• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

BL Needs to Be Its Own Tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
Years
  • I've always griped on about this; we have 50 Pokemon that are put in a tier that's considered "too strong for UU, but not strong enough for Standard". I say "Don't fence-sit, idiots; make it its own tier."

The overview:

Batman (Crobat) @ Wide Lens
    Timid
    EV's: 160 HP, 132 Special Attack, 216 Speed
    -Hypnosis
    -Taunt
    -U-Turn
    -Air Slash

Crobat's a fantastic lead due to it being able to induce sleep and is a fantastic team member in general due to a valuable Fighting resistance. Taunt is for suicide leads who ATTEMPT Stealth Rock, U-Turn is usually used after Taunt or Hypnosis to switch for damage, and Air Slash is for the handy 30% flinch rate and STAB. Considering a nature that supports U-Turn more, but honestly, part of me could care less. Thoughts?

NastyTouch (Tangrowth) @ Leftovers
    Impish
    EV's: 252 HP, 228 Defense, 28 Speed
    -Power Whip
    -Knock Off
    -Leech Seed
    -Sleep Powder

Tangrowth is a beastly little bunch of plants. A great physical wall despite its terrible type, it can switch in on super-effective hits with impunity and begin torturing its enemies with SporeSeeding. I wonder how Gyarados sleeps with whiplash and a bunch of seeds sucking its life away...:#

Dyna (Rampardos) @ Choice Scarf
    Jolly
    EV's: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    -Head Smash
    -Earthquake
    -Crunch
    -Pursuit

Though it isn't the most nimble of revenge killers, I love this thing so bloody much that on a BL team, I HAD to put it in. Rampardos' 160 base Attack is ridiculous, and sure, Head Smash may be a bit overkill, but it makes even the most sturdy physical walls blush, despite the killer headache Rampardos gets (brain matter leaks out...ewwwwww :P) Head Smash for STAB and to tear through a ton of stuffs, Earthquake and Crunch for coverage, and Pursuit for the "HA, FOOL, YOU TRY TO ESCAPE MEEEEE?!" factor.

Slickback (Mismagius) @ Leftovers
    Timid
    EV's: 108 HP, 164 Special Attack, 236 Speed
    -Calm Mind
    -Substitute
    -HP Fighting
    -Shadow Ball

Pokemon's ultimate pimp can function as both a special wall and sweeper. If I can get behind a sub, there is little aside from Weavile (which is the metagame's laughing stock) that can do much that can really do much to kill it off, since Blissey can't toss Subs. HP Fighting is for Darks and Steels who resist STAB Shadow Ball, and Normals who are immune to it.

HAIL! (Registeel) @ Leftovers
    Relaxed
    EV's: 252 HP, 56 Defense, 200 Special Defense
    -Toxic
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Punch / Hammer Arm

Continuing on my theme of walls, I throw in Registeel for its defensive stats, typing, and accesibility to Stealth Rock. Toxic is to straight-up annoy all non-Steels, Stealth Rock is standard, Earthquake and Ice Punch are for coverage. Skarmory lulz at this, but I can just use Tangrowth to asborb the Spikes with impunity, as even Brave Bird / Drill Peck bounces off of Tangrowth.

Cerberus (Houndoom) @ Life Orb
    Flash Fire
    Timid
    EV's: 40 HP, 252 Special Attack, 216 Speed
    -Nasty Plot
    -Flamethrower
    -Dark Pulse
    -Hidden Power Fighting

I love Houndoom. I've loved it ever since it was made, and with NP at its disposal, I love it all the more. It soaks up Fire attacks that scare most of my team, and strikes back with boosted Flamethrowers, and that's without Nasty Plot. Dark Pulse is for STAB and for Pyschics that haunt my team, and HP Fighting is for coverage.

Let me know what you think! ;)

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    This is a pretty good team, although Scarf Medicham can hurt it quite a bit. Tangrowth can stall it I guess, but if it's CB, then you're done for (Rampardos revenge kills it)

StrickeN

The mighty force will Strike
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    I've always griped on about this; we have 50 Pokemon that are put in a tier that's considered "too strong for UU, but not strong enough for Standard". I say "Don't fence-sit, idiots; make it its own tier."

