• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Borderlands - The PreSequel!

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
  • A new Borderlands game has been announced to be released in 2014!
    It takes place between the first and second game and the story will be about Handsome Jacks rise to Power.
    The setting is none other than the Moon, there will be 4 new playable characters (including Claptrap), and a bunch of other new features like low gravity, oxygen and many more to be revealed!

How do you feel about the news?

Here is the video with more detailed info:

TY

Really looking forward to this, and seeing at the playable characters I love they included Wilhelm in it. Loving the female characters aswell, but Claptrap... As long as he won't be as annoying as in BL2 then I'm okay with it.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Eh. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't too impressed by the video.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Borderlands series (Borderlands 2 is one of my favorite games) and I'll most likely buy this game. But after watching the video, it really doesn't look like it ventured anywhere past the Borderlands 2 engine - I think they mentioned something like that in the video also. It essentially just looked like a really, really big Borderlands 2 DLC. And really Gearbox...The Pre-Sequel? That was the best you could come up with? I understand that this is Borderlands-styled humor, but dear god that's a bad name for a game; it makes it sound even more like a DLC package.

However rant aside, I am pretty excited to play as Athena. I've always been a huge nerd when it comes to Greek mythology/history and her character design is really badass.

TY

Eh. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't too impressed by the video.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Borderlands series (Borderlands 2 is one of my favorite games) and I'll most likely buy this game. But after watching the video, it really doesn't look like it ventured anywhere past the Borderlands 2 engine - I think they mentioned something like that in the video also. It essentially just looked like a really, really big Borderlands 2 DLC. And really Gearbox...The Pre-Sequel? That was the best you could come up with? I understand that this is Borderlands-styled humor, but dear god that's a bad name for a game; it makes it sound even more like a DLC package.

However rant aside, I am pretty excited to play as Athena. I've always been a huge nerd when it comes to Greek mythology/history and her character design is really badass.

Yeah, but there are examples where a DLC-standalone would work quite well (Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon for instance, which was an actual DLC, unlike this game). As long as they won't charge 60 EUR like Ubisoft did with FC3: BD then I see no problem in creating it from the BL2 engine. The name however, could be better indeed, I agree on that.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Yeah, but there are examples where a DLC-standalone would work quite well (Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon for instance, which was an actual DLC, unlike this game). As long as they won't charge 60 EUR like Ubisoft did with FC3: BD then I see no problem in creating it from the BL2 engine. The name however, could be better indeed, I agree on that.

True, I did actually forget about Far Cry: Blood Dragon. But to me, I felt like that game was a real curveball to the franchise, as even though the gameplay was similar to Far Cry 3, the atmosphere and tone of the game was completely different. When I look at this Borderlands 1 1/2 essentially, it looks just like a reskinned Borderlands 2. Nothing too different as to what I've seen so far, asides from the low gravity application.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the improvements from Borderlands to Borderlands 2 was so staggering that it was a fun experience overall. Plus, because there was a 3 year gap between games, you sort of forgot how the game and its mechanics played out a little bit so it was exciting to jump right back into a game that you loved years ago. However, because the Gearbox team has dished out so much DLC content after Borderlands 2 release - which isn't a bad thing, I applaud them for all their hard work keeping their game relevant - there hasn't really been anytime in which I've forgotten what it was like playing Borderlands 2 so when I look at this video, all I can really think about is that this is another DLC.

I couldn't really see myself dropping $60 on something like that (even though I say this, I'll most likely still be swallowed up by the hype for the game like I did with GTA V), but hopefully I'm proven wrong. Like I said before, I don't want this to be a bad game, I love the Borderlands series. Just so far, not really too excited for it.

