• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black and White 3D claim bogus?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 7, 2015
    Well the 3D difference is obvious, even if it is an optical illusion!
    But with the new 3D maps will the hero's ow keep moving in straight lines like in previous games, or is it gonna be free to move in any way (diagonally for instance)?

Looks to be like previous games unfortunately. Haven't seen any evidence of free movement, or even 8-directional movement.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Here are some more pictures of the different views in HeartGold:

Bird's Eye View:
    Spoiler:

Top-Down View:
    Spoiler:

2D View: (like the GBA Games)
    Spoiler:

And here is a video to go along with my screenshots posted in posts 26 and 29.

You'r not exactly amazing, any idiot can use those action replay codes (I use them all the time :D) but your point still hasn't been proven, all those codes do is just pull up the building images up straight it looks horrible... the graphics in BW are still better.
    Okay so lets take another little look at the graphics in hiun city:
    Black and White 3D claim bogus?

I don't wanna explain all the details go I highlighted all the bit and bobs that have been improved....:

YA ACTION REPLAY CODE CAN DO THAT CAN THEY ? xD

To be honest, OP I just think your talking about the actual style of the buildings and tiles not the actual graphics....
    Now its either that or ive come to the conclusion that:

You be Trollin'

Saxisai

Unbeatable 3's-Unstopable Trio
    Years
    how in the world am i trolling? but anyway, i know im not amazing, i never said i did, so what was the point in that? i was just showing the differences between the two, like you did, i was providing picture references to compare the two, you just topped it off, so call me a troll if you like, but I dont think i am

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
    Mew, what the hell were you trying to prove with those images? Because you didn't prove anything at all. There is roughly the same amount of 3D in Gen 4 as there appears to be in Gen 5. The characters are STILL all sprites. I seriously have no idea what your post was trying to achieve.

Admittedly on closer inspection all the 3D is slightly more detailed, but saying there's more 3D is just wrong. Trees perhaps being a possible exception, though only partly.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
    I agree that it's not a drastic change. It's still going to use the same hardware that DP used, I just think the developers are finally letting us get our money's worth out of the hardware the DS has to offer (which is six-year-old technology, if everyone remembers). They really did not attempt anything impressive graphically with DPPt or HGSS (although the environment had a lot more detail in HGSS, imo), they only went with the bare minimum of what they could do without making it two dimensional.

BW is what fourth generation should have looked like. But Gamefreak has always lagged behind the rest of the industry when it comes to graphics, so I was neither surprised nor disappointed.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Mew, what the hell were you trying to prove with those images? Because you didn't prove anything at all. There is roughly the same amount of 3D in Gen 4 as there appears to be in Gen 5. The characters are STILL all sprites. I seriously have no idea what your post was trying to achieve.

Admittedly on closer inspection all the 3D is slightly more detailed, but saying there's more 3D is just wrong. Trees perhaps being a possible exception, though only partly.
    Alot, and im sure it was proven, I was showing the differences between the hacked 3D effects...

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    Yo, I have managed to see a lot of leaked photos and videos of the upcoming Black and White title. You know, you get Reshiram in White and all? Well, looking at the images and stuff, I see no difference in the actual graphics department other than the battles.

The battles will have moving sprites, a dynamic camera, and improved battle animations. But the developers claim said that the 3D environment will look even more detailed. I haven't seen a single change. Sure, the camera angle is different, but the overall graphics have not changed a bit. Is this a lie to sell, or are the graphics REALLY improved...?

You know, you get Reshiram in Black and all?
    You know, you get Zekrom in White and all?

DannyB01

Shiny Hoarder!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2012
    There's no arguing it isn't 3D. But even if the graphics are perfect i'd prefer a top-down game any time, I'm actually very annoyed they even tried to make it 3D. If they want to change the look of the game so much, then why can't they just make a 100% fresh handheld pokemon game (that isn't mystery dungeon). I'd be first in line for that :D

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
    Alot, and im sure it was proven, I was showing the differences between the hacked 3D effects...
    It was not. You did not. At least not to me. Little difference besides rotation around one point, which is only in this one area and isn't even really a "detail" improvement.

