• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best type combination

rom hunter

tongue-tied
Years
  • Which would be the best type combination according to you?

According to me Dragon/Steel would be the best because I prefer strong defense. It would be still weak against Ground and Fighting type but this combination will provide a great resistance (vs. Electric, Grass, Water, Psychic, Ghost, Dark, Bug, Flying, Normal, Rock, Poison).

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Which is why they probably will never make a Dragon/Steel type. Or wait... Dialga happened!

Worst typing has gotta be Ground/Rock. It's weak to absolutely everything; Brock's pokémon in Yellow version are beatable with Pikachu if you make an effort :p

I think Dark/Ice is really cool :3 Sneasel and Weavile's typing. It's not particularly useful in their build, I suppose, but it makes for a cool air about the pokémon. That wasn't meant to be punny, hrrm. Just, sneaky cold killer thief. Actually, many typings with Ice make for interesting pokémon. Grass/Ice, Ghost/Ice, Ground/Ice to name some.

And personally I couldn't care less about stats since I don't really play competitively ;) in case you wanted to tell me that the combinations I like are weak somehow.

Years
  • I quite like Flying being paired with things, such as Fire and Ice and I also think Malamar's pairing of Dark and Psychic is cool because it embodies how certain types that are maybe considered opposites (Dark being supereffective against Psychic I mean) can actually function really well together cause both types really suit Malamar's line.

My favourite type pairing though I think is Houndoom's line of Fire and Dark, purely because Fire's my favourite type and out of my second favourite types (Dark, Flying, Fighting, Bug and Ice), I just think Dark works the best lol :) I suppose an advantage is that Fire cancels out slightly one of Dark's weaknesses (Bug) :)

Years
  • Of all the non-legendary stuff, I think Steel/Fairy is the best defensive typing. It resists a lot of common types, like Dark (since Steel doesn't resist it anymore), Ice, Fairy, and immunity to Dragon and Poison. Although it doesn't resist Ghost or Fighting, I think it's a very good typing to have.

This is just in terms of practical use that I can think of, so i'm not saying favorite or something right yet.

Years
  • While it would have a 4x weakness to Fire and Fighting type moves (and a regular weakness to Ground types), I'd still like to see a Steel/Ice Pokemon, since it would combine my two favorite types. I'm not sure exactly what type of Pokemon it would be, but I'll just be right here patiently waiting for it- as long as they don't make it an snow cone machine or something.

Aside from that, Mawile's Steel/Fairy typing is pretty solid too, as mentioned above. I still haven't used a Mawile in the new games, but it's one I was looking forward too both because of its typing and its mega evolution.

srinator

Best pokemon would be an electric type with levitate, if it's bulky then we have an op mon since it's not very weak to anything.

As for favourite I would love to see grass fire

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I really like stuff like Poison/Dark. The one type weakness is pretty solid, sadly the only Poison/Dark types...not so much. Good concept, pulled off badly in my opinion. I also really like Chandelure's typing, which is Ghost/Fire. Two strong, mostly special attacking types put together. They take out a large number of types on the type table, and are two of my favourite types.

Magistrum

☆The Fakemon Magister☆
    Years
  • Before Gen 6, Dragon, Water, Fighting and Steel are among the best types to have in a team. Pokemon with a type combination including one or two of these types are almost a must, as the first 3 are types with good offensive STAB moves while the last one resists the most types in the game.

However the Fairy type and Steel losing its Ghost/Dark resist changed things this Gen. Dragon and Fighting cannot plow through easily anymore because of Fairy and Weather ability rebalance lowered Water's offensive capabilities.

The way I see it, type combos having Dragon, Steel and/or Fairy are arguably still the best ones, but the advantages of the first two are not that big anymore compared to last gen.

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    Where are all the Fire/Grass types? That would be cool. Like, base a pokemon on the fleur-de-lis, and have it represent light + a blossom.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Best pokemon would be an electric type with levitate, if it's bulky then we have an op mon since it's not very weak to anything.

As for favourite I would love to see grass fire

Too bad Eelektross isn't bulky.

And the best type combo that exists to this day would have been Dark/Ghost but thanks to Fairy, now I think it would be Water/Ground. Swampert, Gastrodon, and Quagsire are beasts. I never really cared for Whiscash though.

srinator

And the best type combo that exists to this day would have been Dark/Ghost but thanks to Fairy, now I think it would be Water/Ground. Swampert, Gastrodon, and Quagsire are beasts. I never really cared for Whiscash though.

Whishcash is amazing because dragon dance

Years
  • I personally find Steel/Fairy to be one of the best combinations. It only has two weaknesses (albeit to common attacking types), plenty of resistances, and two immunities--it's sort of like the new Steel/Psychic now that Steel no longer resists Dark and Ghost. I also really like the Pokemon with that typing, and have found them to be very good in-game and competitively. Steel/Ghost is also a pretty good combo. Even though it would've been even better pre-Steel nerf, it still resists quite a bit and is immune to three types, and the one Pokemon line that gets it utilizes it pretty well for the most part. (Only downside is King's Shield doesn't reduce Attack if the opponent uses Earthquake.)

As for nonexistent types, Ghost/Fairy would certainly be interesting to see. It wouldn't have a lot of resistances, but it'd have three immunities and only two weaknesses (Ghost and Steel).

Years
  • Ghost/Dark is probably the best typing. Sadly the 2 pokemon using it aren't that good (well Sableye isn't, Spiritomb is a so-so)

It's immune to 3 types, and resists quite a few, and it has only 1 weakness, the Fairy type, which has the least Pokemon of any type.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    For looks I would imagine steel/fairy or grass/fairy as the best ones for me. We only have one example of each currently and I do enjoy them aesthetically, but what I imagine in my head is so much better. Dark/fairy would look really good too if done right.

As for types I enjoy to use water with almost anything is usually great for me. Water/flying though rot in hell. I also really enjoy poison combos and now that fairy is weak to poison I have more of an excuse to use them

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
  • The best combination for me would be a Ghost/Dark type with justified. :p which willl never happen.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In terms of competitiveness, I suppose dark/ghost is one of the best combinations out there. It doesn't have much weakness aside from fairy, which helps these Pokémon survive better. One of my favorite dark/ghost types would be Sableye; have used it plenty of times before, and it has never failed to take opponents down for me. It could make a great assist to almost any team.

As for worst combination, I'd say fire and rock. It's got four-times weakness against water and ground, and is super-effective against fighting, steel, and grass. There could be more, but these are the only ones I could think of right now. Another would be ice/grass; extremely effective against fire, and weak against fighting, flying, bug, and steel.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • My favorite is fire/dragon. While it is rare, the two examples we do have of it prove that it's a fantastic typing.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Steel/Fairy is the best type combo, IMO. While it has 2 common weaknesses to Fire and Ground, it has a good set of resistances to take advantage of (immunity to Dragon and Poison, as well as resistances to Flying, Rock, Dark, etc.)

Back