• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Blue Version Watercolor Gen III Sprite Resource — Proof of Concept/Development

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2023
    Hello all,

A while back I had thought it would be neat to have Gen III battle sprites based on the watercolor art Sugimori did for Japan's release of Pokemon Blue version; I couldn't find any existing resources, so I decided I'd make my own! After a proof of concept, I'm pretty pleased with how things turned out:

Spoiler:

Kinda like how Yoshi's Island was able to convey a crayon-art style. Or similar to the Pokemon TCG game on GB.

Anyway, I thought I should post these few here and then update this original post as I finish the rest of Gen I.

Of course, there's the unfortunate reality that there is no official watercolor art for Gen III 'mons and that the old art for Gen II is far less expressive than the art done for Blue version, not to mention Sugimori never did watercolor art for the back sides of all original 151, but I suppose I'll worry about all that after I finish the first set of front sprites.

I don't know how much help this would be to anyone's projects, considering you'd probably have to edit other graphical elements to make battles consistent aesthetically. That said, feel free to use them however you want!

(Update: Finished Gen I Starters)

Last edited:
    Back