• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black and White - New Natures!

Years
  • The idea itself is pretty sound, but I'm assuming they will have something akin to the time machine in the original G/S/C for trading with previous generations. This means catching a old Pokémon with a new nature renders it untradable, and it's not like a move where you can just delete it or overwrite with a new move, natures are set in stone.

It could happen, and HP raising and lowering natures would be good but it will cause issues with previous generations. Although, I can't think of any real use for a *lowering* nature, one that rises will be good on a mixed tank in but I can't see any point in using one that lowers HP. That doesn't stop it existing though I guess, we do have neutral natures after all.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
  • It wouldn't work out too well.

Suppose you have a Pokemon with a moveset composed of only Physical moves. If you had the option to use the Adamant nature or a new nature that "greatly" increases attack and "greatly" lowers special attack, which would you choose?

That's what I thought at the start too but some people might not want a huge decrease in the other stat. Like the one I wrote down for example - Reckless, A 20% increase in attack would be cool but who wants a 20% decrease in defence?

But with your example you're right. For someone like Hitmonlee who only learns a couple of special attacks an ability that
    "greatly" increases attack and "greatly" lowers special attack would be chosen everytime over Adamant.

Though one of my ideas was to have the new natures only available through breeding or something like that so that it's more for the experienced players. Like you have a __% chance of getting a Reckless nature instead of Lonely nature, so that it kinda rewards you for your hard work. Then I suppose then you'd get cheaters abusing it of course PLUS the fact that if you got that good nature but didn't get the proper IV's or whatever then you'd have to start over which would be a pain. Ah well, I never said the idea was perfect ;)

Years
  • ^Hmmmmm

That could work if it was done as form of a penalty. Don't have a 20%+ Attack/20%- Sp. Attack cause there's no real disadvantage on a psyical sweeper whereas with defence decrease there is. It wouldn't make and difference on a fragile sweeper though seen as most attacks would OHKO them anyways.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • They should at least add some effects into those existing but does nothing natures.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • That's what I thought at the start too but some people might not want a huge decrease in the other stat. Like the one I wrote down for example - Reckless, A 20% increase in attack would be cool but who wants a 20% decrease in defence?

Well, Infernape, for one. Its defenses are so fragile it can't take a hit anyway, so taking away a little more isn't much of a big deal.

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2022
    I'd rather see new abilities rather than new natures. You can really turn around some crappy pokes with a new ability and perhaps adding a move or two to the movepool (that would benefit from said ability).

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
    Years
  • The whole point was to keep the stats varied to make every pokemon unique. Unless some new stat comes into play I don't see that happening. And besides, "Reckless" sounds more like an ability than a nature, because it already is. It's only on Hitmonlee and it boosts moves that have recoil, i.e. Hi Jump Kick.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • I'd rather see new abilities rather than new natures. You can really turn around some crappy pokes with a new ability and perhaps adding a move or two to the movepool (that would benefit from said ability).
    What this guy said.

But who knows what could happen, it's likely that we'll get the same, but what if we got +5/+5/-5/-5 or stuff crazy like that? I mean you never know with this game.

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
  • They have naturs that improve everything anyway, and natures that greatly improve things would just fail :( ~Sword dance, dragon dance, bye bye?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I just don't see it happening. The "Greatly Raises/Lowers" natures would in effect replace the ones we currently have. Who's gonna settle for 10% increase in Attack when they can get a 15% or 20% boost with another nature? For all intents and purposes, the old natures would become obsolete. The closest thing we can expect (and this is highly doubtful) is for the effects of the natures we have to be increased.

Years
  • Machamp, meet my Rotom Heat's delicious immunity and Will-o-Wisp.

There's a reason the other Pokémon you mentioned are in UU rather than OU with their massive attacks - they also have very easily exploitable weaknesses. Marowak's defenses and speed are rather sub-par, so KOing it while it's Swords Dancing is easy. Shuckle is slow as, and its attack stats are horrible, meaning that a single attack after the Power Trick means KO.

Blissey, however, becomes the ultimate wall, tanking almost all unSTAB'd Physical Fightings and even most STAB'd ones. It actually has a chance of surviving your Machamp's Dynamicpunch if it gets a HP nature (as most standard 'champs don't run attack-boosters unless it's a Band).

Rotom, meet magnezone and steelix, and pretty much anything that learns pursuit. Bye-bye.

What tier they are in is irrelevant to the arguement. maybe marowak has wish, Entry hazard, and/or sub support, and has a favorable matchup? it would be easiy to get off a SD then nail something with STAB EQ.

Plus with a HP boosting nature, blissey has no stat investment in defense, so a choiced/life orb/expert belt dynamic punch will KO it.

the point is other pokemon already enjoy huge perks to their stats, and an HP boosting nature will help even things out.

ChaosNinjat

Dragon Ranger
    Years
  • Although I think it might be a good idea, I can't see them introducing anymore natures, I think it'd complicate the min/max stat and breeding areas of the game a bit too much.

mehappy

The Happiest Him
    Years
  • It would be cool to have something like "Precise" which raises accuracy but lowers speed or defence or something.

Insane85

Bored
    Years
  • I don't feel there need to be any more natures, the ones we have cover everything anyway. More would just make it more annoying to get working with.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years

• Not to be rude or anything, but... "reckless" is a synonym for "rash," which is already a nature. :\

That was completely rude!!!
    Nah I'm kidding, I didn't actually know that (O.K. so I'm not very smart) so thank you for that little piece of information :D

Back