• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen ~*!*~BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENTS IN THESE GAMES~*!*~

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
  • This is the thread where you post your most disappointment moments in the game.

I'll start off:
    I've raised many of my Pokemon from Pokemon Gold, Silver and Crystal and of course I was very happy when I heard that there were new games coming out. I was going to trade those Pokemon to the 3rd generation but they forgot all about 1 and 2 generation and I couldn't trade because of that.

put in your most disappointment moments

:t354:TG

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • GSC's bad levelling system. I don't know what else to say on that. You just know that it's bad.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    3 things.
    The TMs.
    The 3 punching moves are inferior to Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Ice beam. And a headbutt TM? Useless if not for the headbutt trees.

The level curve.
    You fight level 16 pokemon after defeating 5 gyms. I hope that is enough explanation.

And the disgusting excuse for Kanto.
    Mt. Moon was butchered, Rock tunnel was butchered, Cerulean Cave was taken out, as well as viridian forest and the seafoam islands. A volcano blew up in Cinnabar(it still blew up in HG/SS sadly) and took out everything except for the damn PC. Do I need to say more?

Years
  • And the disgusting excuse for Kanto.
    Mt. Moon was butchered, Rock tunnel was butchered, Cerulean Cave was taken out, as well as viridian forest and the seafoam islands. A volcano blew up in Cinnabar(it still blew up in HG/SS sadly) and took out everything except for the damn PC. Do I need to say more?
    This was my biggest disappointment.

Another thing that annoyed me about these games were the dungeons. GSC probably some of the worst dungeons in any Pokemon game. Caves had high Pokémon encounter rates making getting lost very costly. They had a plethora of gimmicky HM puzzles and were near impossible to navigate. Most caves also have very limited vision unless flash was used.

DestinyBender

Mana du vortes, aeria gloris.
    Years
  • Personally, I don't really like the Gyms. Strange names.. except for Jasmine?

The level curve.
    You fight level 16 pokemon after defeating 5 gyms. I hope that is enough explanation.

I agree. It is odd :\

And.. um.. the biggest letdown was the Kanto part.
    What Luck said.

~DB

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I was a bit sad about some of the places in kanto to , but I still like havign kanto in it especially with a working electricity plant. wasnt sad about mount moon or rock tunnel since they were a pain in the butt in thenoriginal versions for me anyway xD

lol I think my biggest disappontment was just that my quagsire couldnt use waterfall .

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • I loved the whole game the only real let down was not being able to catch Mewtwo,Mew or Celebi despite countless rumors.

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    My biggest disappointment is the glitches.
    Heh, you would really hate RBY then.

Yeah, the leveling issue is the biggest for me. I was hoping that some trainers besides champions and Gym Leaders would be leveled up in the remakes, but I looked at the final Rocket Executive's roster and wept.

Headbutt was probably the most useful TM in the game for me. It was the only decently powerful normal-type move that you could teach a Pokemon.

I guess Kanto doesn't really seem that bad to people who played GSC before ever playing RBY. After playing it, I was glad Mt. Moon was changed from the giant, empty, nothingness that was in the original. Less walking = less zubats. The fact that they fixed the downs-syndrome music compositions that were present the the Generation 1 games helped too. (Looking at Lavender town)

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • 3 things.
    The TMs.
    The 3 punching moves are inferior to Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Ice beam. And a headbutt TM? Useless if not for the headbutt trees.

Headbutt was actually quite useful, as it had 70 power and you could obtain it after the second gym and it could be bought again. The 3 punches are indeed inferior to the other 3, but all of them were in TM format and the punches could be taught to more Pokemon.

The low level was annoying, after the 7th Gym all the Pokemon were still low level, then you walk into the Blackthorn Gym and everyone has a powerful Dragonair. But you could just Ice Punch all of them.

dc_united

Josh Wicks doesn't like you
    Years
  • Everything about Kanto.

And the ridiculous leveling curve. There is no reason why I should have to fight lvl 18 wild pokemon when I'm in Mahogany Town. No reason at all, because it makes Pokemon difficult to level up (Though it does give their stats a workout, I must admit)

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    Well I dont think the levelling curve was anybetter in Red and blue , I mean , you got lv 20 -30 pokemon in the victory road. there was no idfference to gsc , which at least had an average level 30 ish pokemon in there.

Zetlian2-kinra

Yup, i make VIDEOS!! :D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2009
    The fact that ceurlean cave was leveled and You never got to hear about mewtwo...
    What happened to him?

Tudj

HeartGold :P
    Years
  • How easy both games were. When I try to play the classic old games I put it done because I just don't get into the old things because of the shocking features of some of the games. Also in Blue/Red/Yellow it was really easy to catch the legendary pokemon, all you have to do is put it to sleep and throw a ball at it.

Years
  • Aww, I wasn't disappointed in these games at all! I was a little happy kid having the time of my life playing them~
    The most disappointing was no Celebi for me... that little shrine in the forest drove me crazy, I wanted my Celebi! I thought I'd finally get it when I bought Crystal, but nooo, not even then... XD
    Otherwise, I wasn't disappointed at all! ^^

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
  • How easy both games were. When I try to play the classic old games I put it done because I just don't get into the old things because of the shocking features of some of the games. Also in Blue/Red/Yellow it was really easy to catch the legendary pokemon, all you have to do is put it to sleep and throw a ball at it.
    Really? I find the legendaries extremely frustrating to catch in RBY.

Boney used Ultra Ball!
    You missed the pokemon!
    ^This x10 = me: "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!"

But yeah, while GSC are my absolute favorite in the series. Kanto, the weak level curve, and the fact that GSC also has the weakest elite 4 + champion out of all the games (especially Koga, he's a joke) was kind of disappointing.

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
  • No Celebi, even with glitches lol. Also not being able to trade to 3rd gen (though I understand why you can't) and the fact that my cartridges died :(.

As for stuff in the games themselves... I honestly didn't find the levelling as annoying as most people, but I didn't like how some Pokemon were only available very late in the game (hello Larvitar and Misdreavus), and nighttime-only Pokemon was always annoying because I'd messed up the clock and night started around 11 pm instead of 8 pm, so I was almost always sleeping at the time.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Well I dont think the levelling curve was anybetter in Red and blue , I mean , you got lv 20 -30 pokemon in the victory road. there was no idfference to gsc , which at least had an average level 30 ish pokemon in there.

Um. No there weren't. I do not recall anything around that level. I thought the RBY levelling was perfect.

Also, the fact a MAGNEMITE can run away is strange. Same with Unown...guess they just don't like us.

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    The fact that your gamesave can go "WTF BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!" Every moment.

Back