• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bird Pokemon

Years
  • Comparing the bird pokemon and there capabilities of flight.

I was recently looking on all the flying type bird pokemon and found something weird that i would like to show you and get your thoughts.

I will list the pokemon in order of size that was listed on Bulbapedia and i'm sure it will shock you.

Spr_5b_164.png
    Spr_5b_018.png
    Spr_5b_521_m.png
    Spr_5b_022.png
    Spr_5b_398_m.png
    Spr_4d_277.png

Who would believe that Noctowl is the biggest of all those pokemon but in the anime it appears that it and swellow may be the smallest of the bunch. My thought is that if Noctowl is the largest why have we never seen it been flown on. Is it that the anime is inaccurate? or is it that bulbapedia is wrong?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • The anime isn't consistent with the heights of Pokemon, such as Drew's Roselia (normal Roselia are 1 foot tall; Drew's is the size of a normal child). Also, on some occasions, Dawn's Togekiss is taller than Dawn, while in others, it's shorter than Dawn is. So yes, referring to those examples, I think that the sizes of the bird Pokemon in the Pokemon games aren't as consistent in the anime

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Like any species of Pokemon, the heights in the Pokedex are likely averages... individual Pokemon can be larger or smaller than that. That's why there's a "Catch the biggest Magikarp" competition.

And I don't really think the producers of the anime really consult the Pokedex for heights... or animate them with a consistent size from segment to segment for that matter.

Pika-power

Jesus of Suburbia
    Years
  • Sometimes Game Freak can be inconsistent in the information they supply to Pokemon fans. But put yourself in their shoes. Would you really care that much about the weight of Pokemon with much more important stuff to do?

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Think of it this way: people have different heights so why not Pokemon? And besides, the anime is a different canon. So its not always anime=game.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • Pokémon sizes aren't even consistent in the games, either:

Wailord is roughly half it's Poké
    Dex size in the Coliseum series, and is only six times the player's sprite in HG/SS. I'd say that the Pokédex refers to the average height of a species, and not the uniform height of every member.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I'm totally shocked Noctowl is the largest.... Like what? Looking at it in-game, in the anime and just sprites of it, it appears the smallest out of the lot. How is Fearow and Staraptor smaller than it ?_? Fearow looks as though it has the broadest wingspan too.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
  • I always thought that Pidgeot is the biggest bird, apart from being the one I like. The anime and video games are not great relationship so we can not blame either, and besides I agree, the information in the Pokedex must be an average sort of a pokemon, but as in the real world varies depending on many factors.

Back