• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black & White VS. previous games

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
  • BW had better storyline,better graphics,better,leveling,a little more difficult then others and no old pokemon until after Elite 4.

Years
  • I was completely biased against 5th gen altogether when i found out none of the originals were available in normal gameplay. That is my biggest problem to this point, even though they are no attainable through trade. I could credit some of my bias to nostalgia, such as me not liking the new designs as much, but like others have mentioned, the story folds out all too quickly. Also, the dreamworld: hate it. It takes away from the gameplay. I do like the PC and Mart being in the same building, simply because of convenience. I like the improvement on graphics because it allows the puzzle-solving in gyms and stuff to make it a little more interesting. There are several other factors that make the game good, but not great, in my opinion. Overall, the game is okay, but i don't think i would ever play it more than twice, whereas 1st and 2nd gen I played over and over. They just always will have a special part in my childhood memories. B/W will just remind me of playing in DW, which isn't that enjoyable

Pokemon B&W were superior to its predecessors , the only complain i have is that some tm's are missing and the item and pokeball mixed in the bag instead of being separated like in the old days , also not storing items in computer

HAHA I have to agree, but I remember not being able to hold more than 20 or 30 items and couldn'teven pick up all the items cause my bag (with no pouches) was full; Now the pokeballs in the item bag is horrible lol. How I've forgotten where I came from.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I really didn't like the graphics, I felt like they tried to hard to be 3D and "cool" yet most of the time they ended up distorted and pixelated. Fourth gen had fine "3D" graphics if that's what they were going for, and instead of creating something completely different they could have built on Gen 4's, added more details, brought the games up to some of the hacks here on PC and they would have looked awesome.
    Spoiler:

It just really bothered me that BW was pixelated most of the times with unnecessary things like the change of views on bridges, zooming in while entering buildings etc

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    Honestly, my only problem with BW was the linearity of the region. It doesn't have all those intersections and routes that jut out of the main hub like previous generations. It's just a loop with a little bit coming off of it. Also, if you don't count the postgame, the entire region is just a curved line with no intersections.

I still find BW to be the best games, though. The Pokemon have good concepts, and despite the region's bad shape, the areas are still well done within themselves. Music is also a big factor, easily topping the rest of the series.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • In my opinion BW was too linear, more so than Kanto...that made it boring...but the story was wonderfully done. They brought in interesting characters and a whole bunch of new Pokemon (they seeing too many at once was a little much for me). It ranks third to the Sinnoh (2) and Hoenn (1) games.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I feel like B/W is 100x better than the past games actually. With B/W I felt so much more immersed in the games than anything else. I loved all the new features, I just loved everything, lol. :x I just wanted more to explore, actually, but otherwise the story, the region design, the leaders (other than the Striaton ones) actually were pretty good. The other games other than Johto games haven't left me wanting more. B/W did, and I think that's a good thing - as in I can't get enough of them. n_n

Years
  • I enjoyed Black and White, but I found myself only able to play through them once or twice. I really don't like the region design, I suppose. It's a little too...linear. I mean I know it's a Pokemon game we're talking about here, but Unova was a little too small in my opinion. Sinnoh, however, is rather large.

HGSS < RSE < FRLG < BW < DPPt

Last edited:

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • The gyms and elite four were way too easy, Ghetsis was way too difficult, and the postgame was not existent. Plus, you had to play an online game made for 6-year olds just to get other regions' Pokemon without migrating. The region felt boring and unnatural (the giant Pokeball-shaped island in the middle didn't help), only a few of the new Pokemon were cool (most had overcomplicated appearances and were decidedly unpokemonish), and the game did away with many of the good aspects of HG/SS, such as the running shoes toggle, the extensive postgame, the difficulty, and the "follow me" feature.

However, the game did introduce random online battling... unfortunately, everyone uses Lv100 Arceuses on that, so it's useless. Plus, they didn't patch up the holes in the GTS system, allowing people to STILL ask for Lv9 and under Reshirams.

