• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black and White: Gimmicked?

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2011
    I recently had a chat with a very avid poke-master i know and dont you think there's a lot of like screw yous in black and white, like the developers where like man these guys will buy anything hey john we gotta name another region, hey why dont we call it that but make it look Japanese like....unova. Also a lot of the Pokemon names of western, i know how the Japanese must feel. Pidove....serious, a pigeon and a dove. Just how many gimmicks are there in B/W, do you like them, intentional???

Palladium

2012 FTW!
    Years
    I recently had a chat with a very avid poke-master i know and dont you think there's a lot of like screw yous in black and white, like the developers where like man these guys will buy anything hey john we gotta name another region, hey why dont we call it that but make it look Japanese like....unova. Also a lot of the Pokemon names of western, i know how the Japanese must feel. Pidove....serious, a pigeon and a dove. Just how many gimmicks are there in B/W, do you like them, intentional???

Unova was based on the United States,
    If you think a pigeon and a dove is something bad(or not didn't quite get what you were trying to say),what about a bunch of eggs, toxic sludge and a sun-shaped meteorite?
    Also, Japanese versions have different names, Pidove over there, is Mamepato to our eastern friends.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

Unova was based on the United States,
    If you think a pigeon and a dove is something bad(or not didn't quite get what you were trying to say),what about a bunch of eggs, toxic sludge and a sun-shaped meteorite?
    Also, Japanese versions have different names, Pidove over there, is Mamepato to our eastern friends.

To add to Unova...
    UNited states
    OF
    America
    ---
    Unova.

I think with the Pidove he was saying that the name was unoriginal. That name made me feel bad that Pidgey was named what it was, this one was so much more like a Pigeon but it couldn't take its rightful name cause they were lazy in Gen 1 and didn't want to think of what the bird looked like so they went with Pidgey. :x

Tbh I love most of the names. Alomomola is awesome, the Hydreigon line is awesome, Serperior, Liepard, Zebstrika, Whimsicott, Dwebble, Joltik, Ferrothorn, all of these are awesome names off the top of my head.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
    Pokemon JUST started to be unoriginal in Gen 5?????? News to me. Almost every Pokemon is based off something in the real world, all the way back to Gen 1, and their names aren't much better. Ekans and Arbok for example. And the regions are based off real world regions, too.

It doesn't matter where you take something from, but where you take it to! Originality doesn't exist.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    All the Pokemon names have the same trend to them - they're based on the Pokemon itself or something else in name in general. Pidove is pretty simple, yes, but one (or many even) does not mean all the names suck, as shown above by Toujours - don't forget the names such as Squirtle (Squirt + Turtle), Ekans (snake backwards - how ~creative!~) or everyone's favourite Seel. There have always been names that have been simplistic in nature and what one person likes another may dislike too - it's subjective.

The Japanese names are also just as 'punny'. Giaru literally means Gear for instance, and that's the Japanese name for 5th gen's gear Pokemon. Squirte's name is Zenigame which apparently is simply the Japanese word for 'pond turtle' - what it says on the tin. Some Japanese names are also just cases of onomatopoeia.

And the whole Unova is in america thing is a pretty well known fact - a trip to google would have informed you of so much as well.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    You're a bunch of guys in an office or wherever who have to translate the text of fairly lengthy RPG game while at the same time come up with names for another hundred or more species of pretend animals that have to fit within an arbitrary character limit that's far less of an issue for the Japanese developers.

Who is anyone to call them 'lazy' or bad at their jobs? Why don't we look to the talent of Game Freak and see how their names look ins- oh yeah they're English portmanteaus (when they weren't a single word) or weird Japanese puns.

Houndoomed

Battle Master
    Years
    I think you're being a little harsh on the creative team IMHO, they're bound to be a little short on ideas by now but It never occured to me that they were "phoning it in" I think its a great next gen effort.

Zeus

Years
    I think the names are fine. like Mega Shot said they are not lazy just they have so much to do and they have to produce in short time for the demanding public. Fans are not going to be happy if there is no pokemon game for other 2 years sales will drop and people will be angry so they are pressed on making a game for everyone demanding and they cant please everyone.

-Kid

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Yeah I don't really consider the names gimmicks. :x Idk as everyone else mentioned we've had a lot worse (or at least referred to) in past generations. Unova actually has pretty complicated names, like Hydreigon, uhhhh and others, while names like Haxorus aren't exactly the most appealing to the overall public but generally make sense. tbh while some names I don't really like, for example Ducklett, Deerling, Druddigon, there are some pretty creative ones, like Sawsbuck--and I'm sure there's others but I can't think of them rn. Unova's pretty much the same as the other generations to me really in terms of naming.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I'm not entirely sure what's being referred to as a gimmick here? English names have always been play-on words right from Bulbasaur onwards. And, as many people have said, Unova's resemblance to the US has been commented on both unofficially and officially. Would it be possible for you to provide some other examples of how Black and White are gimmicky, as I'm having trouble coming up with some of my own?

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2012
    The only thing I would consider gimmicky would be some of the gym leader designs like Lenora, Burgh and Clay, maybe Brycen. It's a little funny and annoying at the same time.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I don't really see what you find gimmicky about that. It's been like that since the start and in the beginning they were actually nice and funny finds (I don't really like the new names but they are not the original ones anyway) <<--- the japanese ones are.

Houndoomed

Battle Master
    Years
    The only thing I would consider gimmicky would be some of the gym leader designs like Lenora, Burgh and Clay, maybe Brycen. It's a little funny and annoying at the same time.

Lenora and Marshall also make the Poke' Universe more diverse as they are the first "Black" characters in the series, yes?

Zeus

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2012
    Lenora and Marshall also make the Poke' Universe more diverse as they are the first "Black" characters in the series, yes?

Zeus

Yes. But their design is what my issue is. I guess its preference. It seems like they were trying too hard to make them look Americanized or their perception of Americans are be they black or short men with cowboy hats with a Texan accent.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Well a dove is part of the pigeon family...
    Also the names are alright, In my opinion gen I was just as bad as Unova. Though I do feel like they made it too small and tried to hard to make it seem new while at the same time it was just a Kanto with some Johto aspects copy...

Back