• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Brainstorming. What do you think?

Years
  • I'm thinking of using an OC of mine and making a Pokemon Fanfiction where she's going to the Pokemon Academy, and perhaps goes on a quest. Not so much with badges and trainers but just kind of experiences the Pokemon world. Sort of like the anime but not too much battling. What do you guys think?

Years
  • I have some questions regarding this idea of yours.

1. Why a pokémon academy?

I have yet to come across a person who'd rather go to school than journey into the world with their own pokémon. Schools seem like a total waste to me. Would you honestly choose to stay in one place, have to take classes, and listen to teachers instead of going out there and experiencing the world yourself? It's completely illogical. Assuming your character is older than the age of ten, at least.

Why would he/she do that? You'd have to come up with a clear reason why a person would stay behind when they could journey around. (Especially for a character who wants to 'experience the pokémon world' like you said.) In the games those who go to schools are usually younger than ten, so unless your character is too it wouldn't make much sense to me.

2. What's your plot?

You've given us nothing. Someone drops out of the pokémon academy, goes on a side-quest, and journeys a bit? That's not a plot, that's a vague allusion to a plot. If we want to give our opinion on your ideas, then you need to share them with us. What is she going to be doing? What's the side-quest about? What's driving her? Do you have a clear ending in mind, or are you thinking of things as you go along?

We can't give you an opinion if you don't give us anything to have an opinion on. Because right now watching someone 'experience the pokémon world' sounds incredibly dull.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • 1. Why a pokémon academy?

I have yet to come across a person who'd rather go to school than journey into the world with their own pokémon. Schools seem like a total waste to me. Would you honestly choose to stay in one place, have to take classes, and listen to teachers instead of going out there and experiencing the world yourself? It's completely illogical. Assuming your character is older than the age of ten, at least.

Why would he/she do that? You'd have to come up with a clear reason why a person would stay behind when they could journey around. (Especially for a character who wants to 'experience the pokémon world' like you said.) In the games those who go to schools are usually younger than ten, so unless your character is too it wouldn't make much sense to me.

I strongly disagree with this. I can immediately come up with at least four kinds of people who would stay in school even if given the chance to drop out and journey around:

1) someone who's really bad with Pokémon and keeps losing all their battles. If you know you suck, you'd probably rather try to learn something than just run around getting your Pokémon beaten up. Likewise, someone who has just been introduced to the whole concept of battling would need some education before they start to journey around in a world filled with people who know what they're doing.

2) someone whose parents are strict. Yes, in the canon, all we see are very laid-back and trustful parents, but I still don't think all parents in the Pokémon world are like that. Why could there not be a parent who says "no" when their kid wants to go on an adventure at the age of ten? They could force their kids to go to school even after they can get their trainer's license for various reasons: to be sure that the child is safe when they do leave home, to assure a better future for them if being a trainer doesn't work out, to coach them into future winners...

3) someone who doesn't like battling. If you journey around, you'll be likely to be forced into battling by either wild Pokémon or trainers. So, if someone doesn't like to battle, why would they leave at the very age when everyone expects them to want to battle everything and everyone they encounter? They could stay home for a bit longer, go to school while they're there, and so forth. Not everyone in the Pokémon world is a trainer.

4) someone who likes to learn. If you want to be a researcher or a scientist, like Bill, you'd probably rather stay in school while you're young instead of wasting time by running around. I can't imagine Bill ever going on a trainer journey, and a lot of my characters are similar to him. They like Pokémon, yeah, but battling doesn't interest them at all. They want to know more, they want to know everything, which is why they stay in school for as long as possible.

I do not find staying in school illogical at all. Of course, if the character is someone like Ash, then yes, it's strange for them to stay in school after the age of ten. However, as a concept, I don't find it strange at all. Not everyone is a trainer in the Pokémon world, you know.

Years
  • I strongly disagree with this. I can immediately come up with at least four kinds of people who would stay in school even if given the chance to drop out and journey around:

1) someone who's really bad with Pokémon and keeps losing all their battles. If you know you suck, you'd probably rather try to learn something than just run around getting your Pokémon beaten up. Likewise, someone who has just been introduced to the whole concept of battling would need some education before they start to journey around in a world filled with people who know what they're doing.

2) someone whose parents are strict. Yes, in the canon, all we see are very laid-back and trustful parents, but I still don't think all parents in the Pokémon world are like that. Why could there not be a parent who says "no" when their kid wants to go on an adventure at the age of ten? They could force their kids to go to school even after they can get their trainer's license for various reasons: to be sure that the child is safe when they do leave home, to assure a better future for them if being a trainer doesn't work out, to coach them into future winners...

3) someone who doesn't like battling. If you journey around, you'll be likely to be forced into battling by either wild Pokémon or trainers. So, if someone doesn't like to battle, why would they leave at the very age when everyone expects them to want to battle everything and everyone they encounter? They could stay home for a bit longer, go to school while they're there, and so forth. Not everyone in the Pokémon world is a trainer.

4) someone who likes to learn. If you want to be a researcher or a scientist, like Bill, you'd probably rather stay in school while you're young instead of wasting time by running around. I can't imagine Bill ever going on a trainer journey, and a lot of my characters are similar to him. They like Pokémon, yeah, but battling doesn't interest them at all. They want to know more, they want to know everything, which is why they stay in school for as long as possible.

I do not find staying in school illogical at all. Of course, if the character is someone like Ash, then yes, it's strange for them to stay in school after the age of ten. However, as a concept, I don't find it strange at all. Not everyone is a trainer in the Pokémon world, you know.

Thank you, I very much feel the same way. I wanted to make a character who did not like to battle, but rather just understand Pokemon more. With her parents thinking she was not ready to until she at least got a good understanding of Pokemon. Not to mention most people under the age of 17 are in school so it makes more realistic sense. You could sort of say the character looks highly up to someone such as Professor Oak. I do thank you for your views. :3 It's good to see someone understands where I'm coming from.

Years
  • 1) someone who's really bad with Pokémon and keeps losing all their battles. If you know you suck, you'd probably rather try to learn something than just run around getting your Pokémon beaten up. Likewise, someone who has just been introduced to the whole concept of battling would need some education before they start to journey around in a world filled with people who know what they're doing.
    Like I said, you'd have to come up with very clear reasons why someone would want to go to a school.