And please, STOP RAVING ABOUT THE STORY!!! Seriously, it's not that good. Nobody plays Pokemon for the story, anyway. Sure, it was better than previous Pokemon games, but that's not saying much. I'm sorry, but you just like the B/W story because you think that N is "HAWT!!!!!!!!11111". N is not a good character.

B/W were slightly better, though, than the putrid DPPt.

G/S/C/HG/SS > R/B/Y/FR/LG > R/S/E > B/W > D/P/Pt

Last edited:
    Years
  • Bad story writing is what got me. But thats more out of BW seeming like the big events were taken care of by some other characters. Like Cheren or some person further ahead on the map.

One change ctands out compared to the previous games in that ALL HM's are able to be used upon one gyms badge. Breaks the game and makes it having Surf does. The next biggest game maker would be getting and raising a Gible from the get go to be a later game Garchomp. That speed is invigorating.

Very disappointed in HM using as it totally killed of HM slaves such as previous game Bibarel, Tropius, or Tentacool. on the up side to this sadness is how much use I am getting from Field moves such as Dig, Flash, and Teleport. Yes, i don't much use Fly.

Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2023
    The gyms and elite four were way too easy, Ghetsis was way too difficult, and the postgame was not existent. Plus, you had to play an online game made for 6-year olds just to get other regions' Pokemon without migrating. The region felt boring and unnatural (the giant Pokeball-shaped island in the middle didn't help), only a few of the new Pokemon were cool (most had overcomplicated appearances and were decidedly unpokemonish), and the game did away with many of the good aspects of HG/SS, such as the running shoes toggle, the extensive postgame, the difficulty, and the "follow me" feature.

However, the game did introduce random online battling... unfortunately, everyone uses Lv100 Arceuses on that, so it's useless. Plus, they didn't patch up the holes in the GTS system, allowing people to STILL ask for Lv9 and under Reshirams.

And please, STOP RAVING ABOUT THE STORY!!! Seriously, it's not that good. Nobody plays Pokemon for the story, anyway. Sure, it was better than previous Pokemon games, but that's not saying much. I'm sorry, but you just like the B/W story because you think that N is "HAWT!!!!!!!!11111". N is not a good character.

B/W were slightly better, though, than the putrid DPPt.

G/S/C/HG/SS > R/B/Y/FR/LG > R/S/E > B/W > D/P/Pt

I completely agree with all of your statements. This was the worst Generation and I kinda regret transferring all my good pokemon from DPPt to this one. I would rather play the other gens

n64benowitz177

Is The Man In The Mirror.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2012
    Personally, I thought the main story was the best in the series and the mature feel of the story was refreshing. My biggest complaint was the removal of the level 100 battle option in wifi battling and how that basically stopped me from playing it as long as Pearl.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    There were definitely ups and downs for this game compared to the others. I figured I'd point them out specifically! :)

pokeball_gray.jpg
    Storyline/Plot
    This was by far the best thing in B/W, and definitely better than the storyline in previous games. There were a lot more things to be concerned about, other than the evil team trying to capture the legendary mascot. There were many twists, especially with N and Ghetsis acting on the same side, but with different ulterior motives and it all felt like a really well done change. It's good to see GF change the whole "GET LEGENDARY THEN FAIL" plot.

pokeball_gray.jpg
    Pokémon
    The designs were great!! I like them all to be honest; of course there's many Pokémon in previous games that look far better or more decent, but these aren't too bad either.

