• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Breakin' Through - Offensive OU?

Silent Storm

Achieving Perfection
    Years

OK, it's time for me to post yet another RMT. From the last two RMTS I posted, you think of me as an bulky offensive player using slow leads like Swampert and Heatran (on smogon but I left that site for a better site), this my most used playing style as I prefer fast hard hitting Pokemon or set up and sweep Pokemon like Salamence and Gyarados.

At first glance this is what you would call a standard, boring unoriginal team, though it is standard, it works and that is good enough for me.

The basic strategy for this is rather simple and straight forward, I use my Lead Metagross to set up Stealth Rocks and take from here, the most common thing would be for me to take out their lead or switch into something like Gyarados, set up and attempt to sweep, unleashing one devastating attack after another, I have been able to break the game early 90% of the time using this method and I love it.

As you can see, this is rather a standard line up would you would typically see on an offensive team, a quick glance would tell you I lack CBzor, which I generally don't want to add now, my main reason being that I don't like having two scarf users and adding the CBzor would make my team look like somebody else's team which would lead people to believe that I copied this from them, which I don't want people thinking, meh though, believe what you want, as I don't care as this team is mostly a compilation of my favorites.

(At the time of posting this I had Lucario over Scizor, but Scizor still isn't a CBzor).

Enough talk now to get to the point.
    [ ヒードラン @ Shuca Berry ]
    Ability: FLASH FIRE
    EVs: 4 Atk | 252 SAtk | 252 Spe
    Nature: Naive
    • Earth Power
    • Stealth Rock
    • Fire Blast
    • Explosion
    Ok guys, this is where things get weird and tricky, the first thing you must be wondering is why am I using

Heatran as a Lead, not only is he slow but he is weak to common attack types like Fighting and Earthquake, rather simple really, as this is an offensive team, I felt it would be best I used Heatran as a lead without Scarf, why you ask? Well lets put it like this:

• The common leads in OU are Bronzong, Azelf and Metagross, surprisingly enough, this Lead is not threatened by any of them, which is quite good considering the only attack that can harm him here is Earthquake which is taken care of by Shuca Berry, so I am setting up Stealth Rock without fear here.
    Next, Heatran being the best that he is provides my team with useful resists that help out during the match if I want to keep Heatran after set up, lets consider the following things.
    • Using frail leads imo is not a good idea, if their sole purpose is to set up Stealth Rock and then explode then there really isn't much point as you are basically down 1 Pokemon if the opponent switches into a Ghost and how are you going to feel if none of his team players mind Stealth Rock? Heatran like Metagross is a great lead because they are not frail, a sturdy lead is a powerful one.[
    • Heatran, thanks to Flash Fire takes care of members weak to fire moves like Scizor, so already I have a Pokemon that supports one vital member on the team.
    Next......
    [ ギャラドス @ Life Orb ]
    Ability: INTIMIDATE
    EVs: 74 HP | 252 Atk | 184 Spe
    Nature: Adamant
    • Dragon Dance
    • Earthquake
    • Stone Edge
    • Waterfall
    This is the member I have had the most trouble with as of late, deciding what move set I can give him has been a pain if you ask me. I started off with Bounce over Earthquake but after a while I came to the conclusion that Bounce was not really for this set at all, my reasoning for this was that it gave Steel types like Metagross and Magnezone a free switch in which went against the point of this team, to minimize the possibility of set up bait.

For the move set I went with Earthquake/Stone Edge/Waterfall/Dragon Dance, Earthquake was here to handle the likes of Meta and Magnezone, Waterfall for powerful STAB and Stone Edge to hit flying types harder, which also deals with the likes of Dragonite and Salamence, this is one of my most powerful sweepers which is usually the next player out when Heatran has had his run.
    [ ラティアス @ Life Orb ]
    Ability: LEVITATE
    EVs: 4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
    Nature: Timid
    • Surf
    • Recover
    • Draco Meteor
    • Refresh

I have never used Latias like this before, the last one I used was some Flame Orb set that was only able to pass burn on one players Pokemon, though it was largely because of my inexperience, I didn't like the whole concept anyway so now I am trying something new.

Latias is a psychic dragon that provides me some nice resists coupled with decent offense, Latias is now my Status absorber as Status really hurts this team, in the future I might consider adding Psycho Swift so I can ruin my opponent even more but for now, Refresh is working well for me and I don't feel like changing the set up for this set.
    [ ハッサム @ Choice Band ]
    Ability: TECHNICIAN
    EVs: 252 Atk | 246 HP | 12 Spe
    • Pursuit
    • Bullet Punch
    • Superpower
    • U-Turn
    OK, it has finally happened, I decided to go and add CBzor to this offensive team.