The first one wouldn't work here, because if they're so terrible at battling then them going off on some quest doesn't make sense. There'd be a reason why they're at the school and not out there and it would keep them from going on some sort of quest, because that would require even better skills. Also, someone being bad could easily be solved by practising more, or even just finding a trainer to train with. Spending money and time studying about battling seems a waste of time and money. Actually doing said battling would help a lot more.

Also, these are people from a world where pokémon and being a trainer is something that everyone is expected to be familiar with. Not knowing how battling works - you take a turn, I take a turn - sounds pretty far-fetched. Even so, kids go out on journeys all the time and if intimately knowing how to battle was important, they'd all be subjected to go to a school. They're not, so someone being too lazy to look things up before journeying doesn't really require a school to be built for them.

I see this reason all the time, because it's often the one given when I ask why the fifteen year old is getting his first pokémon. It doesn't add up. This is a world where ten year olds can go to a professor and receive a free pokémon. Consent by parents doesn't seem to have much to do with that. Even if they'd need consent, they could easily ask a trainer they know to catch them a frickin' weedle and then leave. It's not that hard.

This is in the same boat. If they wanted to go - which is expected in the pokémon and perfectly natural - then no crazy parents would be able to stop them. Forcing them to go to school wouldn't even factor in because unlike this world kids there can leave on their journey whenever they want.

If kids have a license, they can leave. If his character had interest in journeying - which he alluded to with his 'wants to experience the world' - they could leave.

If all they wanted was to sight-see, they could easily do so by saying 'no' when people ask them for a battle. They could choose to not register with the league, or avoid areas where battling happens a lot. Seriously, though, just because the games have ways of making you fight trainers doesn't mean that you have to include this in your story. I don't say this often, but some canon bits are just game-mechanics and not to be followed. (In the games you never eat and never use the toilet. I have yet to see anyone follow this idea in their stories.)

Also, if someone hated battling they certainly wouldn't want to go to a school. A school that, if it has a varied schedule, would include battling. It's a vital part of working with pokémon and any self-respecting 'academy' would include it. Simply not going to school and, I don't know, journeying around would serve that idea much better.

Yes, scientists would want to go to school. That is one of those 'good reasons' I mentioned. However, this is not relevant for this character, because the writer explicitly mentioned that he/she wanted to journey around and is thus not interested in the academics as much as the actual travelling.

I do not find staying in school illogical at all. Of course, if the character is someone like Ash, then yes, it's strange for them to stay in school after the age of ten. However, as a concept, I don't find it strange at all.
    The writer has already established that the character wants to travel and is going to go on some sort of quest. So in that regard, yes, they're like Ash. For most of the pokémon world, it'd be strange to stay in school when they could go out and actually do what they're studying for. You learn much better by doing it than watching pictures on a screen.

Not everyone is a trainer in the Pokémon world, you know.
    Which would be relevant if we were talking about something other than a pokémon academy. I'm not talking about those wanting to be a police officer. Though, granted, with the amount of pokémon owned by people all over the world, almost everyone probably started out training or are training pokémon now.

Edit.

Thank you, I very much feel the same way. I wanted to make a character who did not like to battle, but rather just understand Pokemon more.

Working with pokémon would serve that so much better. Just reading about horses and watching pictures of them isn't going to teach you half as much as actually working with them is. If he/she wanted to understand pokémon, it'd be much more practical to actually own and work with one.

With her parents thinking she was not ready to until she at least got a good understanding of Pokemon.

Why would they, though? Other parents don't seem to have much of a problem with it, so why would they? I'm not saying that all parents should have similar ideas, but there should be a reasonable explanation for them going against the grain. Why do they think so differently compared to the rest of the world? Also, if someone who's lived in the pokémon world for over ten years doesn't have some sort of understanding about pokémon, then they should open their eyes. People might not be experts, but they're surrounding by an entire world that lives and breathes with pokémon. They'd know enough to get by and would learn more once they started to journey.

Not to mention most people under the age of 17 are in school so it makes more realistic sense.

Ehm, no they're not. Just because it happens in our world doesn't mean it would in theirs. Kids leave at the age of ten and they might, after giving up on their dreams of being a great trainer, eventually go back to school, but it's not their starting point. They don't go to school and then go on a journey. They go on a journey and then go back to school.

You could sort of say the character looks highly up to someone such as Professor Oak.

You never even mentioned this. Like I said, it'd help if you gave us something to work with. Even so, why would someone who looked up to a researcher want to go out and journey? If they wanted to, like professor Oak, devote their life to a specific subject, then they wouldn't need to go off on a pokémon journey and sight-see.

I do thank you for your views. :3 It's good to see someone understands where I'm coming from.

I hope you can see where I'm coming from as well?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well since there seems to be a touch of a dispute let me clarify.

My character is 14, female. She is going to school because she wants not to understand the mechanics of battle but more about how Pokemon respond to their environment and people. She is somewhat interested in becoming a scientist. This quest I'm talking about isn't like Ash's. She has no interest whatsoever in the Pokemon League. The quest she wants to go on is more of a personal thing. She wants to go around to every place she can and discover new Pokemon, and like Ash, she DOES want to catch them all, but mainly just because she wants to understand and befriend then. It's not so much an action thing but more of a shoujo-genre story. More of just a little something, nothing too huge, you know?

Like I said, she admires Professor Oak and all of them.

Like I said, you'd have to come up with very clear reasons why someone would want to go to a school.

The first one wouldn't work here, because if they're so terrible at battling then them going off on some quest doesn't make sense. There'd be a reason why they're at the school and not out there and it would keep them from going on some sort of quest, because that would require even better skills. Also, someone being bad could easily be solved by practising more, or even just finding a trainer to train with. Spending money and time studying about battling seems a waste of time and money. Actually doing said battling would help a lot more.

Also, these are people from a world where pokémon and being a trainer is something that everyone is expected to be familiar with. Not knowing how battling works - you take a turn, I take a turn - sounds pretty far-fetched. Even so, kids go out on journeys all the time and if intimately knowing how to battle was important, they'd all be subjected to go to a school. They're not, so someone being too lazy to look things up before journeying doesn't really require a school to be built for them.

I see this reason all the time, because it's often the one given when I ask why the fifteen year old is getting his first pokémon. It doesn't add up. This is a world where ten year olds can go to a professor and receive a free pokémon. Consent by parents doesn't seem to have much to do with that. Even if they'd need consent, they could easily ask a trainer they know to catch them a frickin' weedle and then leave. It's not that hard.

