• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bleed Well (PG-13)

Capt. Couch

Wake me... When you need me...
Years
  • As I was depressed, this idea came to my head... This is an allegory with multiple interpretations. I am interested in what others make of it, please post what you think it means.

Rated PG-13 for depictions of violence and gore.

Spoiler:

s l u g

arriving somewhere but not here,
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 2, 2023
    Maybe the girl was a sociopath or something and the boy had some strange powers..

woah anyway your style of description and narration were totally good :)

and this was way to creepy i must say, anyway i don't know what others are gonna say but this was a really great One-Shot :)

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
  • Ambience is an extremely vague word. I'm not sure it has quite the connotation you're looking for, because it reads a little bit awkwardly when you personify it, especially when you say it was disturbed by the light - wouldn't the light then be part of the ambience in the room? Unless you meant that the light was disturbing the previously dark atmosphere of the room, I guess. In any case, it's a little hard to follow and doesn't seem to match with the pace of the rest of the story.

His hazel eyes could see again after several moments

I don't quite see why it's important that his eyes are hazel. I think this and a couple other small details in your story might be classified as unnecessary expository description. Especially in a piece as short as this one, it's important to make every word count. Obviously writing styles differ from spare to more lush and detailed, but generally if a little thing like eye color doesn't drastically affect the plot or mood of the story it shouldn't be included. It just distracts your reader from the meat of the thing. I'm not just referring to the descriptions of what the characters look like, but also to some words you use to describe their actions that could be excluded - because the action speaks for itself, or because they just don't work:

She pretentiously darted her eyes left and right

For example, I don't think the bolded word means what you intended it to mean. "Pretentious" is usually used to denote pomposity or self-importance. In this situation, judging from the rest of the sentence and the description of how she moves, you seem to want to communicate that the girl is nervous.

His eyes reopened with a flash, nervousness washing over him.

Might want to say in a flash, if you're referring to speed. Otherwise one might think there was a literal flash of light accompanying his eyes opening. Also, I don't know about nervousness washing - to me it seems like it's a sensation that surges or otherwise manifests rapidly in someone, if they are in a situation such as this (surprised or scared that someone is in the room with them). But that's your call, I guess.

I apologize, but I don't have much to say about the subject of the story itself right now. Sorry if my "critique" seemed a little nitpicky, going on about a couple short sentences in your story, but the first thing that came to mind when I read this were the distracting little kinks in the flow of the narrative, and the occasional odd word choice. If you looked for those and fixed those up (I see a couple more as I'm typing this, but I'm too lazy to put them down right now) it would make this more readable. Not that it's not readable now, it would just be better.

[/endramble]

Capt. Couch

Wake me... When you need me...
    Years
  • Thanks for the criticism. I'll make some edits later when I'm not so flooded with weekend homework.

To be honest, personifying ambiance was rather difficult; what do you suggest I use instead of ambiance?

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
  • I don't know... I guess you might be able to somehow use the idea of the room itself protecting the boy, instead? Not sure if that would work or not. I wish I could be more helpful.

Back