TY

True, I did actually forget about Far Cry: Blood Dragon. But to me, I felt like that game was a real curveball to the franchise, as even though the gameplay was similar to Far Cry 3, the atmosphere and tone of the game was completely different. When I look at this Borderlands 1 1/2 essentially, it looks just like a reskinned Borderlands 2. Nothing too different as to what I've seen so far, asides from the low gravity application.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the improvements from Borderlands to Borderlands 2 was so staggering that it was a fun experience overall. Plus, because there was a 3 year gap between games, you sort of forgot how the game and its mechanics played out a little bit so it was exciting to jump right back into a game that you loved years ago. However, because the Gearbox team has dished out so much DLC content after Borderlands 2 release - which isn't a bad thing, I applaud them for all their hard work keeping their game relevant - there hasn't really been anytime in which I've forgotten what it was like playing Borderlands 2 so when I look at this video, all I can really think about is that this is another DLC.

I couldn't really see myself dropping $60 on something like that (even though I say this, I'll most likely still be swallowed up by the hype for the game like I did with GTA V), but hopefully I'm proven wrong. Like I said before, I don't want this to be a bad game, I love the Borderlands series. Just so far, not really too excited for it.

Yeah that is true. FC3: Blood Dragon did offer something different than the other Far Cry games, which is what made it unique.

And the same here though I didn't bought all of the DLC they dished out cause the last ones were rather short and not worth the time at times. It does indeed look like a huge DLC, but then again it is still in Alpha phases so a lot can change. 60 EUR would be a bit too expensive from what it is now, maybe 40 would be worth it, but not more than that, if not much changes on it. I hope this game will be good aswell, though if it ends up being 60 EUR I also will buy it most likely... Let's hope this one doesn't become a GTA V and the hype can stand the test of time.

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    Excellent! I loved Handsome Jack, so it'll be nice to see some more of him. Even though they didn't mention it, I'm pretty sure Athena is the same Athena from The Secret Armory DLC as well...at least, it looks like her. With Wilhelm in there too, it'll be nice to see them give their NPCs a bit more backstory.

Although...screw Claptrap; I want playable Tiny Tina. Or Ellie. The thought of Ellie doing a ground-pound...ahahaha.

...just as long as they don't release something like Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot again, I think I'll be happy with this.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I'm pretty excited about this. I also think it looks very much like BL2, but hey I loved that game so i'm cool with that. I am so glad that Claptrap is playable, he will be very interesting, and possible very different from the others. I wonder if or how he will be able to do things that the other characters can do, such as jump. Anyway, if it isn't too expensive on release, I think i'll pick this one up. And hey, maybe we could get together a group of PC members for a multiplayer runthrough, that would be pretty cool!

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • I'm pretty excited about this. I also think it looks very much like BL2, but hey I loved that game so i'm cool with that. I am so glad that Claptrap is playable, he will be very interesting, and possible very different from the others. I wonder if or how he will be able to do things that the other characters can do, such as jump. Anyway, if it isn't too expensive on release, I think i'll pick this one up. And hey, maybe we could get together a group of PC members for a multiplayer runthrough, that would be pretty cool!

That's a really good point, I never thought about that. In retrospect, I don't think he is technically able to, as Borderlands lore already made it so that they couldn't. Remember that scene in Borderlands 2 when Claptrap wanted to destroy Handsome Jack but he was confronted by his "one true weakness" which were stairs? They'll probably end up using the low gravity as an excuse for him to jump, but he technically shouldn't be able to due to what happened in Borderlands 2.

TY

That's a really good point, I never thought about that. In retrospect, I don't think he is technically able to, as Borderlands lore already made it so that they couldn't. Remember that scene in Borderlands 2 when Claptrap wanted to destroy Handsome Jack but he was confronted by his "one true weakness" which were stairs? They'll probably end up using the low gravity as an excuse for him to jump, but he technically shouldn't be able to due to what happened in Borderlands 2.

That would be a big disappointment if they did and that even may turn people down from buying it. Also it would be quite problematic with cover and even talking to characters with his size, since he is half the size of Salvador who is already a tiny person. Gearbox really should think of these factors or Claptrap may be the death of Borderlands. Risky, but if executed properly this game would be interesting.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • I am certainly looking forward to this game. If the characters in this game can have their outfits and heads customized, I would not be surprised if the game checks if a player has played Borderlands and Borderlands 2. If a player has, the game gives a special head and outfit. It would be good if they keep that feature.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • I am certainly looking forward to this game. If the characters in this game can have their outfits and heads customized, I would not be surprised if the game checks if a player has played Borderlands and Borderlands 2. If a player has, the game gives a special head and outfit. It would be good if they keep that feature.