This is in the same boat. If they wanted to go - which is expected in the pokémon and perfectly natural - then no crazy parents would be able to stop them. Forcing them to go to school wouldn't even factor in because unlike this world kids there can leave on their journey whenever they want.

If kids have a license, they can leave. If his character had interest in journeying - which he alluded to with his 'wants to experience the world' - they could leave.

If all they wanted was to sight-see, they could easily do so by saying 'no' when people ask them for a battle. They could choose to not register with the league, or avoid areas where battling happens a lot. Seriously, though, just because the games have ways of making you fight trainers doesn't mean that you have to include this in your story. I don't say this often, but some canon bits are just game-mechanics and not to be followed. (In the games you never eat and never use the toilet. I have yet to see anyone follow this idea in their stories.)

Also, if someone hated battling they certainly wouldn't want to go to a school. A school that, if it has a varied schedule, would include battling. It's a vital part of working with pokémon and any self-respecting 'academy' would include it. Simply not going to school and, I don't know, journeying around would serve that idea much better.

Yes, scientists would want to go to school. That is one of those 'good reasons' I mentioned. However, this is not relevant for this character, because the writer explicitly mentioned that he/she wanted to journey around and is thus not interested in the academics as much as the actual travelling.

The writer has already established that the character wants to travel and is going to go on some sort of quest. So in that regard, yes, they're like Ash. For most of the pokémon world, it'd be strange to stay in school when they could go out and actually do what they're studying for. You learn much better by doing it than watching pictures on a screen.

Which would be relevant if we were talking about something other than a pokémon academy. I'm not talking about those wanting to be a police officer. Though, granted, with the amount of pokémon owned by people all over the world, almost everyone probably started out training or are training pokémon now.

Edit.

Working with pokémon would serve that so much better. Just reading about horses and watching pictures of them isn't going to teach you half as much as actually working with them is. If he/she wanted to understand pokémon, it'd be much more practical to actually own and work with one.

Why would they, though? Other parents don't seem to have much of a problem with it, so why would they? I'm not saying that all parents should have similar ideas, but there should be a reasonable explanation for them going against the grain. Why do they think so differently compared to the rest of the world? Also, if someone who's lived in the pokémon world for over ten years doesn't have some sort of understanding about pokémon, then they should open their eyes. People might not be experts, but they're surrounding by an entire world that lives and breathes with pokémon. They'd know enough to get by and would learn more once they started to journey.

Ehm, no they're not. Just because it happens in our world doesn't mean it would in theirs. Kids leave at the age of ten and they might, after giving up on their dreams of being a great trainer, eventually go back to school, but it's not their starting point. They don't go to school and then go on a journey. They go on a journey and then go back to school.

You never even mentioned this. Like I said, it'd help if you gave us something to work with. Even so, why would someone who looked up to a researcher want to go out and journey? If they wanted to, like professor Oak, devote their life to a specific subject, then they wouldn't need to go off on a pokémon journey and sight-see.

I hope you can see where I'm coming from as well?

I just think that the way Pokemon is, it's too uniform. You say all parents are alright to shoo their kids out the door for a journey, that they don't need to go to school. In the story she won't be doing that forever, it's just for the rising action. Gives her a chance to make some friends, get a few Pokemon. I don't want it to be a typical story that follows every other pokemon hero/heroine. I don't like it and I refuse to write that way. I do appreciate the input but it's not where I'm coming from.

Last edited:
    Years
  • She is going to school because she wants not to understand the mechanics of battle but more about how Pokemon respond to their environment and people.
    Wait, what? So, someone who wants to understand more about pokémon in their natural habitat is choosing to do so by staying in a concrete building? Instead of actually going out there and checking how pokémon respond to the environment and people? This doesn't make sense at all. In fact, it sounds counter-productive. If she's learning about it in school then it's already been researched and she'd learn nothing from this. If it hasn't already been researched, then she would gain nothing by staying in school and should instead actually seek out data for her research.

If she doesn't want to become that much of a scientist, then she's still better off actually journeying and experiencing these pokémon-human interactions for herself. School is for theoretical things, not practical ones like you're describing.

My character is 14, female.
    So she already has her starter then? She should have been a trainer for four years already, if that's the case. So it's taken her four years to feel comfortable enough to go on a journey? Why?

The quest she wants to go on is more of a personal thing. She wants to go around to every place she can and discover new Pokemon, and like Ash, she DOES want to catch them all, but mainly just because she wants to understand and befriend then.
    By telling me this you're only adding to the fact that her going to a pokémon academy doesn't make sense. You say she wants to journey to all known places and catch all known pokémon, yet she's trying to achieve this by staying in school? She should want to go out there, not stay in school for four years and watch all other kids achieve more than she can. It's not logical.
    Like I said, she admires Professor Oak and all of them.
    And like I said, if she wants to be just like the other professors, then she wouldn't be going off on a journey to see cities and pokémon. They have too much work and studies to focus on. They can't go running off on adventures.

Edit.

I just think that the way Pokemon is, it's too uniform. You say all parents are alright to shoo their kids out the door for a journey, that they don't need to go to school. In the story she won't be doing that forever, it's just for the rising action. Gives her a chance to make some friends, get a few Pokemon. I don't want it to be a typical story that follows every other pokemon hero/heroine. I don't like it and I refuse to write that way. I do appreciate the input but it's not where I'm coming from.

I'm sorry, but it's canon. If you want to completely ignore the rules the pokémon world is built on, then you should maybe write original fiction or at least label this an AU. Kids go to school until they're ten, then they can get a starter and set out on their journey. There are very few exceptions to this and those should be explained well. What you're doing is not and actually contradicts what you've been saying earlier. She won't be doing that forever, but she has for four years already. I honestly don't see how that can be exciting.

If you want to make a story that isn't typical, then think of something original. A trainer starting their journey late, for whatever reason, sure isn't. It's common and annoyingly so. If you want to have a fourteen year old main character, then have her be an established character. Or, hey, a drop-out. Have her be someone who failed at being a trainer and returned from her journey only to find that going back to school wasn't so great. Try to think of something that could force her back out again. It'd be interesting to see a character who doesn't battle or care about gyms.

My input isn't to annoy you, but right now your story doesn't make sense. 'It's not where I'm coming from' isn't going to change that. :(

Last edited:
    Years
  • I never said that she was staying in a concrete building. I'm merely brainstorming, not setting in stone. Who's to say the teachers don't go out with their students to learn practically? When did I say she'd be doing it the whole story? Why does she need a starter at 10? It's too typical. Pokemon may have worked that way in the series and games, but look at the details. You are counteracting everything I say and trying to tell me how to write, it seems and I appreciate critiquing to a point but this is ridiculous.

