• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Box Art

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • So, one of the few things that I acutely look for in video games is, if the video game box art appeals to me. It's weird, but, it kind of creates an effect that, "hey, the game looks pretty cool!" So, from that point, what are your favourite video game box arts? Which one appeals to you, and which ones, do you think just-looks-plain-bad? Or anything else you'd like to say about box arts! How do box arts generally appeal to you?

TY

My fave of all time has to be Borderlands 1.

The bandits, the spiderants and a huge structure on the background while a Psycho holds his hand like a gun against his head on the front.

Mainly i dont really care for box art much, i dont show it to everyone since it'll end up in a box anyways :P

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Yep, box art has a strange appeal to me as well. I clearly remember paying extra simply 'cause I wanted the game with the cool looking cover.

Ico, my favorite video game cover as of now, is one example.

Spoiler:

I imported the PAL version simply for the cover, lol. The NA cover was nowhere near as nice looking.

TouretteUnicorn

Professionally unprofessional
    Years
  • Box art often has a huge appeal on me and random game purchases. I feel as though the covers affect my perception when I first enter the game; and it never hurts to have a piece of art on hand.

My favorite video game box art;
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I like the simple box-art, like that of the TES series. It implies, like an old book, that something great is within. Poor box-art is a clashing collage of art assets, review quotes and award listings... really every element made to entice sales sends me the opposite notion of 'look how cheap this game is'.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I judge games based on how their box-art look, honestly. If it's flashy and stylish, I'll buy the game. If it's too simple, though, then I most likely won't. I'm not the only person who does this. There's a lot of other people out there who do that, too; I'm sure. You shouldn't judge a book (a game, in this case) by its cover, but unfortunately, that's how humans are. You can't do anything to change that. d: One of my all-time favorite video game covers would have to be Dues Ex. The colors are very eye-catching, and I love position that the man's standing in. I also like the cover-art of Wind Waker HD.

Last edited:

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • Hm. I can't think of a specific game covers, but games that often peak my interest have been known to have bright and colorful box art and that's my preference.

Years
  • I usually don't pay too much attention to box art. I use the same rule I do for books and movies: Don't judge by their cover.

I will say, though, that box art that works is really neato. I'm personally a big fan of simplistic artwork, ones that don't try and impress me with box art alone.

I think Pokemon is a good example of what I like. It's not too flashy or colorful. It's like "This game has THIS guy in it!", which I think works out pretty well.

Nakala Pri

If the box art is good, it'll immediately create an illumination that the game is good. xD Like with Moshi Monsters Theme Park 3D, I screwed up. But c'mon, the back of it said you can create your very own theme park and collect cute-as monsters. But it was built off mini-games and stuff. Plus the cover had all of my fave Moshi Monsters on it on Roller Coasters and little trains. xD

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • Spoiler:

The Burnout series is known for its high speed racing, and destruction. This cover captures both of those well in my opinion.
    Spoiler:

Ahh, Touhou. Even things as simple as putting one of the main antagonists on the cover, with some artwork in the background can create a stunning effect.
    Spoiler:

This cover just shows the point of the game. Showing what's happening between Naruto and Sasuke, as they..well, battle it out.

Years
  • Spoiler:

The box art for Etrian Odyssey Untold was beautiful and caught my eye right away! Something about the side-view artwork appealed to me as it looked a lot less generic than the usual front view box art covers we have for anime-styled games.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
  • Final Fantasy box arts always look pretty cool, never really played the game themselves but yeah.

To be honest almost all AAA titles have impressive box arts to them nowadays, there hasn't been a single box art nowadays I've seen and thought that it sucked.

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Spoiler:

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time's box art was the reason I started playing this game. I loved the ethereal look it's got going for it. Those feathers, that pose... it's pretty sweet.

And just to throw this out there, the whole judging-a-book-by-its-cover thing is totally the philosophy I use when I pick new games. XD

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    Spoiler:

Not my favourite of all time (that's too difficult to choose), but this is probably the first game I ever liked the boxart of so much that I got it without ever having heard about it.

Seriously underrated. Boktai is an amazing game.

Back