Hmm...I'm actually really curious how they would handle giving customization to Claptrap if they continue this trend. I think they could easily give him a paintjob, but I wonder how they'll handle the "head" customization. It would actually be pretty funny if they just gave him like, a slew of hats to wear like a cowboy hat or something ridiculous like a Handsome Jack mask xD Either way, I hope Gearbox continues giving us, the players, the ability to make our characters unique by allowing us to customize our characters in one shape or another.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Also - and I don't mean to double post by the way, but thought people would want to see this - I went to PAX East today and went to the Borderlands booth and learned a lot more about the game:

I waited about an hour and a half to play the game, but Gearbox totally trolled us and had us just watch someone else play the game ): Either way, the game actually plays really well! They played as Athena and my god, she's essentially Captain America. Her "skill" is that she uses a shield to absorb bullets and then after time throw her shield at her enemy (kindove like how in Titanfall you can absorb bullets and then throw it back at them). They actually showed that you can have teammates fire at your shield when activated and essentially you can do that to power it up and throw it at them. Furthermore, when you have the shield activated, you can shoot bullets with a gun in the other hand, so it basically makes you invincible for a short period of time. When you max out her skill tree, you get the ability to throw her shield at multiple enemies; it will chain combo and travel to up to 4 enemies I believe, practically instant killing them.

They didn't really touch on the gunslinger, but they told us about how Wilhelm works a little bit. Supposedly, as you level up his character, his body changes as well, as he'll become more robotic with weapon attachments (almost like he's transforming into the Wilhelm we know from Borderlands 2). Claptrap - like I guessed earlier - actually does wear hats as his customization xD He's actually a lot shorter than the other characters, so it would be interesting to see if his line of sight is closer to the ground than the other characters. They didn't show him jumping, so I don't exactly know if he has that ability or not, but they did say that this is the same Claptrap that finds you at the beginning of Borderlands 2, not a random one like the ones in the first Borderlands.

With the actual gameplay, they introduced a few new type of weapons. One of them is an "ice beam", which essentially freezes your opponents and you can use the slam attack that they talked about while double jumping to shatter them into millions of pieces. Another kind of gun is a "lazer gun," which comes in 2 different variants; one that will shoot out into bursts (like how you'd see in a Star Wars movie) and one that is a constant stream (like how you'd see in Ghostbusters). The addition of an oxygen supply also isn't a deterrent I realized. The oxygen bar goes down pretty slowly, and the game has many, many oxygen pockets on the moon so it's not like one of those horror games where you have to constantly monitor your oxygen tank. Although it's still quite useful, as when you double jump it releases oxygen as well as I think they said that if you use guns that use fire element or electricity that it will reduce your oxygen supply as well. However, there are items you can use that will create "mini zones" of oxygen so you can use them in the midst of battle and not have to worry about losing any oxygen.

There was only one minor thing that really bugged me. If you didn't know, the game was made by 2K Australia (the same company who worked on the Bioshock series mind you), and a lot of the voice acting in the game clearly has a pretty thick authentic Australian accent. I don't know if they'll change that for later on, but it was a peculiar thing that I picked up on while watching the game.

That's all I can remember at this time. The graphics of it are absolutely stunning by the way, I think they actually upped it from Borderlands 2 surprisingly. Sorry again for double posting, but I felt like posting before I forgot all this knowledge that I gained today :3 If I remember anything else I'll either edit this post or post later about it.

