• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Biased against Normal-Type's?

iBlaze

Purple Haze
Years
  • I was just reviewing the teams ive used in pokemon games in the past and i cant remember a normal type pokemon ive ever used. I think the reason being is that there are so many cooler types to match up with trainers. Do you guys use Normal type pokemon, why or why not?

Hawk.

The Hawist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • PA
    • Seen May 19, 2016
    There are plenty of popular Normal types out there including Snorlax, Blissey, Staraptor, Togekiss, even ditto to some degree. But outside of Staraptor, Snorlax, and Togekiss I don't use Normal-Types that much.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • I like using Normal types, the reason being is that most of them are tough in terms of attack, also can last in a fight since most normal types have a lot of Hp. They also have a good movepool, they can learn many moves. Last reason is, they get same type attack bonus from strength and cut! :P

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Well, there are some good normal types, Snorlax and Blissey are some that I can think of now, but the type is underused because it has almost no resistances, almost everything does neutral damage. Also, the normal type attacks aren't particularly good.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Well, I like normal types. Togekiss, Ursaring, Porygon-Z, Blissey, and Sawsbuck are the examples of Normal type pokemon I used. Porygon-Z, to some extent is one of the most powerful Normal type. I think with the right moves it can be used for competitive play too.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I adore Normal-Types and use them regularly on teams. Admittedly I like them mostly for their designs rather than their usefulness, but overall I find them to be more useful than most other Types. There are plenty of powerful Normal moves that are greatly benefited by STAB, so most Normal Pokemon can pack a hell of a punch. Their wide movepools help cover their disadvantages and can make up for the lack of super-effective STAB. It's a very neutral, balanced Type with a lot of versatility. Most see it as boring, but if anything I find it more fun; generally you have a lot of options with Normal-Types, and you can't be sure what to expect from them.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Normal types include some of my favorite Pokemon, but I can never get myself to consistently use them on a team. They have very diverse movepools, but they typically require using a TM, breeding, or a move tutor, which require more effort into investing towards them.

I mainly look for strong and fast Pokemon, and typically a normal-type will not fit in this criteria, with the exceptions being Togekiss/Staraptor, but those are exclusive to Gen IV and up. So sadly, I only use the regional bird for a Fly slave.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • Even though Normal-types aren't super-effective against any other type, I still like 'em.

Lots of Normal Pokemon can use good TM's, such as Delcatty, Blissey, and Audino.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I used a Normal Pokemon on my team in Emerald, a Slaking. Its ability was annoying, but it has helped cause massive damage during a battle. In D/P/Pt, I used Staraptor.

poke are poke

mischievous
    Years
  • I respect normal type so much that ı even teach ıt surf. some normal types can be greats walls ( blıssey, snorlax) the fact that they are only weak to fıghtıng ıs awesome just teach a normal type a flyıng/psychıc move

Years
  • Cinccino. Ever heard of it? It is just...pwnsome. Yes it is, honies~ :p Girafarig was good for a while too, except it had Bug and Dark weakness. I rather have one weakness than 2. xD I use lots of Normal/Flying types too, Staraptor, Swellow to name a few. =3

In Emerald, Spinda can be annoying. It knows Faint Attack too! Meloetta is a cool legendary too, for a normal type. XD I hope they make more dual Normal types in future.

NothingPersonal

The vietnamese pokemon master.
    Years
  • Most regional birds are normal type and I use them because they're awesome (e.g. Fearow, Pidgeot, Staraptor, etc). Then there's snorlax and blissey which are huge walls in the game (I got in a stall war with a chansey just today lol). They're normal attacks may never become super effective, but some are still really cool.

Dent

taste the café m o c h a ♥
    Years
  • I quite like most pure Normal types, if only for their designs. But as with any other type, some I hate (Spinda) and some I adore and will use when available (Linoone).

Years
  • Normal is arguably the worst type in the game. Normal is super effective against absolutely nothing, and unlike Dragon, which is only effective against itself, it doesn't resist anything either. Sure Normal can't be hit by ghost, but it works the same in reverse, so no advantage there. Perhaps the biggest disadvantage to Normal is their absolute lack of parings with other types. Once you remove the flying normal types, there are a grand total of four normal pokemon with a second type, none of these pokemon are particularly good. On a personal level, I have nothing against normal types. In fact, Pidgeot has been one of my favorite Pokemon since I first played Blue. However realistically normal is an inferior type.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • Okay, so the type itself ain't particulary useful, but I just use them because they have good stats (the ones I use atleast) and they just look cool.
    Porygon-Z, Zangoose, Tauros, Braviary, Staraptor, Fearow, Dodrio, Ambipom and Exploud to name a few...XD

Pure normal types also have extremely wide movepools.

Last edited:
    Back