Scizor gives this team much needed Priority to this which is helpful when Latias/Weavile and Mamoswine are lurking around, though I have be careful of Mamo's monstrous Earthquake, the rest of the move set is obvious, Superpower for strong offense, U-turn for scouting and Bullet Punch for powerful STAB and with the EVs, Scizors survivability is increased.
    [ アグノム @ Life Orb ]
    EVs: 16 HP | 20 Atk| 252 SpA | 220 Spe
    Nature: Timid
    • Psychic
    • Thunderbolt
    • Explosion
    • Hidden Power [Ground]
    After much consideration, Azelf > Gengar.

I originally had Scarfgar here but over time, he was not performing as well as he could on my team so I replaced him with the standard Azelf set with HP Ground over fighting.

HP Ground > Fighting mainly cause it scores key kos against the likes of Heatran which walls this set completely, further more, Azelf is similar t Deoxys-E only that he has more attacking power in exchange for speed, which is still impressive, this scores two KOs thanks to Explosion.
    [ ボーマンダー @ Life Orb ]
    EVs: 16 Atk | 240 SpA | 252 Spe
    Nature: Naive
    • Draco Meteor
    • Brick Break
    • Outrage
    • Fire Blast
    This has to be one of the most controversial team member on my team currently, I would just to share my experience with him with you guys.

In around October I think, RaikouLover and some guy (Iceyman or something like that) posted a Salamence set that utilized the infamous OutrageMeteorMence combo with Flamethrower/Fire Blast and Earthquake, now this combo caught my eye immediately as the Dragon + Fire + Ground combo gave Salamence unparalleled coverage if you don't know, this set was declared the new "MixMence". Anyways moving on, I decided to go on Shoddy and try this new baby out and I was thoroughly not impressed with his performance, as he never got me a single KO AT ALL.

Now after this I ditched him in favor of MixNite, that was able to sweep unsuspecting teams on the Suspect and Standard ladder, then people started catching on and he never swept as well as he could have.

Few weeks later, I decided to try a new set while adding more speed to Salamence, less attack and more special attack and we have what we see here as one the main killers of the show, thanks to the speed boost, Salamence is not only able to beat unboosted Mences, but he is also able to out speed most threats in the Metagame and score 2HKOs.

He serves as my Wall and Stall breaker, though not ass good as Nite imo, he has speed, which this teams welcomes, moving on to the threat list

Offensive Threat List​

Aerodactyl: Scizor kills him with Bullet Punch.
    ---
    Alakazam: Scizor and Heatran does well if they don't come in on focus blast.
    ---
    Azelf: Same boat as Aerodactyl, only that he is more common.
    ---
    Breloom: Hard guy to beat but I usually let a weak member get spored and then switch to Gyarados on the Focus Punch.
    ---
    Dragonite: Heatran and Azelf can explode on mix sets and Scizor does well on the majority sets he uses andGyarados can come in and intimidate him.
    ---
    Dugtrio: After he has taken down a weak member Scizor can come in and deal with him thanks to Bullet Punch.
    ---
    Electivire: Hmm, he is also a rare Pokemon to see nowadays, at worst he can switch in on Latias's or Azelf's Thunderbolt and get a speed boost but I not to worried about that. I would normally scout if it's mixed or special. If it's special, Latias handles it. If he's physical I lure in an predicable Ice punch and Scizor handles the rest.
    ---
    Empoloen: First priority is to not this set up, if it does get to set up, Latias can do well as most carry Grass Knot > Ice Beam
    ---
    Flygon: He is kinda hard to beat but Heatran does ok against U-turn, Stone Edge and Outrage. Gyarados does well against the above with except Stone Edge.
    ---
    Gengar: Usually with Choice Scarf, so prediction is key here. If it' does not have Scarf, I will lure out Shadow Ball / HP Ice and Bullet Punch/Pursuit it. Scizor works well in this area. and non scarfed versions are dealt with by Azelf.
    ---
    Gyarados: Problem Pokemon here, I need to aswitch around Intimidates and maybe score a lucky Stone Edge with my own Gyarados.
    ---
    Heatran: Latias and Gyarados are the stars here.
    ---
    Hercross: Gyarados and Salamence do well against normal Megahorn and Close Combat attacks, and Heatran can come in on a Stone Edge.
    ---
    Infernape: He is not a problem, Latias handles him.
    ---
    Jirachi: Scarfed versions are normally the leads, in this case, Heatran can deal with him to an extent. The only worry here is flinch hax.
    ---
    Jolteon: Latias does well due to her high special defense.
    ---
    Kingdra: Semi problem but I normally switch Gyarados in for Intimidate as it Dragon Dances. I Stone Edge as he tries to set up again and then leave Scizor to handle the rest.
    ---
    Latias: The steel members of this team, being Scizor (and Heatran to an extent).
    ---
    Lucario: Gyarados will stop it. Salamence will also deal with him but is scared of Extremespeed/Bullet Punch.
    Machamp: Azelf outspeeds and deals with him as does Salamence. Dynamic Punch confusion is the worst thing. I can usually switch Gyarados into a DP, then Metagross into a Stone Edge.
    ---
    Magnezone: Latias thanks to surf, Heatran also does ok..
    ---
    Mamoswine: Scizor can come in on the Ice Shard and deal with him with Bullet Punch but needs to watch out for Earthquake.
    ---
    Metagross: Scizor can come in on the Meteor Mash/Bullet Punch, take little damage from the earthquake and then U-turn if I have it to Salamence who can win from there.
    ---
    Porygon-Z:Scizor and Latias handle him.
    ---
    Rhyperior: Never let it set up. Gyarados outspeeds and kills offensive versions with STAB Waterfall. Scizor 2HKOs with Bullet Punch. Salamence can use Draco Meteor, which is a possible kill without SS.
    ---
    Salamence: Scizor can kill it at about 60%. Gyarados does well against Earthquake and Flamethrower / Fire Blast can come in and intimidate the DD version, and then switch to my steel on the outrage, semi problem though.
    ---
    Scizor: Gyarados and Salamence can do good if their HP is high.
    ---
    Starmie: Latias does well against the rapid spinner.
    ---
    Togekiss: Metagross does well with a resistance to air slash and can Meteor Mash it. Gyarados OHKOs with Stone Edge.
    ---
    Tyranitar: Scizor OHKOs with Bullet Punch. Gyarados does well against Aqua Tail / Earthquake, Azelf can score some hits with explosion and HP Ground and Heatran explodes.
    ---
    Weavile: Gyarados and Scizor ruin him.
    ---
    Yanmega: If it does not have Hypnosis Scizor ruins him. If it does have Hypnosis I still have a chance of win. If I do get hypnotized, Gyarados does good against Bug Buzz and Air Slash.