Years
  • I never said that she was staying in a concrete building. I'm merely brainstorming, not setting in stone.

If you're going to school, then you're limited to some sort of building or area where that school is located. It doesn't have to be concrete, literally, but it's confining and making sure she won't see as many pokémon as she would if she were to journey around. In fact, as academies are usually located in busier cities, she wouldn't come across any natural pokémon behaviour anyway, because that tends to happen in less densely populated environments.

And I'm pointing out some of the weaknesses in those brain-storm ideas. That's why you're brainstorming here, isn't it? To find out what you want to do and what others think about it? Otherwise you wouldn't have posted it here, but instead done it at home.

Who's to say the teachers don't go out with their students to learn practically?

They might, but, like I said, it'd be limited. Much more limited than doing it yourself, like most of the world does. Schooling until the age of ten should suffice, really.

When did I say she'd be doing it the whole story?

You didn't, but you have established that she's been doing it for at least four years, probably longer. I can't imagine what they'd be studying there for so long, but there you have it.

Why does she need a starter at 10?

Because that is the age, according to canon, that someone can get a pokémon. (In the games it's even earlier. Basically whenever you want.) Ff she's fourteen and still doesn't have a pokémon, then she doesn't care at all about them and probably wouldn't want to go looking for them. There are various other reasons why not having a pokémon yet would be silly, but going into all of them would take too much time.

It's too typical. Pokemon may have worked that way in the series and games, but look at the details.

It's not 'too typical', it's canon. It's like saying that American kids getting their driver's license at sixteen is typical. (It's sixteen, right?) It's not, it's simply a fact. If you could get your driver's license for free at age sixteen, then it'd be weird to be twenty-three, love cars, and still not have your driver's license.

You are counteracting everything I say and trying to tell me how to write, it seems and I appreciate critiquing to a point but this is ridiculous.

No, what I'm doing is pointing out why I think some of your ideas don't make sense. I then point out why your counter-arguments don't make sense and contradict each other. I'm just trying to help you come up with a plot that is logical.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • Silawen, you're really just generalizing way too much. I am having a hard time figuring out what to say but I can say this. You seem to be making the assumption that every single wannabe trainer in the Pokemon world, their parents, and their entire life up until the point where they either get a Pokemon or go to the Academy are all the same. They are not. Perhaps you couldn't think of why someone would want to go to the Academy, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't exist such people. Perhaps the person wants to be a trainer, yes, but is more thoughtful and wants to take their time. Instead of leaping into it right at 10 (or, well, 12 in the fic of mine where I have an Academy. It has to do with the schooling system I thought up. Namely, a required six years starting at age six...), maybe they think it would be a better idea to take their time and learn everything first. It's sort of like lots of stuff in real life. You CAN jump into plenty of activities, but for more complex ones it's a rather good idea to actually learn about it first.

If she's learning about it in school then it's already been researched and she'd learn nothing from this. If it hasn't already been researched, then she would gain nothing by staying in school and should instead actually seek out data for her research.
    The same could be said of our real schooling, particularly college. Learning what has already been discovered is very important in further research as it provides a framework. There are certain fundamentals, particularly in the maths and sciences, that you really have to learn to actually be able to fully understand and interpret the data you gather.

So she already has her starter then? She should have been a trainer for four years already, if that's the case. So it's taken her four years to feel comfortable enough to go on a journey? Why?
    If this Academy is anything like the one I have in TFC, it's an either or scenario. Either you get your first Pokemon and start journeying, or you go to the academy, do your four years, then get your first Pokemon when you graduate.

Strawbearry_PANDA, don't give up just because of this. There's nothing really wrong about a Pokemon Academy, especially since it does have canon basis in the anime at least. The games too, but it's hard to tell exactly how they're formatted. Do listen to what Silawen says about needing to give good reasons and explanations, though. Failing to do so is why common things new authors do such as changing the starting age without saying why is so frowned upon.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Silawen, you're contradicting yourself.

Wait, what? So, someone who wants to understand more about pokémon in their natural habitat is choosing to do so by staying in a concrete building? Instead of actually going out there and checking how pokémon respond to the environment and people? This doesn't make sense at all. In fact, it sounds counter-productive. If she's learning about it in school then it's already been researched and she'd learn nothing from this. If it hasn't already been researched, then she would gain nothing by staying in school and should instead actually seek out data for her research.

Have you ever heard of ethology? It's the study of animals and their behaviour and is taught in universities. Yes, they study animals in their natural habitats, and yes, they do it in a concrete building. Why? Because someone else has already studied those animals, and it makes no sense for you to go out there to observe them before you know what is already known about them. What kind of a scientist researches things that have already been researched a thousand times before? Moreover, we're talking about someone who's 14 years old. I'll bet she doesn't know everything there is to know about Pokémon yet, and therefore, her research in the wild would be largely fruitless.

Studying indoors from books and pictures does serve a purpose, or otherwise there would be no universities or any higher education in this world. How do you think Nurse Joys are trained? They just march into the closest Pokémon Center at the age of ten and become nurses? Or, maybe they're just born as fully educated nurses? I think not.

Also, again, not everyone in the Pokémon world is a trainer. I have no idea why every school would automatically include obligatory battling lessons in their curriculum. There are coordinators, rangers, researchers, nurses, and people who just don't battle with Pokémon all over the place, so why should they make a subject like that obligatory? Maybe the school does offer battling lessons, but the character doesn't have to take them. You're generalising way too much.

Moreover, you keep contradicting yourself with what canon things you accept as real and what are just "gameplay features" (which reminds me strongly of a certain other member). If you accept the games' main character's life as the standard life in the universe, why don't you accept the way you can't say no to trainers who challenge you? We are only ever introduced to one or two parents per game, and that does not mean all parents are like them. Likewise, you can't say no to trainers who challenge you in the games, but that does not mean you couldn't possibly refuse to battle. You seem to ignore the parts of the canon that seem inconvenient for you, and that is not a good reason to ignore them. At least try to be consistent with your arguments.

That said, while you could refuse trainer battles, I don't think those wild Zubat would leave you alone even if you asked them to.