pokeball_gray.jpg
    Pokédex
    I suppose it was nifty to be able to use only the Unova Pokémon throughout the main game, just so it wasn't repetitive like the other games. Also because we could get a good idea with the new Pokémon. However, honestly including Pokémon from different regions gave more variety. I'd trade seeing Zubat repeatedly, over a secluded amount of cave Pokémon, only from Unova. :P Sad, right? u_u

pokeball_gray.jpg
    Features
    I felt that Black and White tried to make better with the new features introduced, but it wasn't strong enough. Dream World seems pretty amazing at first, but then you really don't feel the need to go there unless there's something huge (like a beautiful C-Gear skin, berries, or an event of some sort). There hasn't been enough Pokémon featured in the DW that were actually useful either. As for the Battle Subway, I personally like it. It suits the NY theme, but it's nothing compared to the Battle Frontier obviously. Triple/Rotational battles were a great idea, but definitely lacked. These two features weren't brought out enough, even though it was shown excessively throughout trailers when B/W was first introduced. :( Why did they do that to us?? I won't even get into Musicals.

pokeball_gray.jpg
    WiFi
    Why Black and White removed the set LV 50 and 100 I don't know, and this made the whole WiFi system crumble down for me. I only ever gert on WiFi for trading and events.

SO COMPARED TO OTHER GAMES, it's quite alright. Though only my second favorite Pokémon games RSE FTW. :B

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022

on random battle alll pokemon are level 50 and you cant use pokemon like arceus -.-

Game was more hard than previous incarnations and there are post game things to do
    Only agree with the missing features , the rest of your statement is just plain hate

Last edited:

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • on random battle alll pokemon are level 50 and you cant use pokemon like arceus -.-

Game was more hard than previous incarnations and there are post game things to do
    Only agree with the missing features , the rest of your statement is just plain hate

Whatever, my bad with the random battle, but people can still hack in Wonder Guard Spiritombs to use.

It was not hard. I beat every gym leader without even breaking a sweat, and my team was a bit underleveled. Sure, Ghetsis was difficult, but not nearly as difficult as Cynthia or Blue(FR/LG). And I'm sorry, but Alder was a complete letdown, difficulty-wise, especially when compared to Red.

Post-game things to do? Like what? Give me an example. Seriously, there is no postgame, except for a couple of boring version-specific areas and a few more Pokemon to use. And the exclusion of trainer rematches is probably the nail in the coffin.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Ive played both games and ive been playing since pokemon gold came out, and in my opinion Pokemon B/W is the worst game they have made to date. I will say that I like the story and the events of the game its amazing but what i dont like about it was the Pokemon.

I just couldn't motivate myself to get though the game when i didn't like the Pokemon. the worst one of all is Vanillish the ice cream Pokemon and others like Simisage, Simisear and Simipour with the worst haircuts in history.

Am i the only one who has this view ?.

Unfortunately you were already beaten to this question, so I've merged it with the appropriate thread. Feel free to continue discussing here! However personally if you like everything else in the game, the Pokemon shouldn't matter & that you'll eventually get used to them. :(

If you'd like to discuss the Pokemon specifically, though, there's a few threads that'll cover that so feel free to check them out (mainly the likes/dislikes type thread).

miakat

Professional Cheese Wheel
    Years
  • I got really hyped for BW then I got a bit dissappointed when I aquired it. I lost interest after the 4th gym and I haven't touched it in months.
    It's growing back on me, though.

DPPt will always be my favourite gen. Then RSE.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Posting again, I'm going to have to agree with everything Kaori said. Aside from the graphics and the linearity of the region, it was quite a good game. I don't see why people are hating on the storyline, isn't it nice to see a change from the standard "Evil team, does lots of little things to obtain x goal, need x legendary to do this"? Also something that I thought was really cool was that the Gym Leaders weren't just stationary characters, the Gyms actually functioned as something else and the Leaders were part of the story somewhat, even if it was minor.

Years
  • The only thing I haven't really liked about BW from what I've seen (don't own it yet) is the graphics. I really don't like the 3D look.

The storyline looks great, I love the sprites and the animations and a lot of the little things that I've heard about. The graphics (especially in Castelia) just really bother me. :)

miakat

Professional Cheese Wheel
    Years
  • I must say that the storyline was brilliant, certainly different and the graphics are definitely the best out them all.

Back