• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black people

Starrcasm

Game Director, Pokémon Ethereal Gates
Years
  • Look, I'm going to postulate that there will be black people [and other races] included in these versions for a few reasons.

The first being my explanation of why there weren't in the other games. You don't find many foreigners in Japan, and the pokemon regions are based off of Japanese regions [Kanto on Kanto, Johto on Kansai, Hoenn on Kyuushuu, and Sinnoh on Hokkaido]. The small amount of tanned people or Americans [in the cases of Surge or Fantina, who is french].

Now, I've been looking at the Isshu region for a while and cross referencing it with many regions of Japan [and then when that search was fruitless I looked for world regions] and came up with a rather interesting conclusion.

Isshu is based on New York City and the surrounding area. I mean, that bridge from Hiun? Brooklyn Bridge. That giant pokeball lake thing? Central Park. It makes sense when you see the huge cities they now have.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but New York has a very large racial variety. I wouldnt be surprised to see a whole slew of races. But they dont have to do that, because they're still catering to a Japanese audience. And this audience doesnt normally see people outside of their race, except one or two American tourists. :/

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    The games are set in Japan so obviously the characters are going to be Japanese
    Pheobe is not black
    Brock is not black
    Dahlia is not black

this isn't rl anyways :U
    they all live in a Pokemon world.
    durr hurr

wobbadude1

Everybody Polkamon!
    Years
  • You could pretty much say the same for gay people and how they are represented in video games. Although, in the English dub of the anime they made subtle hints that James was...!

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    ^ Harley represented gays and so did Tucker <3 Both did a fabulous job...

But this thread title REALLY makes me laugh... it's just bluntly "Black People" XD

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
    Years
  • Well I suppose next there'll be a fuss if there's no 'Native Americans' or Hawaians... good lord if the universe gets any more PC Centred there'll be a movement for the Night Elves.

To be honest, I never thought about it before... never even noticed it until this thread... wow...

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Lol. Ever noticed how Brock's the only guy in pokemon who looks remotely asian?

Who cares if there aren't that many black people? Nobody can really complain, as the ones who are take major roles.sort of.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I never even realized that the aren't any black people in Pokemon, it wouldn't really affect the game. What about all the other races that aren't in Pokemon like whites. Pokemon is Japanese so it mostly has Japanese and other Asian people.

Lt. Surge is Caucasian (assumed to be American), Fantima (Hearthome Gym Leader) is French, and Dahlia is Indian/Middle Eastern. There are other races represented in these games, just not many.

Aberash

blends in with the shadows
    Years
  • I agree they are missing diffrent types of racial people in all of games and I think its not fair .Way to many white people in games (do not take offense I am white)

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022

Lt. Surge is Caucasian (assumed to be American), Fantima (Hearthome Gym Leader) is French, and Dahlia is Indian/Middle Eastern. There are other races represented in these games, just not many.

Oh it's more than an assumption. He's known as the Lightning American. =]

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
  • When I was a kid, all I knew was Brock had darker skin and that was that. It doesn't affect the games or show in any way.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2012
    I don't think Pokemon will bring out any darker skinned characters. Like other people mentioned. They base they're games off of their culture and it is not like a lot of darker people live in Japan. People over there have fairer skin than in most countries.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I don't think Pokemon will bring out any darker skinned characters. Like other people mentioned. They base they're games off of their culture and it is not like a lot of darker people live in Japan. People over there have fairer skin than in most countries.

There are plenty of brown Japanese people, I know a few... and don't forget about the Ganguro (sp.?) lolz

Back