Also, not every child would be willing to run away from home just because their parents want them to go to school. I wouldn't, for one. I'd want to keep in touch with my parents, so I'd please them by going to that school like they want me to and leaving later on, when they want to let me leave or when I stop being a minor. People are different, and you are generalising way too much. Just because the main characters in Pokémon games are all similar doesn't mean everyone in the world is the same. There are shy people, people who want to avoid conflict, people who are scared of being independent, and people who don't like battling.

Just because you wouldn't want to go to school in Pokémon world doesn't mean everyone else is like you.

Years
  • You seem to be making the assumption that every single wannabe trainer in the Pokemon world, their parents, and their entire life up until the point where they either get a Pokemon or go to the Academy are all the same. They are not. Perhaps you couldn't think of why someone would want to go to the Academy, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't exist such people.
    Please read what I'm saying. I never said there wouldn't be a good reason for someone to go to an academy, but that reason has to be logical. Someone going to an academy because they want to study the behaviour of pokémon in the wild isn't.

Let me repeat:

Like I said, there are good reasons for going to a school. There aren't many I can think of, but they're there. What I'm doing is countering the ones Strawbearry_PANDA gave us.

Perhaps the person wants to be a trainer, yes, but is more thoughtful and wants to take their time. Instead of leaping into it right at 10 (or, well, 12 in the fic of mine where I have an Academy. It has to do with the schooling system I thought up. Namely, a required six years starting at age six...)
    Then why not just go slow, or start training at home? It's not a law that everyone should go out on a journey. I'm sure there are people who prefer training in their immediate area, but that wasn't relevant here because the writer told us she wants to explore the world and research pokémon behaviour.

Your fic's reasoning doesn't make sense to me either - because, hey, if that is suddenly necessary, then something drastic must have happened to the pokémon world for it to change that much - but going into that in someone else's thread would take up too much space.

It's sort of like lots of stuff in real life. You CAN jump into plenty of activities, but for more complex ones it's a rather good idea to actually learn about it first.
    Trainers leave at age ten all the time. If that was a 'good idea' and necessary, then everyone would be doing it. They're not. Or, hey, they could spend the first ten years of their life learning about those things and prepare themselves and then leave.

The same could be said of our real schooling, particularly college. Learning what has already been discovered is very important in further research as it provides a framework. There are certain fundamentals, particularly in the maths and sciences, that you really have to learn to actually be able to fully understand and interpret the data you gather.
    This doesn't apply to what she wants to do. If something was so fundamentally researched that it's taught at a random academy, then there can't be much left. Unless she wants to research specific areas or species, or whatnot, which would means she has to - again - get out there and go to these places. It doesn't make sense to stay in school when you want to learn about something happening somewhere far away from you.

If this Academy is anything like the one I have in TFC, it's an either or scenario. Either you get your first Pokemon and start journeying, or you go to the academy, do your four years, then get your first Pokemon when you graduate.
    Look, you can think of rules all you want, but they don't always agree with canon and they don't always make sense. I've explained plenty of times why it doesn't make sense for someone who wants to journey to stay at a school. Living in a world where everyone has pokémon, it also wouldn't make sense for someone to wait four years to get a pokémon when they could get one immediately. Practical teaches better than theoretical. Your fourteen year old could know all there is to know about the toenails of a psyduck, but he'd still lose spectacularly to someone three years his junior.

There's nothing really wrong about a Pokemon Academy, especially since it does have canon basis in the anime at least. The games too, but it's hard to tell exactly how they're formatted.
    In the anime all we see are kids who look ten or younger. Ash, Brock and even May positive tower over them all. The only exception is the doctor's class, which would make sense since you can't learn about medical procedures in the wild. However, researching the behaviour of pokémon doesn't work like that. You need actual, wild, pokémon for that.

They also mention that it has a class for 'future' pokémon coordinators there, meaning they're younger than ten and don't own a pokémon yet.

The other school mentioned, Pokémon Tech, is for those who don't want to go around to beat gyms. This is an alternative for travelling, which means that those who want to journey around the world researching pokémon habits wouldn't fit here. It also showed that theoretical knowledge is always going to fall flat against practical knowledge. (Misty beating her opponent, even though she had a type disadvantage.) In fact, they inspired one of the main characters of that episodes, Joe, to give up his school career and start travelling.

The latest school to be mentioned in the anime seems populated by just one class of people who are adults, already have a different job - judged by their outfits - and don't have the option of travelling anymore.

In the games you come across schools, but those are also populated by kids who look ten or younger. 'Schoolkids' look a lot younger than that and wouldn't be expected to travel around yet.

Edit.

Jeesh, I keep having to edit. XD

Silawen, you're contradicting yourself.

Ehm, you're not pointing out instances where I'm contradicting myself. : P

Have you ever heard of ethology? It's the study of animals and their behaviour and is taught in universities. Yes, they study animals in their natural habitats, and yes, they do it in a concrete building. Why? Because someone else has already studied those animals, and it makes no sense for you to go out there to observe them before you know what is already known about them. What kind of a scientist researches things that have already been researched a thousand times before? Moreover, we're talking about someone who's 14 years old. I'll bet she doesn't know everything there is to know about Pokémon yet, and therefore, her research in the wild would be largely fruitless.

I have, but that doesn't make sense for someone who wants to journey through the world to discover things about pokémon. And yes, I think such an endeavour doesn't make much sense for a fourteen year old, but I'm not the one who came up with the idea. If that were the focus of the story - a young kid who wants to become a scientist - then by all means, have her start in school, but this is not the case. It's about her journeying and finding pokémon, which you can't accomplish by being in school.

Studying indoors from books and pictures does serve a purpose, or otherwise there would be no universities or any higher education in this world. How do you think Nurse Joys are trained? They just march into the closest Pokémon Center at the age of ten and become nurses? Or, maybe they're just born as fully educated nurses? I think not.

Again, I've said that there are actual reasons for staying in school. Please don't make me quote them again. : P A nurse can't learn about medical practises by going into the wild. Someone who wants to learn about pokémon behaviour and wants to befriend them, however? They'd be better off in the wild than they'd be in school.

Also, again, not everyone in the Pokémon world is a trainer. I have no idea why every school would automatically include obligatory battling lessons in their curriculum. There are coordinators, rangers, researchers, nurses, and people who just don't battle with Pokémon all over the place, so why should they make a subject like that obligatory? Maybe the school does offer battling lessons, but the character doesn't have to take them. You're generalising way too much.