Defensive Threat List:

Blissey: Alot of things on my team has ways of beating it.
    ---
    Bronzong: Scizor comes in, U-turns into Salamence who then proceeds to killing him with Fire Blast.
    ---
    Celebi: Scizor unless it has HP fire. Salamence burns him up with Fire Blast and Heatran can handle him to an extent.
    ---
    Cresselia: Scizor does a lot of damage with U-turn. If it comes on Salamence, Draco Meteor + Outrage will wear it down enough for one of my other members to finish it off.
    ---
    Donphan: Gyarados. Ice Shard doesn't kill Salamence and Intimidate and I can kill with Draco Meteor.
    ---
    Foretress: Salamence and Latias. It can only beat Gyarados if it explodes.
    ---
    Gliscor: Salamence with Draco Meteor.
    ---
    Hippowdon: Explode with Metagross which has the chance to death. If it doesn't KO, one of my other pokes finishes it off.
    ---
    Skarmory: Salamence and Latias.
    ---
    Snorlax: Scizor's CB superpower. Heatran explodes before it gets too many curses.
    ---
    Suicune
    : Heatran/Azelf can KO with explosion. If it comes in on Salamence, Draco Meteor plus Outrage will weaken it.
    ---
    Swampert: Usually comes in on Salamence. Draco Meteor should take it out.
    ---
    Tentacruel: Gyarados OHKOs with Earthquake.
    ---
    Vaporeon: Heatran can OHKO with Explosion. If it has Ice Beam, Gyarados beats it. If it has Hp electric, Salamence beats it.
    ---
    Zapdos: Salamence KOs with Draco Meteor after SR. Gyarados beats it after a DD.

Last edited:

The Hero Without a Name

Da bee dee da ba mouse...
    Years

[ルカリオ @ Life Orb]
    Ability: INNER FOCUS
    EVs: 252 Atk | 4 Def | 252 Spe
    - Swords Dance
    - Crunch/Bullet Punch
    - Extremespeed
    - Close Combat

My favorite fighting Pokemon, also one of the best imo, I like hardhitters that give stall a hard time, so he has earned a spot on my team.

Meh beginning but can you blame me =p, there is not much to Lucario other than set up and sweep late game, it works so yeah.

I am considering Bullet Punch over Crunch, but I like hitting Dusknoir, but double priority is nice and welcome, help me decide.

Dusknoir is a RARE sight nowadays. No need sacrificing coverage on much more common, dangerous threats (Gyarados and Salamence) just for something that people figured out wasn't really that good at all (and discontinued using).

