• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Bikes

Ridable Pokémon or Acro Bike

• Ridable Pokémon

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Acro Bike

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    There were two bikes in RSE: the Acro Bike, which let you do sweet tricks, and the Mach Bike, which let you zoom around at high speeds. Both played a role in helping you get to different areas and explore all the region had to offer.

What do you think will become of this dual-bike mechanic?

To me, it was an awesome feature, but it was tedious to have to go back and forth to exchange your bike every time you wanted to switch. I'm hoping that with the circle pad and D-pad, you have only one bike, and when you use the circle pad it switches to Mach mode, and using the D-pad activates Acro mode (DPP did something similar with "gears," but it only switched how fast you went). Or maybe it's the other way around, and you can do tricks on your Acro bike similar to how you can perform stunts with your skates in XY.

What do you think?

Pinta77

I think it's possible they may make you switch bikes like in the old version just to stay true to it, but it's also possible they'll utilize the gears. I'm also hoping for roller skates.

Years
    I actually hope they don't bring back rollerskates. Or at least make it a key item. Having to change your bikes adds to the challenge of the game.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I'd rather there be gears. Honestly the reason bike puzzles were actually challenging in RSE was that you had to go get the right tool for the job but everyone probably realizes nobody can be bothered with that. So a gear toggle would be best. And maybe more tricks for Acro mode? Like, ones that actually take skill so you could potentially fall off railings and that. Maybe a few tricks for Mach too. But no skates pls, Hoenn is nature-based rather than people-based really. Doesn't go with the style.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    Ya know, I like the idea of gears a LOT.
    I hadn't thought about it but can you imagine how annoying it would be if they implemented diagonal jumping for the acro bike? Especially because of how easy it can be to mess up the acro bike trick anyways.

Setting it to the D-pad rather than the circle-pad would make a lot of sense. It'd also be nice if you didn't have to go back to Mauville every time you need to use a different bike.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I honestly loved having two different bikes.There weren't very many puzzles, but all of them had good Secret Base locations past them, and some of them made shorter travel paths that avoided a large portion of trainers, so that I appreciated lol. Plus it was fun having the ability to choose between bikes. Plus each bike allowed access to a certain portion of the Safari Zone, which i thought was pretty neat, too.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    I kinda would like the Acro and Mach bikes being added in since we still had the Sky Pillar puzzle and the Desert Tower (I think that was called) puzzle and I kinda loved those albeit they were hard.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Desert Tower (I think that was called) puzzle

Mirage Tower :P

Anyway, I don't see why they wouldn't bring these bikes back, but I don't want gears, because you would need to choose between the benefits of these bikes. I really didn't like that the Acro Bike wasn't good for doing anything major, since with the Mach Bike you could set cycling records, get a fossil and get Rayquaza. Besides, it was really fast transport. I would have really loved it if they made some thing important (like the Regis) only accessible through the Acro Bike. The only thing we can do is go to a few misc. places to get stuff like Leaf Stone or climb the Jagged Pass without having to use the Cable Car.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    Praying for gear shifts because going back to Ryder for a different bike every time a new puzzle came up was a little tiring, especially if you didn't have Fly yet. That's all I want to see about the bikes.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Praying for gear shifts because going back to Ryder for a different bike every time a new puzzle came up was a little tiring, especially if you didn't have Fly yet. That's all I want to see about the bikes.

The good part is, until you get fly (near Fortree City) there isn't much you'd use the Bikes for. The only thing you might use it for is the Mirage Tower, and that is located so close to Mauville, too. The only other reason I could think of is if you want to climb back Jagged Pass as you came down, but then again, there's a Cable Car nearby that does the same thing. So you wouldn't have to worry about that :)

Years

I totally agree, it was annoying having to return to Ryder every time you came across a dirt slope or hopping platform/small bridge especially if you have the wrong bike on hand. I'm hoping they can let you change the gears on your own like in Diamond, Pearl & Platinum.

Years
    All I hope for is that the shop is run by Rydel that's all.

But seriously, it'd be more nostalgic to have the ability to switch bikes. However, I will say that it'd be neat to have the Y button to switch between Acro and Mach functions, just so that you wouldn't have to return to Mauville to exchange bikes.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I loved switching between the two, I primarily used the Mach Bike for high speeds but it was also fun to use the Acro Bike for stunts and what not!

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I loved switching between the two, I primarily used the Mach Bike for high speeds but it was also fun to use the Acro Bike for stunts and what not!

Remember side-jumping over the narrow planks near Fortree? What if they actually turned that into stunts? And if we do it wrong, we get to fall off our bike XD. Maybe not near water, though, as we might not have Surf on our Pokémon.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    The good part is, until you get fly (near Fortree City) there isn't much you'd use the Bikes for. The only thing you might use it for is the Mirage Tower, and that is located so close to Mauville, too. The only other reason I could think of is if you want to climb back Jagged Pass as you came down, but then again, there's a Cable Car nearby that does the same thing. So you wouldn't have to worry about that :)

Not only that but if you had the Acro Bike you basically were covered for every puzzle up until Fortree City. I mean, I wouldn't be opposed to gears, though. I just wish the new bikes would be pink. ;u;
    Ooh! I wonder if they'll put in the choice of color again, like they did in XY.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Given how important bikes were in Hoenn I reckon that the bikes will get some decent amount of attention during the development of the games. I imagine that GameFreak will look at what went wrong in R/S/E, and one of the largest drawbacks to those games was the dual-bike factor. More so, the hinderance on players having to go back and forth to Mauville to change their bike. This essentially made players have to needless backtrack when they want to actually uncover a discovery they made (new areas reachable by variant bike types).

If I were to hazard a guess, we'll have some sort of toggle available to us at our fingertips. We won't need to track back and forth, but I hope they don't remove the mechanic completely. It was pretty neat having new challenges depending on your bike type, so perhaps they'll bring in more areas only accessible by players on bikes and perhaps make more variants of how the bike can change. The Arco and Mach bikes were awesome, but maybe some more types, for some more puzzles, would be nice and more of a challenge to combat the removal of having to go back and forth from Mauville. The latter of that previous sentence being more of a challenge than actually uncovering new areas with your bike.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Given how important bikes were in Hoenn I reckon that the bikes will get some decent amount of attention during the development of the games. I imagine that GameFreak will look at what went wrong in R/S/E, and one of the largest drawbacks to those games was the dual-bike factor. More so, the hinderance on players having to go back and forth to Mauville to change their bike. This essentially made players have to needless backtrack when they want to actually uncover a discovery they made (new areas reachable by variant bike types).

If I were to hazard a guess, we'll have some sort of toggle available to us at our fingertips. We won't need to track back and forth, but I hope they don't remove the mechanic completely. It was pretty neat having new challenges depending on your bike type, so perhaps they'll bring in more areas only accessible by players on bikes and perhaps make more variants of how the bike can change. The Arco and Mach bikes were awesome, but maybe some more types, for some more puzzles, would be nice and more of a challenge to combat the removal of having to go back and forth from Mauville. The latter of that previous sentence being more of a challenge than actually uncovering new areas with your bike.
    I definitely agree. Switching between bikes is not challenging, it's just time-consuming. Having two bikes really did enhance the exploration, so I don't want that gone. What I want is for them to be incorporated into one bike. And imagine the upgraded puzzles they could create to make up for that--puzzles where you have to deftly switch between the Acro and Mach functions instead of just relying on one. That would be a cool and welcomed challenge!

Back