• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Bikes and HMs gone in Sun and Moon

Crizzle

Legend
Years
  • Will you still be able to fly or surf with your Pokemon(with the TMs) like in previous games or is there some replacement for that as well?
    I still like the idea of using my own Pokemon for transportation.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Verlisify is gonna be ticked when he hears about the removal of bikes, because we have yet to know if PokeRides will also hatch eggs faster than normal walking.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • As was actually pretty annoyed when I saw this in the headline, if only because I've been dodging info about the games and so far the headlines had been pretty vague about things.

But that's completely beaten by them getting rid of HMs, the biggest anti-fun mechanic in the series. I swear, S&M are getting better by the day. Really contending for the best entries in the series at this point.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Both of these removals don't phase me, more so the HMS as they were a pain to deal with in the first place. When playing the demo, I found that the Poké Ride system is a fine replacement for the Bicycle. We still have Surf, Fly, and Waterfall as TMs which is another good change imo.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • So, the bike is gone? Sad, because the bike themes always have their charm... But, remember this is the demo version, so they might have scrapped a lot of items and Pokémon.

HMs are gone too? I agree with everyone that they're irritating, because they do get annoying as the new Pokémon roll in, but I hope all the moves which were formerly HMs are now TMs and still all exist in the games.

Years
  • Although I'm super hyped for PokeRide and it's something I've wanted forever, I'm really gonna miss the bike, I've had some fond memories on that thing. I can't say the same for HMs however and I can't wait to be travelling around on Pokemon, also, it would appear HMs such as Surf and Fly have been turned into TMs, I'm not sure if this is 100% confirmed but it'll be pretty cool if that's the truth.

Years
  • The only thing that I don't like about this is that they use Tauros as the main Pokemon to ride and I don't care for that Pokemon. But putting that aside, this is more great news on top of what seems to be a great game. I wonder what other improvements they've made that we haven't found yet.

Verlisify is gonna be ticked when he hears about the removal of bikes, because we have yet to know if PokeRides will also hatch eggs faster than normal walking.
    Or if they even count toward hatching at all. But I would not be surprised to see some new mechanic to help in hatching eggs to help offset any changes caused by the loss of the bike. You know, like the O-Power.

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    HMs being gone is certainly an improvement, from what I seen in the demo Pokeride is a lot more fun and straightfowards so it's a welcome change!

Kind of upset about the bike though, Pokeride is fun and all, but to actually go fast you need to press the B, I'm also not really a fan of the outfit the trainer wears while riding, I'd rather just walk so I don't have to see my trainer wearing that on all the battles.

Years
  • HMs are gone too? I agree with everyone that they're irritating, because they do get annoying as the new Pokémon roll in, but I hope all the moves which were formerly HMs are now TMs and still all exist in the games.

Of the HMs that are being reworked into TMs, we have Surf, Waterfall and Fly. The others are gone entirely.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    So you hatch eggs by riding Tauros around? Will there be a loop so you don't have to stop and turn around? Can Tauros just change directions like the bike or does he need to turn around like Rhyhorn in XY.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    Just curious but does Tauros run as fast as the bike or slower?

Also I wonder if there will be rocks that respawn meaning you'll have to break them every time you come back around the bend assuming there is a loop by the daycare. Or maybe just once. And also how do you get Tauros, is he limited to an area or do you call him on our phone.

Years
  • Like mentioned above, we don't know for sure but I'm sure it'll be the go-to new way to hatch eggs. There's also the datamine indicating the Fletchling line is in the Alola regional Dex which means having a Flame Body Talonflame to hatch eggs faster is going to be back for the sake of convenience.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm glad that HMs are gone, considering that Cut and Strength are worthless in battle. Surf, Waterfall, and Fly are staying as TMs and I'm also happy about that.

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2017
    I believe this video expresses everyone's opinions on HMs being done away with:

The bike isn't a big issue, with the Pokerides replacing it.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • Thank god HM's are gone, and thank again for putting the good moves as TM's.

The removal of the bike is kind of sad, it was a Pokemon staple, and it made hatching eggs SO much easier (which might be rough on riding Pokemon) but otherwise it doesn't really matter to me BECAUSE YOU GET TO RIDE ON A TAUROS EVERYWHERE YEAAAAH!! I just hope there are more Poke Ride options.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • There are more Pokemon options for riding - from trailers we already know of Mudsdale and Stoutland for instance. Same for water-riding.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • There are more Pokemon options for riding - from trailers we already know of Mudsdale and Stoutland for instance. Same for water-riding.

I'm just hoping there are more that haven't been seen in the trailers, riding a small fast Pokemon like Siddo for example would be a lot of fun.

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2017
    By the way, to anyone wondering, some of the HM moves are going to be TMs. Surf, Fly, and Waterfall are still going to exist. Cut and Strength should go straight in the bin, though.

Back