• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Boring Battles

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
Have you ever been in a battle that you knew from turn 1 that the opponent was going to stall the battle way past an hour that you just quit the battle before you start? A battle sooooooooooooo long and boring, even if you beat your opponent, you still feel as if you lost? Maybe you feel that way because the opponent got the privilege to troll you for an hour and wasted your precious time.

A lot of times in online battling, I feel that way. As soon as I see my opponent use his first substitute, I just drop the battle. I have more important things to do like train a Blastoise or study new battle techniques rather than entertain a staller. I mean, the reason it's 3v3 as opposed to 6v6 is because the battles aresupposed to be shorter. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Trolls still find some way to drag out a battle to have 50 turns.

I got my revenge. As soon as I see an opponent ready to stall, I do the following:

When choosing the pokemon, I let the time run out. Once the battle starts, I walk away from my 3DS. I boot up my other 3DS, and play another online battle with my second copy of the game. My opponent on the first 3DS will still stall the battle, but it takes so long because nobody is inputting commands that he/she will either rage quit or the 30 minute timer runs out. My opponent is wasting his time, while I am still enjoying myself.

So tell me forum, what lame, dull, boring, or super dragged out battles have you been involved in?

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
Years
^ I've actually done that before, but since I usually multitask battling and playing something else on a console, instead of booting up a second DS I just put the DS down and only play the console game. That specific instance was when first turn the guy minimized with a Chansey. I narrowed my eyes slowly, before lowering the DS to the table next to me and un-pausing Farcry. I don't know if he quit, or really stalled that whole match, or what - because by the time I picked it back up it was asking if I wanted to record the match. I declined.

Another time something similar happened in X/Y, but the guy just kept switching in shuckle, protecting, switching in something else, protecting, racking up entry hazard and toxic damage. I actually played that one out though, and won verrrry closely thanks to a late game starmie save, but it still pushed me ever the further away from singles gameplay.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Online now
Stall is a legitimate strategy ya know. Though I can understand how it can be a little irritating when you're unable to do anything to your opponent (trust me, I've battled Dark Azelf's stall teams like 5 times and I've never gotten remotely close to beating him; never ragequited against him btw).

But....being a dick back and timestalling isn't any better. It's kinda worse, imo.

Years
Also, if you can't handle a 100 turn game you should probably do something else. People demanding 20 and below turn games, is the reason the XY metagame sucks, as well as the communuty.

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
Also, if you can't handle a 100 turn game you should probably do something else. People demanding 20 and below turn games, is the reason the XY metagame sucks, as well as the communuty.

I guess this is technically true, but isn't playing Pokémon supposed to be . . . you know. . . Fun? dragging a battle forever is not fun IMO. It's like playing street fighter, and the fights last 3 hours a piece with nothing but blocks and parries. Unless there's action going on and not entertaining the stalling, video games cannot be fun.

Polar Spectrum

Years
Stall is a legitimate strategy ya know. Though I can understand how it can be a little irritating when you're unable to do anything to your opponent (trust me, I've battled Dark Azelf's stall teams like 5 times and I've never gotten remotely close to beating him; never ragequited against him btw).

But....being a dick back and timestalling isn't any better. It's kinda worse, imo.

Oh yeah, I can appreciate a legitimate stall team. But sadly on wifi, especially in B/W back in the day, they didn't have any rules in place to prevent some really silly shenanigans. There was also no Hawlucha at that time to Flying Press the minimizing Chansey and punish his exploiting that bit. :c

That one was also an unranked Free Battle.... So if he picked up on the fact that I was just letting the clocks run out and didn't wanna wait, he coulda forfeited and ended it immediately to neither of our loss / gain, (just as I could've, I know) or just switched in something offensive and taken out my whole team. For all I know he could've actually, because like I said I don't know how that battle ended. :I

No my issue isn't with stall in general, just poor sports. People who could end the game, with an almost certain course of action, but choose not to. The Funbro with leppa berry kinda person. And if you're a serious stall team player - nice that's cool, some people enjoy and thrive in the kind of battle that lasts 80 turns with a switch in every other one or two, and the majority of damage dealt not being from attacks, but dot status, or entry hazards. That is one way to play the game efficiently at least- foooor sure. Just not my kinda thing really.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Online now
Oh yeah, I can appreciate a legitimate stall team. But sadly on wifi, especially in B/W back in the day, they didn't have any rules in place to prevent some really silly shenanigans. There was also no Hawlucha at that time to Flying Press the minimizing Chansey and punish his exploiting that bit. :c

That one was also an unranked Free Battle.... So if he picked up on the fact that I was just letting the clocks run out and didn't wanna wait, he coulda forfeited and ended it immediately to neither of our loss / gain, (just as I could've, I know) or just switched in something offensive and taken out my whole team. For all I know he could've actually, because like I said I don't know how that battle ended. :I

