• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best way to dip into TCG?

Dreamless

Nightmares kept in Bottles
Years
  • I'm interested in the Pokemon TCG. I do have a few cards - some booster packs and a Red Genesect Collection box - but I'm unsure of how to start. I'm not a fan of my Red Genesect Collection box; grass and psychic types aren't really my thing. I was considering buying one of the new theme decks that have just come out, maybe the Rayquaza-EX deck or the Burning Spark theme deck. Is there really anywhere I can go wrong, or are there some decks that just aren't great? Should I just pick a theme deck I think I'll enjoy playing and be able to work with and go from there?

Years
  • I'm interested in the Pokemon TCG. I do have a few cards - some booster packs and a Red Genesect Collection box - but I'm unsure of how to start. I'm not a fan of my Red Genesect Collection box; grass and psychic types aren't really my thing. I was considering buying one of the new theme decks that have just come out, maybe the Rayquaza-EX deck or the Burning Spark theme deck. Is there really anywhere I can go wrong, or are there some decks that just aren't great? Should I just pick a theme deck I think I'll enjoy playing and be able to work with and go from there?

Most theme decks are at about the same level as other theme decks, which is to say: not tournament ready. They can still be plenty of fun, though.

Do you know how to play already? If not, go get one of the Trainer Kit sets. Those have two 30 card decks in them and walk you through the basics. It's been my experience that these tend to be better decks than most theme decks, crazily enough. So it's typically a solid buy even if you do know how to play.

Otherwise, just pick a deck you think you'd like.

Years
  • Personally I'd go for just ordinary booster packs, you can go for the newer like Ancient Origins or maybe slightly older like Legendary Treasures, because I find the excitement of not knowing what's in there and the amazing feeling when you pull a full art or secret rare etc to outweigh the decks on offer.

Dreamless

Nightmares kept in Bottles
    Years
  • I just went out and bought something I thought I would like. Turned out to be Night Striker - it just looked really interesting to me. Thanks for the advice, guys! The shop I went to are having a talk about competitive battling from an expert trainer in a few weeks, so I think I'll be going.

Back