The overview:

Batman (Crobat) @ Leftovers
    Timid
    EV's: 160 HP, 132 Attack, 216 Speed
    -Roost
    -Taunt
    -U-Turn
    -Brave Bird

Crobat's a fantastic lead due to it being able to induce sleep and is a fantastic team member in general due to a valuable Fighting resistance. Taunt is for suicide leads who ATTEMPT Stealth Rock, U-Turn is usually used after Taunt or Hypnosis to switch for damage, and Air Slash is for the handy 30% flinch rate and STAB. Considering a nature that supports U-Turn more, but honestly, part of me could care less. Thoughts?
    Converting those extra EV's into attack, dropping the crappy 60% hit ratio sleep inducer and throwing on roost allows you to come in on some rocks that might be up later int he game. Not only that, brave Bird does a fantastic job of doing damage.
    The reason for dropping the slot for sleep is due to the fact that having double sleep status is a bit redundant, and hypnosis isn't viable enough.

NastyTouch (Tangrowth) @ Leftovers
    Impish
    EV's: 252 HP, 228 Defense, 28 Speed
    -Power Whip
    -Knock Off
    -Leech Seed
    -Sleep Powder

Tangrowth is a beastly little bunch of plants. A great physical wall despite its terrible type, it can switch in on super-effective hits with impunity and begin torturing its enemies with SporeSeeding. I wonder how Gyarados sleeps with whiplash and a bunch of seeds sucking its life away...:#

Dyna (Rampardos) @ Choice Scarf
    Jolly
    EV's: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    -Head Smash
    -Earthquake
    -Crunch
    -Pursuit

Though it isn't the most nimble of revenge killers, I love this thing so bloody much that on a BL team, I HAD to put it in. Rampardos' 160 base Attack is ridiculous, and sure, Head Smash may be a bit overkill, but it makes even the most sturdy physical walls blush, despite the killer headache Rampardos gets (brain matter leaks out...ewwwwww :P) Head Smash for STAB and to tear through a ton of stuffs, Earthquake and Crunch for coverage, and Pursuit for the "HA, FOOL, YOU TRY TO ESCAPE MEEEEE?!" factor.
    I've run the same Rampardos before, Pursuit can end up ruining you. You might consider a replacement, besides it's hard to come in safely with something THIS fragile and pursuit it gone.

Slickback (Mismagius) @ Leftovers
    Timid
    EV's: 108 HP, 164 Special Attack, 236 Speed
    -Calm Mind
    -Substitute
    -HP Fighting
    -Shadow Ball

Pokemon's ultimate pimp can function as both a special wall and sweeper. If I can get behind a sub, there is little aside from Weavile (which is the metagame's laughing stock) that can do much that can really do much to kill it off, since Blissey can't toss Subs. HP Fighting is for Darks and Steels who resist STAB Shadow Ball, and Normals who are immune to it.

HAIL! (Registeel) @ Leftovers
    Relaxed
    EV's: 252 HP, 56 Defense, 200 Special Defense
    -Toxic
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Punch / Hammer Arm

Continuing on my theme of walls, I throw in Registeel for its defensive stats, typing, and accesibility to Stealth Rock. Toxic is to straight-up annoy all non-Steels, Stealth Rock is standard, Earthquake and Ice Punch are for coverage. Skarmory lulz at this, but I can just use Tangrowth to asborb the Spikes with impunity, as even Brave Bird / Drill Peck bounces off of Tangrowth.

Cerberus (Houndoom) @ Life Orb
    Flash Fire
    Timid
    EV's: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
    -Nasty Plot
    -Flamethrower
    -Dark Pulse
    -Hidden Power Fighting

I love Houndoom. I've loved it ever since it was made, and with NP at its disposal, I love it all the more. It soaks up Fire attacks that scare most of my team, and strikes back with boosted Flamethrowers, and that's without Nasty Plot. Dark Pulse is for STAB and for Pyschics that haunt my team, and HP Fighting is for coverage.

Let me know what you think! ;)
    252/252 is the set I run, 40 HP is just plain... wah? the extra speed is useful in some situations.

it's a really solid team, a few changes COULD possibly be made, but they aren't of major importance.

You really do have a Cham weakness, it IS possible to Revenge it here, but it would take some prediction to get something in safely to KO it.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
  • I love that you use Rampardos, very unique. ^___^

I also definitely agree with the BL statement, having an "in-between" is so lame.

(Sorry, just a passing comment, not a team rate XD)

Years
  • it's a really solid team, a few changes COULD possibly be made, but they aren't of major importance.