No my issue isn't with stall in general, just poor sports. People who could end the game, with an almost certain course of action, but choose not to. The Funbro with leppa berry kinda person. And if you're a serious stall team player - nice that's cool, some people enjoy and thrive in the kind of battle that lasts 80 turns with a switch in every other one or two, and the majority of damage dealt not being from attacks, but dot status, or entry hazards. That is one way to play the game efficiently at least- foooor sure. Just not my kinda thing really.
Nah, I get that, I've been there with Minimize Chanseys and Sand Veil Brightpowder Garchomps. I don't like poor sports and Funbro type people either. It's just that sometimes people lump legitimate stall in together with ******* stall when they aren't the same thing is all.

Polar Spectrum

Years
Oh yeah, there's a fair amount of difference. Thank god the legitimate stall players are usually just flat out better battlers than the troll stallers from what I've seen.

Another thing that bores me in battles is the set you know before it makes a move. Or more accurately, a whole team of pokemon whose sets you know before the battle even starts. (Usually. Sometimes I have a great time with people whose teams are so predictable I can be silly with them.)

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 29, 2024
Seems i need to make more irritating teams to make user Zeffy and Zekrom ragequit.

srinator

tbh none of my battles have ended within 20 turns, even if i use an offensive team, unless ofc i am on the main ladder( guh)

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I don'T like when someone always switch theire pokemon. I know and love the switch, but sometime it is waaaay too much. And I hate when I battle against wall pokemon, or when the user only have legendairies and/or OU pokemon.

But I hate ragequitting, so I will always do the fight even if I know I will lose.

I don'T like when someone always switch theire pokemon. I know and love the switch, but sometime it is waaaay too much. And I hate when I battle against wall pokemon, or when the user only have legendairies and/or OU pokemon.

But I hate ragequitting, so I will always do the fight even if I know I will lose.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
Toxic Heal Gliscor with Earthquake as it's only attacking move VS Toxic Heal Gliscor with Earthquake as it's only attacking move.

Lesssgoo

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
I had a battle with a skarmory who was stalling with toxic/stealth rock/roost/whirlwind. It didn't work out to his favor. Using my tank built Lugia, I was able to outstall my opponent, then sweep the rest of his team with my Greninja. Revenge is so sweet sometimes.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Everytime I see a Gliscor.... I run 6 pokemon with Ice Beam. Cuz that garbage happens all too often.

I run Pokemon with Hyper Voice just to get past substitute users. Pixilate types abilities make that attack stronk.

I hate stall teams. I Love the VGC/Battle Spot format. Bring 6 but only use 3/4 based on your opponent's team.

I actually just has a ORAS OU battle with Gliscor... Still the same.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 29, 2024

will lose.

Oh boy, where to start.....

Cant you like predict the switch and/or double switch? Its one of the fundamental factors of competitive battling.

Secondly, legendaries =/= uber (most are worse than normal pokemon and megas) and if you dont like facing OU pokemon then battle in a lower tier otherwise, know, you are going to be seeing alot of OU pokemon lol. :\

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
Oh boy, where to start.....

Secondly, legendaries =/= uber (most are worse than normal pokemon and megas) and if you dont like facing OU pokemon then battle in a lower tier otherwise, know, you are going to be seeing alot of OU pokemon lol. :\

Yeah I know, I still do a lot of battles online :)
I didn't say I hate competitive battles, I love them! But I don't mind to lose. I play with a lot of UU/NU because I like to play with my favorite pokemon but still playing competitive. And I didn't say I don't switch or I don't like when the other is switching his pokemon, but I see sometime battles who never ends because of the Pokemon switching and that's what I don't really like. The title of the thread is "boring battles" so for me, a boring battle is a battle who never ends :)

sorry if I can't express myself clearly :)

applemonster

Forum Lurker...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 3, 2016
I find boring battles are ones where an opponent will just use a tanked up pokemon and knows you have no way of beating them.
I find fun battles are when you are both using semi competitive pokemon and you both present an interesting challenge.
My favourite battle was against a guy only using Legendaries that I almost bet with a Quiver dance Vivillon after he sweeped my other 5 pokemon. Rage quit before I could have possibly won.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Here's a boring, but very evil and sadistic battle I had in the Halloween friendly: 9WRG-WWWW-WWWA-AX6C.

My opponent used this Sableye set:
-Confuse Ray
-Double Team
-Will-o-Wisp
-Recover
Nature: Bold/Calm (?)
EVs: ?
Item: Roseli Berry
Ability: Prankster

I didn't have any Taunt users on my team at all, so when I eventually brought his team down to Sableye itself, I had to resort to switching Chandelure and Aegislash around to stall out Sableye's PP and the time limit.

Back