• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Blu-Ray or Dvd?

Which?

• Blu-Ray

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Dvd

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
  • ...you didn't seriously try and just say that AC3 and DTS are "about the same" as Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master, did you? D: Especially given the latter two options on a BluRay spec. are lossless~
    On my crappy setup? Yeah, they're about the same.

as2

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2009
    DVD, Can't afford Blu-ray movies, and lets just say most of my DVDs... aren't store-bought. Blank Blu-ray discs are ridiculous. I can get about 25 DVDs for the price of 1 Blu-ray disc, so... I don't plan on switching anytime soon.

Who says you need to burn them? The PS3 happily streams all sorts of media content across networks! :)

For the record, we buy the occasional Bluray discs. The quality isn't just a bit better, there is a world of difference. I suppose it depends on the TV youv'e got though.. ;) (Samsung Series 8 ftw.)

.Vaporeon

eshkient
    Years
  • Blu Ray. Once you've got one, you won't be coming back. Seriously though, the definition is so much better than DVDs. I don't find a problem with the disc cost, I bought a Blu Ray movie a few days ago, the movie was practically new and it only was about 3 dollars more.

.zero

Years
  • Who says you need to burn them? The PS3 happily streams all sorts of media content across networks! :)

For the record, we buy the occasional Bluray discs. The quality isn't just a bit better, there is a world of difference. I suppose it depends on the TV youv'e got though.. ;) (Samsung Series 8 ftw.)
    Yeah, streaming a Blu-ray quality movie on an internet connection that's about 25kbps. That would be fun.

as2

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2009
    Yeah, streaming a Blu-ray quality movie on an internet connection that's about 25kbps. That would be fun.

I never said internet.. I have gigabit ethernet around my house, and it works great :P

Johnny590

It's cute how you think I care
    Years
  • lol I can't afford anything that plays blu ray, so I'm sticking with DVD's.

And I don't even own that many dvd's, I download movies online in dvd quality and keep them on my PC.

But my all time favorite films I have them on dvd :P

Camisado

a therapeutic chain of events
    Years
  • I use DVD exclusively.

We did only just remove the VCR from the living room when we got our satellite package upgraded to Sky+, which has a hard disk inside xD

I don't see us buying Blu-Ray players any time soon. I like picking up DVDs for £3 each in HMV on a good day.

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
  • You did not just put the two up against each other in a poll.

That's like comparing Ferrari to Trabant. x_X

Blu-Ray all the way. Now if only the devices were cheaper...

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    If blu-ray was a hot female, I'd be making love to it. XD

Unfortunately however, the change over to blu-ray is a slow process, so movies/shows that I wish were on blu-ray are not, just yet (especially imports like anime).

Needless to say, the cool thing about blu-ray is BD-Live. You can access more content with it, and even upload your own commentaries where others can watch/listen to you whilst watching the film.

Not only that, you have the chance to have a live commentary with cast and or crew, such as my experience with watching The Dark Knight with Christopher Nolan. There, we got to ask him questions, to which he answered. He also answered one of my own questions.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • I don't have a Blu-ray player, probably because I don't have a high definition TV. I've seen movies on Blu-ray before (specifically 2001 and The Dark Knight), and I thought the display was spectacular. I imagine that Blu-ray isn't catching on as quickly as DVD did only because not that many people have HD yet. Basically, I prefer Blu-ray but I'm not going to buy it until HD technology becomes cheaper.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • My HD-compatible TV is tiny, so when I borrowed a PS3 from a friend to watch some BD movies, I honestly couldn't tell the difference between it and DVD.

I'm happy to stick to my DVD player, until I get a better setup.

Freestyle Farfetch'd

I'm Magneto
    Years
  • DVD right now, though I wouldn't mind getting a Blu Ray player.

But to be honest... once I'm immeresed in whatever I'm watching, I tend to forget about picture quality! Though for some reason, whenever I'm playing video games, I can't stand it if the picture quality is any less than perfect.

Besides, most of what I want to watch is on online catch-up services.

Back