This is a pokémon academy. So it's an academy about pokémon and probably the main things you deal with when around pokémon. Seeing as battling with your pokémon - and I mean that more than just gym battles, or whatnot, but also fighting against wild pokémon - is a necessary part of that. Rangers need to know how to battle to guide others, because if they came across wild pokémon they'd have to protect them, just as coordinators would need to know how to battle to show off their attacks. Because it's an integral part of their universe - you need to have a pokémon to protect you to go out into a forest, for example - it'd safe to assume it'd be taught at an academy claiming to be about pokémon. Even so, my main point isn't that I think those who don't like to battle shouldn't go to a pokémon academy, but that those who don't like to battle don't have to suffer through trainer battles if they want to go on a journey. (Which is what the character wants.)

Moreover, you keep contradicting yourself with what canon things you accept as real and what are just "gameplay features" (which reminds me strongly of a certain other member). If you accept the games' main character's life as the standard life in the universe, why don't you accept the way you can't say no to trainers who challenge you?

Again, how am I contradicting myself? Moreover, there is a difference between following canon and following things set in place by the game designers to make the game work. Like I said, people are writing about their characters eating all the time, but there's no evidence that your character ever eats in-game. That's because the game designers left that out to speed up the game, just as countless other things. Should we therefore assume that in canon people don't eat? (And don't mention anime canon there, because in that canon it's never the case that whenever trainers meet they are bound by law to battle. Ash has walked past countless other trainers in towns, cities, at festivals, in parks, on roads, and not challenged them.) I have yet to read a story where whenever two trainers meet a special music goes off and they are sucked into a battle. Have you?

I'm simply making a distinction between canon and game-mechanics.

Likewise, you can't say no to trainers who challenge you in the games, but that does not mean you couldn't possibly refuse to battle.

Which is exactly what I've been saying?

You seem to ignore the parts of the canon that seem inconvenient for you, and that is not a good reason to ignore them. At least try to be consistent with your arguments.

*points up* Game-mechanics and canon distinction. ^^ That and logic. Basic logic states that characters should eat. Basic logic does not state that someone who wants to journey around studying pokémon should stay in school.

That said, while you could refuse trainer battles, I don't think those wild Zubat would leave you alone even if you asked them to.

Which is why it's important to know about battling and why I expect that trainer schools in the games and anime - populated by kids younger than ten, looking at their size and whether or not they own pokémon - would teach battle-courses to their kids prior to them being able to go on a journey.

Also, not every child would be willing to run away from home just because their parents want them to go to school. I wouldn't, for one. I'd want to keep in touch with my parents, so I'd please them by going to that school like they want me to and leaving later on, when they want to let me leave or when I stop being a minor.

Again, not relevant when talking about a character that wants to leave on a journey. Also, becoming a minor doesn't change your parents anger at you leaving. Nor does it make much sense for you parents to be so vehemently against you leaving. However, if there's a good reason for it, then I'm all for it. So far, though, none of the reasons the writer has given me have made sense.

Just because the main characters in Pokémon games are all similar doesn't mean everyone in the world is the same. There are shy people, people who want to avoid conflict, people who are scared of being independent, and people who don't like battling.

Shy people wouldn't do better after classes, though. People who don't want conflict could choose not to battle. (As could those who don't like battling.) Those scared of being independence wouldn't go on a journey in the first place. Trainers can easily choose to stay at home if they want to and only train in their immediate area. However, this isn't relevant to the writer's story idea.

Just because you wouldn't want to go to school in Pokémon world doesn't mean everyone else is like you.

I'm giving clear-cut reasons why the writer's character wouldn't be in a pokémon school. I've said that there are some good reasons why someone would. This was never about my personal tastes, but what makes sense for the character and the situation the writer introduced.

*wipes brow* Pwew. XD

Last edited:

Neo Pikachu

Forever Gold
    Years
  • I'm thinking of using an OC of mine and making a Pokemon Fanfiction where she's going to the Pokemon Academy, and perhaps goes on a quest. Not so much with badges and trainers but just kind of experiences the Pokemon world. Sort of like the anime but not too much battling. What do you guys think?

Well, I've done brainstorming plenty of times and here's what I gathered from experience in relation to your idea.

First and foremost, have a general idea of what you want to do with a story, but I find its better NOT to follow a strict and standardized outline for your plot. Limiting yourself is deadly and welcomes Writer's Block with open arms. Start with your setting, your characters, and the conflict that's at hand, and some idea of what direction you want the story to go in. Heck, its okay if you don't know how it eventually ends. Often, I find its better to leave that unanswered so you can model the ending with regards to the events and situations that led up to it. Instead, focus more on the events and situations that make the conflict what it is and weave them together into an unfolding plotline. If you make a strict outline of the events to come, chances are good that the storyline will be more predictable and it won't be as much fun to write. Sure, if you have great ideas, write them down so you don't forget them, but don't give yourself a "fan fiction to-do list."

As far your Pokémon Academy idea, I'm not going to sugar-coat anything when I say I'd highly consider going with something else if I were you. First, I've seen the Pokémon Academy idea not just done before, but done many times both as fan fictions and role plays. Already, you'd be deterring some of your readers as they think "oh, its just another one of these." Second, you need to consider the reader's reaction. How interesting would reading about a girl's academic status in a Pokémon Academy really be? Sure, being able to sit in with the main character for a class or two might be interesting at first, but you're going to need to make this story become something much deeper than what meets the eye, kind of like what Harry Potter did with Hogwarts. If you still want to use the whole academy idea, then you've got to make it evolve into something that's "not just another academy" story. For example, things could start off normal, but you would need to bring out a unique and gripping conflict quickly if you want to draw in and retain your readers. Maybe this girl finds this academy has a dark and deadly secret, or its a front for some other sinister purpose. In time, she could find evidence to suggest something evil and wicked lies within the confines of the building and/or the staff that runs the place, only she's too afraid to tell anyone, or the few trustworthy friends she does find mysteriously disappear shortly after she's revealed what's going on to them. As the story progresses, she could become so deeply involved that she finds its impossible to turn back, and she either makes the push to expose and stop the crisis, or she dies (not literally, necessarily) trying.

Okay, so I know from reading your post that what I said is probably not what you had in mind. Still, I wouldn't go with "just kind of experiences the Pokémon world" as the highlight of what you want to write this for. Everyone's seen that already. If we haven't done it in the games, then we've seen it in the anime/manga. And the battles are what give Pokémon their appeal. Having a Flareon around just to light the barbeque grill or a Skitty just to look cute and cuddly don't keep readers at the edge of the seats wondering what's going to happen next. You need to find some kind of purpose for them in your story, or else they become distractions and they actually become detrimental to the storyline. If you're going to use them, give them a reason for being there. If they're only going to be around to serve as pets, you truthfully don't need them in this story.

