• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Black Swan

Years
    • Seen yesterday

Black Swan

2010 - Directed by Darren Aronofsky

Note: This film is aimed at a mature audience.
    IMDb link

Black Swan is a film released in early 2011, and has already gained a sensational amount of critical acclaim. It has gotten a record number of nominations for the Critic's Choice Awards at 12.

It is a nighmarish, masterpiece, and a defining film of this year, and possibly of this decade. Black Swan is an enthralling and visceral experience from beginning to end. Watch this one sweep up the Oscars, it is rivaled by none. Black Swan is one of the best films I've seen in a long time, and most certainly one of the best of its genre. There are not enough words to describe how much praise Afonofsky deserves for his visionary direction of this film.

Anyone seen it? Think it lived up to the hype?

geox123

"Can go all night" Philosopher
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    It was actually pretty good. One of the best of the year so far. I recommend it if you liked "Mulholland Drive" (I think that's how it's spelled, lol). It's a nice psycho thriller that has a great score and even better acting. Portman does a fantastic job as her character, and so does the director of the ballet (I forget the actor's name). Mila Whatshername is okay, in my opinion; I feel shes a bit out of place. That's what I get for watching too much That 70's :D

Ayselipera

No I haven't seen it yet, but I am dying to. I absolutely love Natalie Portman, one of the few respectable actresses of our time I think. I can't say I really know a lot about ballet or dance in general, (as someone I knew made a big stink about the fact I wanted to see this movie and yet I don't know much about dance) but I'm most interested in seeing the two sides of the swan portrayed. I believe it's particularly hard for some people to portray one side and then another, especially when their personality is more swayed to one side. So to see an actress try to play both sides will be very exciting. Plus I've been dying to see a good new movie and I'm really placing my bets on this one wowing me so I have high hopes!

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I loved this movie... I kinda predicted the ending though. I didnt like how Nina's "stuff" was touched all through the movie... and she was absolutely BEAUTIFUL as the Black Swan.

The whole theme of the movie reminded me of Beyonce though lol <3, her alter-ego Sasha Fierce being her Black Swan... don't judge me.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I must say that the film is rather predictable. Especially if you know the story of Swan Lake anyway. Also, Portman does all the Ballet herself, so there's no stunt double to make it seem less fluid.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I must say that the film is rather predictable. Especially if you know the story of Swan Lake anyway. Also, Portman does all the Ballet herself, so there's no stunt double to make it seem less fluid.

Really? Well that just makes me want to see it more. I mean from all the previews and trailers They dancing looks beautiful! She is a very talented actress , playing two different sides as Ayselipera said, and the fact that she does all the dancing <3 I want to see this movie ;o;

Years
  • I regrettably have yet to see the film, but I have heard amazing things, particularly Natalie Portman's performance. I saw the trailer, and from what I saw, the hype is justified. I need to go see it. >_<

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I'm glad I saw it, but I probably won't be rushing to buy it on dvd or anything. However, I thought the acting was fantastic especially from Natalie Portman, her mother, and the director of the show. I also liked how the movie really did follow the story of Swan Lake so closely, which is why I was confused when my friends after the movie were shocked by the events and didn't get what happened.

Not gonna lie, I totally only wanted to see it because I adore Mila Kunis haha. but it was worth it :) and I usually am very picky with movies.

Years
  • I just saw this tonight oh my goodness it was so amazing I can't be bothered to use punctuation

I've had so little rest this week I almost passed on seeing it. My heart is still pounding a little and I don't think I'll be able to get to sleep for a while. I love good thrillers. I don't even want to describe how good it was because words aren't enough to convey how sucked in I was by this movie, how scared and shocked and thrilled and excited I was, more so than I have been by a movie in a long time. My friend's mom used to be a dancer so I've heard a few stories about what that world is like so that added an extra dimension to this movie for me. Natalie Portman carried this movie. She deserves a dozen awards for this.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    it was the scariest most bizzare movie ive ever seen

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • The movie was pretty nice. I got confused at some parts, because I couldnt tell if she was hallucinating or the events really happened. I really disliked the mother, she is such a control freak. But then again most moms are. It ended on a nice tone, though I felt bad for Nina :\

HinaBaby

#1 Spongebob Fan!
    Years
  • I have seen the movie and I agree that it's perhaps, the masterpiece of the decade. Natalie Portman was amazing by the way.

Silver Soul of Johto

Journey's end
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2016
    it was extremely artful and enjoyable, it was also very stressful to watch, considering it's a film built on anxiety and self-hatred.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Black Swan was, far and away, my favourite film of last year. I was lucky enough to see it as part of a packed festival audience; every time something 'shocking' happened, it was like we all jumped at the same time. Brilliant acting, directing (especially of a script that was riddled with cliches, Aronofky's ability to transcend them was worthy of more praise than he ultimately received), cinematography and - most importantly, IMO - the music by Clint Mansell. It was stupid Oscar eligibility rules that meant he couldn't even be nominated for his breathtaking score; one that I almost considered buying myself!

The second time I saw it with some friends, again in a packed screening, it held up beautifully. Even friends who have extremely divergent film tastes all managed to get at least something out of Black Swan, which surprised me to no end.

So, yeah, I'd heartily recommend Black Swan to anyone on the fence about it. Just go and see it!

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • So I missed this film at the cinemas, but I will definitely be hiring this from the video store as soon as it comes out!
    Shame I missed it on the big screen, I might look at some other cinemas to the one I frequent, but yeah, looking forward to seeing this even if it is on Blu Ray in my living room!

Years
  • I love how this film made me think of what is real from the not. Natalie Portman gave justice to the role and she deserves the oscar. I may say this is a must see film. :)

Djtyf0on

¯\(ºдಠ)/¯
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2011
    I had the best audience when I watched the film with my mom.

In the back: 5-6 guys who only watched until the girl on girl action part, cheered, and then left, high-fiving and whoop-whooping out of the theater.
    3 rows in front of me: 3 little old ladies who thought this was all about ballerinas. (Srsly, they should watch trailers next time) Were shocked at the end.
    My mom: O_O the entire time.

Anyways, I thought the film was great; definitely some chilling moments and awkward stuff to watch with parents. XD

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2011
    I can't describe this masterpiece, it's perfect! Natalie Portman did a great job and she totally deserved the Oscar for Best Actress, she was really dark and edgy in the movie which makes " what will happen next " interesting.

Back