One more thing: HG/SS's camera angle is almost always fixed, so if B/W's camera is more dynamic (like Platinum's Distorted World), then that's pretty much better three dimensional graphics right there. You can tell that they're trying to render more in this game, though, which is already a step up.
    I haven't played Platinum in the Distortion World, but if you mean moving, I don't see it happening. The sprites would end up looking silly, rotating with the camera. I wouldn't be bothered being proven wrong though.

PalkiaSpace

Panda Hugger <(^_^)>
    Years
    Yes, I've come to be annoyed with that. Not that it's even a big deal or all, but walking 2 tiles in any direction will horribly distort the NPC sprites, Resulting in stretched and blocky sprites. I love the new camera angles, I do, (Regardless of what people say if it's different or not, i'm on the fence about it xD) I like that GameFreak is trying to experiment with 3D, but Like Hiroshi Sotomura said, they don't seem to care for the cripplage of their sprites. xD

Slightly more on topic...>.>

The 3D may be new rendering completely or not, but we don't know yet if B/W runs on D/P/Pt/HG/SS engines or on a new one, made for better 3D.

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
    Anyone else think the cutscenes (and the title screen animations) in HG/SS are a kind of "practice" for Gamefreak for what they hope to to in B&W? From what I've seen of all the flash in the battles, they look quite pretty.
    It seems that they're still opting for the "2.5D" viewpoint...3D environments with 2D sprites. I'm not sure the DS could handle so many polygons on the characters. Take a look at other "full 3D" games...the resolutions aren't so hot.

BigBlastoise

The Big B-Turtle
    Years
    Anyone else think the cutscenes (and the title screen animations) in HG/SS are a kind of "practice" for Gamefreak for what they hope to to in B&W? From what I've seen of all the flash in the battles, they look quite pretty.
    It seems that they're still opting for the "2.5D" viewpoint...3D environments with 2D sprites. I'm not sure the DS could handle so many polygons on the characters. Take a look at other "full 3D" games...the resolutions aren't so hot.

The "2.5D" you are talking about has been done on several games. Harvest Moon 64, Kirby, Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Street Fighter, and several others.

Sage Harpuia

Hey, listen
    Years

No improved graphics, no magical "pop-out-to-your-eyes"-3D-without-glasses, no anti-aliasing.

I agree on the anti-aliasing and the graphics, however I think that the 3DS will be able to automatically create the 3d effect from the polygon data, so B/W and even HG/SS overworld will have the "pop-out-from-the-screen-thing".
    However I hope for the third version to be designed for 3DS so we will hopefully have polygonal character, cross direction and wii-graphic quality.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    It was not. You did not. At least not to me. Little difference besides rotation around one point, which is only in this one area and isn't even really a "detail" improvement.
    Well the post wasn't directed exactly to you so I guess you wouldn't see the whole point of the post at all would you? Now this is all getting a bit out of hand and im not gonna start an argument with you because that seems to me what your trying to do! Oh, im sorry for saying the OP was trollin' im just quite fored of everyone complaining about the new games.. so yeah..
    To be honest we haven't really seem that much footage of the games yet anyway so I think it would be best to wait for them to come out and we could all see for ourselfs how the gasme differs from the old DS games...

tsutaajafan95

#1 Tsutaaja fan
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2010
    i think they mean its just improved it's not actually 3d. although they're probably waitiing til they make remakes of RSE so that will be epic and amazing.

vietazn654

A sound soul dwells within me
    Years
    Someone totally needs to get their eyes checked... And Reshiram is in Black. =P Plus the camera angles make it look 3D enough for me. =P Seriously, plus why does this even matter?? Of course, graphics should change, but seriously, they changed it enough from Gen. IV because of the angles... But whatever.

Years
    • Seen today
    I really don't think this thread will stir up any more meaningful conversation. It's obvious, to any with eyes, that the games are 3D, so it is no more "bogus" than the fact that the game with feature a snake, pig, and sea otter. Whether or not the 3D is as 3D as it could be, or whether it looks good, would, however.

Back