• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Blyvern Fails at Spriting [FE Mugs an' Maps]

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2021
    Full gallery: https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=44630

Highlights of my spriting:

Blyvern Fails at Spriting [FE Mugs an' Maps]

Turning point of my spriting.

I don't even.

^.^

https://i.imgur.com/fy94Ia2.png
    IDK.

Majority of my maps. Skipped the terrible ones.

A few keep maps.

TBH, the shading for this tileset was terribad.

Meh.

Eh.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I do not possess any knowledge as far as maps and appropriate usage of tilesets is concerned so I wouldn't be able to provide proper critique on that front, I'm afraid. In fact, in all honesty, everything that you have on display over here is kind-of new to me. Never been into spriting much haha. I'll just comment with whatever comes to my mind.

First off, those characters you've made look terrific. There's proper variation in hairstyles and clothing in almost every single one of those and I really like that about your stuff. The only aspect of your works that irk me a bit are the ears in some of them. This and this for instance (more apparent in the latter, imo). They'd look fine at a glance but when you look at the piece for a while the ears somehow just don't...look natural, I guess? I'm not an expert on anatomy but they just don't. At least to me.

A minor thing - this one's hair density seems a little lesser than how much would be appropriate. Just a tiny bit. Maybe add more hair at the top - expand the canvas just a tiny bit at the top, maybe? Right now it feels kind-of off.

Out of your maps, I like this one the most. I'm not really a fan of maps comprising of mostly square tiles and this one has quite a bit of variation in it - what with it having those trees, bridges, the lake, a castle and houses. They look pretty damn nice. Speaking of nice things, this one's tiles look really great. The detailing is immaculate. Color scheme may be kind of standard considering it is the interior of a castle but that doesn't change the fact that it works very well and looks great.

I like your stuff. Please keep them coming. :D

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2021
    I do not possess any knowledge as far as maps and appropriate usage of tilesets is concerned so I wouldn't be able to provide proper critique on that front, I'm afraid. In fact, in all honesty, everything that you have on display over here is kind-of new to me. Never been into spriting much haha. I'll just comment with whatever comes to my mind.

First off, those characters you've made look terrific. There's proper variation in hairstyles and clothing in almost every single one of those and I really like that about your stuff. The only aspect of your works that irk me a bit are the ears in some of them. This and this for instance (more apparent in the latter, imo). They'd look fine at a glance but when you look at the piece for a while the ears somehow just don't...look natural, I guess? I'm not an expert on anatomy but they just don't. At least to me.

While I don't typically go back to edit my older splices, I'll try to keep this in mind. Because these are splices and not full custom sprites (yet :P), I believe the problem lies on: 1. me cutting off the body usually right under the ear and 2. the ear not always being part of the hair. However, I'll keep in mind to double check ears from now on.

A minor thing - this one's hair density seems a little lesser than how much would be appropriate. Just a tiny bit. Maybe add more hair at the top - expand the canvas just a tiny bit at the top, maybe? Right now it feels kind-of off.

Out of your maps, I like this one the most. I'm not really a fan of maps comprising of mostly square tiles and this one has quite a bit of variation in it - what with it having those trees, bridges, the lake, a castle and houses. They look pretty damn nice. Speaking of nice things, this one's tiles look really great. The detailing is immaculate. Color scheme may be kind of standard considering it is the interior of a castle but that doesn't change the fact that it works very well and looks great.

I like your stuff. Please keep them coming. :D
    Addressed the issues in bold;
    thanks for the critique!
    Now to practice more so I can stop splicing and start full customing...

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Alright, I'll say it.

I honestly just spent way more time and work than I care to admit trying to find more versions of your work because I was convinced that there was no way you did any of this. So I tried searching around, got details and tracked accounts, and despite my efforts it appears your pixel art is truly genuine. I was damn sure this was professional work that you were pawning off as your own. I don't know if you want to take that as a compliment, but it's brought me to a bit of a realization.

Your pixel art is incredible.

What I'm noticing on your maps is an overabundance of tiles. It almost obscures the image as a whole because it's just too much detail and comes across as harsh to the eye. The last map comes to mind. That said, the sheer diversity you have is astounding. You've represented all textures, shadows, and actualized objects very, very well.

I almost feel the need to apologize, since we don't really have much of a thriving pixel art community; but I do hope you know your work does not go unappreciated. You've got real talent, and I wouldn't be surprised if we all see your pixel art in iphone applications and games alike. I sincerely hope you keep updating here! :) This is a very refreshing gallery.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2021
    Actually, no, I'm really bad, since these are only splices and especially compared to some people I know, I'm abysmal. :P
    Thanks for the input about the overabundance of tiles, since most people who view my maps are FE-oriented (since it is an FE forum) but it's nice to get an outside perspective I guess.
    To my actual post, though.

Boredom gets to ya'
    (WTF it's not even a flower it's a heart what)
    ((I used a feather from this girl's

ugly head to make these in about 5 minutes))

Also, the database of mugs i use to splice:
    Spoiler:

EDIT: I usually keep a .png file for every mug past a certain date (as I got a new comp once my old one got screwed). If anyone ever wants proof that I spliced it, you can PM me for it.

EDIT 2:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2021
    [19:43:00] Kisara: mapping out the hair atm... i think I'll start actually shading tomorrow

Is that generally OK positioning for where the shading should go? ref images:

Spoiler:

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Incredible work, as always. I think you're right on target with the shading you're going for. Looks super clean so far. I'm excited to see the final product!

Back