"Going on a quest" is, hate to say it, extremely vague. Arguably, everyone "goes on a quest" simply by getting up out of bed in the morning. You need to decide what exactly she's going to do that's remarkable and something no one's ever done before. Also, what can she do and what does she become involved in that makes this story and this experience unlike anything ever felt before? But undoubtedly, the biggest question you need to ask yourself before going on is this:

What is it about this story that would attract people to read it, and how can I make that possible? How can I get them to say "ooh, this looks interesting" and "well, this is definitely something new" when they see my story?

But most of all, you need to ask yourself if this story will become so much fun to write that you'll literally be itching to write it out and weave the parts of your masterpiece together to share it with everyone here. You also need to like your idea so much that you think of it even when you're not writing it. If you become bored with your own story, trust me, your readers will suddenly share your thoughts. It will show as you tiredly try to type it out. Minimize this risk as much as possible before you start writing everything out. No one likes reading a story that they know is never going to get done.

So with this in mind, think it over some more. Don't rush into anything sooner than you should. Consider all the options, the alternatives, and what you'd really like to see this become. Only then will you be ready.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • I won't reply to your post bit by bit, Silawen, because we'd get the tread derailed if I did. >_>

All I meant to say was that there are plenty of reasons why someone would want to go to school instead of travelling around, and we don't know enough about this character to say it would be strange for her to go to school. Yes, they could just train by themselves to learn, but it's much easier to learn if you have someone who knows what they're doing to guide you. Different personalities make it entirely possible that the character would want to stay home until something big happens and makes them change their mind, or maybe just wait until they mature and feel like leaving.

In canon, only the player character and their rival are actually depicted as leaving home at the age of ten. In anime, it's generally shown that kids do it like that, so you have to choose which canon to go by. It's not like it's a rule that every ten-year-old must have a Pokémon and a trainer's license.

So, yes, I think there are plenty of good reasons to stay in school besides just aspiring to be a scientist. It's up to the writer what reason they choose and how believable they make it. You were making it seem like going to school when you don't have to is always a bad idea, when in reality, people go willingly to schools like high school and universities all the time. Maybe they don't in the canon(s), but who says you have to follow every detail of it?

All I'm saying is that staying in school after the age of ten is perfectly logical and easily explained depending on how the author chooses to do it, and there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea.

Zirkle38

Insert Epithet.
    Years
  • It's not 'too typical', it's canon. It's like saying that American kids getting their driver's license at sixteen is typical. (It's sixteen, right?) It's not, it's simply a fact. If you could get your driver's license for free at age sixteen, then it'd be weird to be twenty-three, love cars, and still not have your driver's license.

My brother is an American teen, well actually, he's an adult; he's 18, and he still doesn't have his license. He would like to drive, but it costs money, and he doesn't have all the material down. He needs to know about driving before he actually starts. I believe it would be the same with a Pokémon journey.

If someone in the Pokémon world wanted to learn about Pokémon, I think the best place to start would be at a Pokémon Academy. You might not have the experience you would from going out on an adventure, but you'd have a better grasp on the Pokémon you'd be encountering.

I'm fourteen myself and I find this completely logical. It's a personality thing, I think. I've been playing Pokémon since I was a wee tyke, and I'd venture to say I'm knowledgeable in Pokémon, but I sure don't know as much as I would if I went to a Pokémon school. I want to know as much as I possibly can about a situation before I go headfirst. Sure, it'd be quicker to not know anything about Pokémon and go on your journey ignorantly, but I think someone would be much better off attending a school made just for people who want to know all they can about Pokémon.

Years
  • An-chan

I won't reply to your post bit by bit, Silawen, because we'd get the tread derailed if I did. >_>

I wished you would, because it makes things so much easier when I know what you're replying to with what. Also, I'm quoting the things I'm replying to it and it doesn't seem to derail anything. In fact, I think it's easier to deal with when you know what someone is replying to. *shrug*

All I meant to say was that there are plenty of reasons why someone would want to go to school instead of travelling around, and we don't know enough about this character to say it would be strange for her to go to school.

Yes, there are reasons why someone would want to go to school. I've been saying that all along. The only thing is that those reasons need to make sense. When judging what the writer has said - that she wants to journey to all the known places in the world and wants to learn about, research and befriend pokémon - we can actually say that it doesn't make sense. I'm sorry, but it's not sensible for someone who who wants to do all those things to stay locked up in a school for over four years.

If the writer had other issues that made her need to stay there, then he - she? - should have mentioned them when he made his case.

Yes, they could just train by themselves to learn, but it's much easier to learn if you have someone who knows what they're doing to guide you. Different personalities make it entirely possible that the character would want to stay home until something big happens and makes them change their mind, or maybe just wait until they mature and feel like leaving.

If their big dream is journeying to all known places and befriend all kinds of pokémon, then they seem pretty set on the idea of leaving. That shows that her personality is already adventurous enough to want to do it. It's what we were told by the writer; she dreams of journeying.

Thing is, learning about pokémon and working with them is easier when you actually do it. Wanting to train your pokémon could be achieved by countless of other options - training with a trainer, or a group, or signing up at a gym - that would be much better suited than a much more general academy. However, that isn't even the reason being given here for why she is still there.

In canon, only the player character and their rival are actually depicted as leaving home at the age of ten. In anime, it's generally shown that kids do it like that, so you have to choose which canon to go by. It's not like it's a rule that every ten-year-old must have a Pokémon and a trainer's license.

Exactly. In the game you can get one whenever you want. (Though the younger trainers generally stay closer to cities and you see only kids in the schools mentioned.) So, if the writer was following game-canon, then it'd be even stranger that she doesn't simply take her pokémon on a journey.

In the anime it's ten years old. If you love pokémon - or are even just mildly interested in them - you would get that free one the professor offers. It's like my driver's license example. If you get it for free and you love cars, then it'd make sense to get it the moment you could. Not getting one, or a pokémon, would be odd, especially in a world so riddled with people owning them.

If this character didn't want a free pokémon at age ten, then it's unlikely that she'd want to study and befriend all of them at age fourteen.

So, yes, I think there are plenty of good reasons to stay in school besides just aspiring to be a scientist. It's up to the writer what reason they choose and how believable they make it.