You really do have a Cham weakness, it IS possible to Revenge it here, but it would take some prediction to get something in safely to KO it.
    Um, Tangy should be able to deal with it unless you switch on a Choice Band Ice Punch. Regardless, Houndoom and Mismagius seem to be foing to same thing, so I suggest removing one of them. Although they both offer important immunities, Mismagius is probably the better choice.

Also, when using sprites in RMTs/Logs, it's probably better to avoid Smogon's sprites, as the canvases are sized to the picture, giving you a poor layout.

StrickeN

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    Um, Tangy should be able to deal with it unless you switch on a Choice Band Ice Punch. Regardless, Houndoom and Mismagius seem to be foing to same thing, so I suggest removing one of them. Although they both offer important immunities, Mismagius is probably the better choice.

Also, when using sprites in RMTs/Logs, it's probably better to avoid Smogon's sprites, as the canvases are sized to the picture, giving you a poor layout.

Houndoom really only offers you some psychic immunities, and a grass/dark resistance. Which is covered by his Registeel, who isn't weak to water. However, he's already 3 pokemon fighting weak, dropping a fighting weakness and keeping a fighting immunity would probably be the better idea here.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • I keep Houndoom for the Fire immunity. Both have two immunities; while in general Mismaigus' are superior, Houndoom's are important as well.

Considering dropping Rampardos for SubPetaya Empoleon. Thoughts?

StrickeN

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    I keep Houndoom for the Fire immunity. Both have two immunities; while in general Mismaigus' are superior, Houndoom's are important as well.

Considering dropping Rampardos for SubPetaya Empoleon. Thoughts?

I don't see Empoleon doing much for this team. Empoleon lacks in speed, but is farely bulky.

It just adds to your fighting/Earth weakness, and removes a fire resistance which is needed.

Years
    • Age 14
    • Seen Jul 6, 2011
    It doesn't add, since Rampardos is already weak to Ground/Fighting.

Magmortified

Wherever I fly
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2009
    Empoleon is actually a pretty sweet sweeper (I actually got swept twice by a SubPetaya Empoleon with Agility). So it's a consideration. The "oh noes, Fire resistance must stay" is actually kind of iffy, since on average, Empoleon will only be taking slightly more (and this is assuming a 0/0 HP/Special Defense spread) from, say, a Flamethrower than Rampardos. Not counting Sandstorm, since I'm assuming this team's not meant for playing against OU.

I'm not really sure of what else I could say past that, since, really, BL isn't a tier. It's a ban list. Sure, Uber is a ban list too, but at least there's a strong enough following in that you can play with stuff that you couldn't possibly use otherwise (whereas many BL Pokemon are playable in OU to at least some extent). Generally, it's just an unbalanced (a ban list for a tier that's a ban list? Sounds great!) and unpopular metagame.

Fun Fact: BL doesn't define something not strong enough for OU, it's just not used enough to qualify for OU status, which is different. UU-BL difference is determined by strength. BL-OU is determined by usage.

MM_Zero

Resurrected warrior
    Years
  • Well I don't really have experience with the pokes you are using but...I do agree with your statement. Having a metagame with no OUs allowed would be quite fun actually, considering how dumb platinum is. Sure, BL is a banlist for OU, but it would be a pretty neat metagame.

StrickeN

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    Well I don't really have experience with the pokes you are using but...I do agree with your statement. Having a metagame with no OUs allowed would be quite fun actually, considering how dumb platinum is. Sure, BL is a banlist for OU, but it would be a pretty neat metagame.

Typo?

BL is a UU banlist. OU metagame is simply anything but Uber

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • That is the point of this RMT; to see the thoughts other forum members have on BL being its own tier.

That being said, I want to make a new RMT. Am I allowed to keep this thread open for the sake of discussion on the tier, or would the mods rather have it closed so I don't have two RMT's clogging the first page?

Magmortified

Wherever I fly
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2009
    That is the point of this RMT; to see the thoughts other forum members have on BL being its own tier.

That being said, I want to make a new RMT. Am I allowed to keep this thread open for the sake of discussion on the tier, or would the mods rather have it closed so I don't have two RMT's clogging the first page?

If that were the case, why not just make a thread for the sole purpose of discussing BL as a tier? =P

Also:

Having a metagame with no OUs allowed would be quite fun actually

UU.

._.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • That is the point of this RMT; to see the thoughts other forum members have on BL being its own tier.

This thread is to aid your team, nothing more. If you wish to have a BL discussion, post a separate (well thought out) discussion thread.

Seeing as you no longer need assistance on the team, lock time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back