TY

Also - and I don't mean to double post by the way, but thought people would want to see this - I went to PAX East today and went to the Borderlands booth and learned a lot more about the game:

I waited about an hour and a half to play the game, but Gearbox totally trolled us and had us just watch someone else play the game ): Either way, the game actually plays really well! They played as Athena and my god, she's essentially Captain America. Her "skill" is that she uses a shield to absorb bullets and then after time throw her shield at her enemy (kindove like how in Titanfall you can absorb bullets and then throw it back at them). They actually showed that you can have teammates fire at your shield when activated and essentially you can do that to power it up and throw it at them. Furthermore, when you have the shield activated, you can shoot bullets with a gun in the other hand, so it basically makes you invincible for a short period of time. When you max out her skill tree, you get the ability to throw her shield at multiple enemies; it will chain combo and travel to up to 4 enemies I believe, practically instant killing them.

They didn't really touch on the gunslinger, but they told us about how Wilhelm works a little bit. Supposedly, as you level up his character, his body changes as well, as he'll become more robotic with weapon attachments (almost like he's transforming into the Wilhelm we know from Borderlands 2). Claptrap - like I guessed earlier - actually does wear hats as his customization xD He's actually a lot shorter than the other characters, so it would be interesting to see if his line of sight is closer to the ground than the other characters. They didn't show him jumping, so I don't exactly know if he has that ability or not, but they did say that this is the same Claptrap that finds you at the beginning of Borderlands 2, not a random one like the ones in the first Borderlands.

With the actual gameplay, they introduced a few new type of weapons. One of them is an "ice beam", which essentially freezes your opponents and you can use the slam attack that they talked about while double jumping to shatter them into millions of pieces. Another kind of gun is a "lazer gun," which comes in 2 different variants; one that will shoot out into bursts (like how you'd see in a Star Wars movie) and one that is a constant stream (like how you'd see in Ghostbusters). The addition of an oxygen supply also isn't a deterrent I realized. The oxygen bar goes down pretty slowly, and the game has many, many oxygen pockets on the moon so it's not like one of those horror games where you have to constantly monitor your oxygen tank. Although it's still quite useful, as when you double jump it releases oxygen as well as I think they said that if you use guns that use fire element or electricity that it will reduce your oxygen supply as well. However, there are items you can use that will create "mini zones" of oxygen so you can use them in the midst of battle and not have to worry about losing any oxygen.

There was only one minor thing that really bugged me. If you didn't know, the game was made by 2K Australia (the same company who worked on the Bioshock series mind you), and a lot of the voice acting in the game clearly has a pretty thick authentic Australian accent. I don't know if they'll change that for later on, but it was a peculiar thing that I picked up on while watching the game.

That's all I can remember at this time. The graphics of it are absolutely stunning by the way, I think they actually upped it from Borderlands 2 surprisingly. Sorry again for double posting, but I felt like posting before I forgot all this knowledge that I gained today :3 If I remember anything else I'll either edit this post or post later about it.

I wish I was there to see some of that stuff myself haha, but this definetly looks interesting to play around with. Also it would be amazing to add Ice as a new element, to make it more varied. Nonetheless this is a great improvement from the info we had before and now I just want Gearbox to shut up and take my money!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Since we have Borderlands thread here, I would like to ask about upcoming Vita B2.
    Do you guys think that Borderlands will be better on Vita or should stay on PS3?
    I want to give this a try and would like to know which version is better.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Claaaaaaaaap Traaaaaaaaap ♥ I think this is great news and I'm very much looking forward to the game, especially given the available characters, but I can't help feeling like the whole gravity/oxygen/etc features could make it a tad too gimmicky for the franchise - why change what's not broken by making it overly-complicated? I think I'd have preferred to play the story leading from the heroes of Borderlands 1 to their Crimson Raiders organisation in Borderlands 2, but who knows, that may well be on its way after!

Years
  • After watching a few analysis videos of the pre-alpha gameplay, I think the Pre-Sequel will be pretty interesting. Without the slag element (replaced by cryo/freeze), if they decide to put in a "UVHM" equivalent, then it won't be that reliant on the bonus damage from slag (which I hated when I was playing through UVHM). Also, frozen giblets! And ground pounds! These are new mechanics that I'd love to see in the series. (I'm just hoping that the game doesn't require a high-end computer since mine is pretty mediocre atm)

Back