If it's a reason that makes sense, yes. Nurses, scientists, people who can't go out and travel, or someone taking care of their ailing mother, they are all viable examples. There are plenty of reasons, but they have to make sense. The reasons given to me by the writer didn't.

You were making it seem like going to school when you don't have to is always a bad idea, when in reality, people go willingly to schools like high school and universities all the time.

*sigh* Look, I don't feel like repeating myself too much. I have already said several times that I don't have problems with characters going to school. The only criteria is that it has to make sense for them to . I have been focusing on the reasons given by the writer, not all reasons ever. You don't have to convince me that you have found a reason for your character to stay in school.

Maybe they don't in the canon(s), but who says you have to follow every detail of it?

Ehm, are you honestly going to tell me that we should ignore canon? It's a fundamental rule of fanfiction that you follow canon. If you don't like canon, then why are you writing fanfiction about this universe? Respect it, or at least label your story an AU if you're not going to follow it. I'm fine with that, but then at least own up to it.

All I'm saying is that staying in school after the age of ten is perfectly logical and easily explained depending on how the author chooses to do it, and there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea.

Yeah. *points up* I never said otherwise.

Zirkle38

My brother is an American teen, well actually, he's an adult; he's 18, and he still doesn't have his license. He would like to drive, but it costs money, and he doesn't have all the material down. He needs to know about driving before he actually starts. I believe it would be the same with a Pokémon journey.

I specifically mentioned it was free, because that is what getting a starter is. If you're following anime canon - which most people are, or the getting a starter wouldn't make sense at all - it's completely free to go and get a starter pokémon. Keeping one isn't very expensive either. It requires a bit of pokéfood - which they can last days off and don't all need, according to the anime - and that's it. Heck, weedle leave off of leaves.

Also, this involves people who have gone to school until they were ten and have been a part of the pokémon world since birth. They would know what basics things you need on a journey, just as your brother knows you need to put gas in a car and that you need to turn on the engine before it will run.

If someone in the Pokémon world wanted to learn about Pokémon, I think the best place to start would be at a Pokémon Academy. You might not have the experience you would from going out on an adventure, but you'd have a better grasp on the Pokémon you'd be encountering.

People who grow up in the pokémon world know about pokémon. Information about pokémon you encounter can be found in the pokédex and through actually encountering them. You won't learn anything in class that you can't find out through battling them or using your pokédex, while there are various things you won't learn in class that you will learn in real life. It sounds very pointless to me to learn about pokémon you might never encounter. Especially when you have a pokédex nearby.

Kids have been doing without classes for years and it doesn't seem like they had too much trouble.

I'm fourteen myself and I find this completely logical. It's a personality thing, I think. I've been playing Pokémon since I was a wee tyke, and I'd venture to say I'm knowledgeable in Pokémon, but I sure don't know as much as I would if I went to a Pokémon school. I want to know as much as I possibly can about a situation before I go headfirst. Sure, it'd be quicker to not know anything about Pokémon and go on your journey ignorantly, but I think someone would be much better off attending a school made just for people who want to know all they can about Pokémon.

And if that's all you ever wanted to do, then that's fine. If you wanted to spend years learning about pokémon facts to then fail miserable against the first eleven year old you'd encounter, that would be fine, but it sounds like a huge waste of time to me. It would take very specific people to prefer classrooms to actually working with pokémon. But, again, if that reason was well thought-out and explained, then I'm fine with it. Here, however, it was not well thought-out and explained. The character's personality says otherwise.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • For heaven's sake, Silawen, give it a rest. This kind of excessive and ceaseless argument is counter-productive, and the issue about which you're arguing is trivial at best.

Strawbearry_PANDA, my advice is to just start writing your story, and see how it goes. Most of the problems I've seen in fanfics have had to do with execution, not concept. I would ignore most of this thread and get a chapter posted, then we might be able to have some constructive discussion of your story.

Years
  • For heaven's sake, Silawen, give it a rest. This kind of excessive and ceaseless argument is counter-productive, and the issue about which you're arguing is trivial at best.

I wasn't the one challenging someone's freely given opinion on the story-idea here. They were challenging mine and I'm merely replying to them. Plus, so far it's merely a discussion that may help the writer - and others - decide on things. What's wrong with that?

I happen to enjoy discussions and if someone else doesn't, then they're free to cease said discussion and instead go elsewhere.

Also, the whole academy thing seems like an important plot point and is a basis for the character's personality traits. (Not to mention it's a reason why she's starting at fourteen and not ten.) That doesn't seem trivial at all. ;)

Years
  • I wasn't the one challenging someone's freely given opinion on the story-idea here. They were challenging mine and I'm merely replying to them. Plus, so far it's merely a discussion that may help the writer - and others - decide on things. What's wrong with that?

I happen to enjoy discussions and if someone else doesn't, then they're free to cease said discussion and instead go elsewhere.

Also, the whole academy thing seems like an important plot point and is a basis for the character's personality traits. (Not to mention it's a reason why she's starting at fourteen and not ten.) That doesn't seem trivial at all. ;)

We weren't challenging you. But it seems everyone had a similar view on something but you, so you stared nitpicking everything we were saying to proove your point. If it makes you all feel better, I'm sorry I posted so vaguely. I'm sorry if my things seem illogical. I'm sorry if what I'm trying to do barely or doesn't even come under fanfiction.

I didn't know it'd turn into this. I'm sorry. -_- *shuts up*

Years
  • We weren't challenging you. But it seems everyone had a similar view on something but you, so you stared nitpicking everything we were saying to proove your point.

I didn't necessarily mean challenging in a bad way. I don't mind people questioning my arguments. (Though I have to admit that it helps if people actually read them before replying. XD) Also, I wasn't trying to nitpick, or whatever, I was simply replying to those who replied to me. Like I said, I enjoy discussions.

If it makes you all feel better, I'm sorry I posted so vaguely. I'm sorry if my things seem illogical. I'm sorry if what I'm trying to do barely or doesn't even come under fanfiction.

I didn't know it'd turn into this. I'm sorry. -_- *shuts up*

Well, it's a shame you felt uncomfortable with this. I know I was just trying to help you mould your idea into something logical and fun. (I really liked the research idea, for one. ^^) Just think things through and try to set up some sort of plot and storyline. It doesn't have to be fancy, just figure out - in broad lines - what it's going to be about, what the key happenings are, and how it ends.

Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions!

Back