikorita, Bayleef and Meganium are just pure awesome.

buuuut, I like Oshawott, Torchic, and Bulbasaur too.

.Marion

RNG Master
    Years
  • I would not forgive anyone here who forgot Mudkipz...

Best Starter of all time
    Best Starter of all time

Who loves Mudkipz? I'm sure that I do :D

Last edited:

CptSwaggerPants

Hi, I'm John Wayne..JK, I CAMP
    Years
  • Either Snivy or Oshawott...I used to say Charmander because it "like took off into the clouds after turning into a dragon and I'm like derrrr" but I really do love Snivy and Oshawott.

Snivy is so confident and I really like how smug it is all the time thinking and knowing it's better than everyone. It's also a snake and that happens to be my favorite animal.

Oshawott wasn't one of my favorites until I saw how Ash's Oshawott acted. It was amazing using it's scalchop like that and I love how modest it is...much much better than Dawn's Piplup.

I actually liked Piplup before I saw Dawn's...then it became my least liked Pokemon. Her Pachirisu also made me dislike all Pachirisus and that was one of my favorite electric types.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years

For Kanto it's Venusaur for me. I really am not fond of Charizard simply because of it's exploding popularity, and Blastoise was never really that interesting imo. I love it' design and colour, I suppose that's what I like it for. Plus it can be quike a pokemon if equipped with the right movepool.
    Best Starter of all time

I've always loved Feraligatr as a final evolution of a starter. It's strength and power along with it's tough design is what captured me. I always get a nostalgic feel when I have a feraligatr in my team since it was the only starter I'd use in my original Heat Gold verison.

Best Starter of all time

Since, I have only gotten so-fa in my Emerald Game, I've never really taken any interest to any of the Heonn starters. However, as I do need to choose, I went with Swampert, and it's diverse movepool which can be quite dangerous in some battling situations.

Best Starter of all time
    Best Starter of all time

I adore the Sinnoh region and it's starters except for piplup of course. I love Torterra and Infernape because they are simple speaking; cool. That's it; their designs, movesets, typing and power are phenominal in my eyes. <3
    Best Starter of all time

I hate the Unova starters and Unova in general so I really couldn't pick a faourite but if I had to it be Jaroda. I find it the most visually attracting pokemon out of the three and it looks quite slim and sneaky.

Pokémon Trainer Dylan

Pokémon League Champion
    Years
  • Even though I've never played a Johto game, (I have SoulSilver but I'm not going to play it until I replay FireRed) Cyndaquil has always appealed to me.

smurf

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    charmander was my 1st starter so naturally hes my favorite

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
    Years
  • Kanto:
    Bulbasaur

Jotho:
    Cyndaquill

Hoen:
    Torchic

Sinnoh:
    Piplup

Unova:
    Snivy

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
    Years
    Best Starter of all time

For playing through the games, I like Squirtle, however for serious battles and stuff, my poisonous Venusaur rocks :D
    Best Starter of all time

I don't like Johto or its starters, however I prefer totodile over the others.
    Best Starter of all time

Majestic
    Ultra-cute
    Dangerous
    Kute
    Indestructible
    Powerfully cute
    Best Starter of all time

Same as johto, except I kinda liked Sinnoh, and this one is dual typed! (dumb johto...)
    Best Starter of all time
    Best Starter of all time

I always love the water types, and Smugleaf looked better than Oshawott at first, but smugleaf didn't level up as fast as my Oshawott for some reason, so i abandoned it for Oshawott at lv. 20. I like Daikenki and Smugleaf though :D

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2011
    charmander was my first, and so there's something magical about that.

on a side note, pikachu may be seriously worn out now, but pokemon yellow version was just amazing.

Years
  • My favorite starter and pokémon is without doubt Typhlosion. As far as I can remember was Chikorita my first pokémon ever, but I know I solo'ed the Elite Four with Typhlosion the first time I got that far. Typhlosion is all cool, but he's kinda useless in battle. I look at Mudkip and Turtwig as the superior starters because of the part ground-type of their last evolution. Earthquake easily destroys any fire starter.

Back