Either use Stone Edge to deal with Gyarados or Ice Punch (and a Jolly nature) to deal with Salamence.

Silent Storm

Achieving Perfection
    Years
    Hmm, well, I could do with the extra speed and Ice Punch, but I am leaning more towards Stone Edge as that imo appeals more to me.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
    wait, why does gyara have bounce? lol someone please explain this to me. poliwrath didn't suddenly make its way into ou did it?

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
    I agree with Samson here. I don't see what Bounce is hitting that GYara would normally KO. Plus, the time it takes to attack throws off its appeal for me.

EDIT:

I noticed a large Infernape weak. Several variants of Infernape can all come in and destroy you. The ones I'm looking at most are Scarfape, NP Ape, and the "new" Mixape.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    I agree with Samson here. I don't see what Bounce is hitting that GYara would normally KO. Plus, the time it takes to attack throws off its appeal for me.

EDIT:

I noticed a large Infernape weak. Several variants of Infernape can all come in and destroy you. The ones I'm looking at most are Scarfape, NP Ape, and the "new" Mixape.

Infernape is not a problem.

Correct, Latias pretty much tanks over all ape sets (apart from those wierd CB U-Turn ones), he also has Gengar for revenge and Extremespeed Lucario for revenge (If its ~60) and mence and Gyara as checks. If he gave Latias a better EV spread (max speed and sp.att to outspeed it @Timid) that is and got rid of the novelty Psycho shift for T-Bolt, Calm Mind, or even Wish. Wish would actually go one hell of a long way here and helps Mence and Dos with the SR problem and helps your team switch in more.

The biggest weakness here is indeed Gyarados. Latias is not a good check or counter due to Stone Edge doing a hell of a lot from the LO set and Ice Fang OHKOing.

DD Salamence is also a huge problem.

There are a few options you could use :-

1. Make your meta this.

Metagross@Leftovers
    252 HP / 244 DEF / 12 SPEED
    Impish Nature
    - Meteor Mash
    - Stealth Rock
    - Ice Punch
    - Earthquake / Explosion

Meet tank gross, takes hits better than the standard skarmory iirc. This ev spread helps with your salamence weak and survives a +1 DD LO Earthquake even with Stealth Rock up 100% of the time.

2. You could use Scarf Gar for the Gyarados problem and it would let you revenge kill things easier. Ive been using a Will-o-wisp/Shadow Ball/Focus Blast/T-Bolt scarf gar lately and its actually pretty good. I got sick and tired of Tar (Pursuit), Scizor(Pursuit), Zong, Meta (Pursuit), Jirachi, even damn Swampert and junk like CB Lax (Pursuit again) switching in for free. Will-o-wisp poops on them all and eases up on prediction. ^.^

Just some stuff to consider here.

Blarg

EDIT :

LOL, you edited the first post. ~_~

Last edited:

Silent Storm

Achieving Perfection
    Years
    Interesting, just as you posted, I made some changes to my team. >.<

I added Scizor due to preference, I didn't really like Lucario's frail body, so I am trying out SD Scizor for now, but I might change it to CBZor.

I had moderate success with the lead mamo, but now I am considering going back to Metagross cause I like him more so I might try your spread.

For Latias, I might as well get rid of PS for Thunderbolt and keep modest.

For Salamence, if I decide to go with CBzor, I will be able to kill at 60% health, then when if I scrap Mamo, then Metagross will be able to soak up Outrages, then I can now combo Gyarados with my steel types which will help the DD sets.

Edit - lol sorry about that, I am going back to my line up (with Scizor over Lucario)

Edit 2 - Ok I am done.

Edit 3 - Added a long threat list x_x.

Last edited:

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    Lefties over Ooca Berry though it isn't important.

Earthquake over Bounce, Bounce is a meh move and you don't really need while Earthquake lets you pound Electric types and Earthquake can hit Steel-types like Metagross, Jirachi and Magnezone.

I'd go Superpower over Brick Break because of that extra 45 base power which'll net you more kills then Brick Break. For example an unboosted LO Brick Break will never OHKO the standard 4HP/252 Def Blissey while Superpower can.

Personally I'd run HP Ice on Gengar to take out any Dragonite/Salamence with one DD.

Silent Storm

Achieving Perfection
    Years
    Hmm (I need to stop doing that).

I have decided that I will go with CBszor and scrap maybe Gengar for Azelf, then Imy team will look exactly like some guys on Smogon, so really my only option here would be to scarp Gengar, add Choice Scarf Zapdos and keep CBzor, but then I will have two choice users which could be used as set up bait.

So now my option is to switch my lead to a Heatran lead, imo there is no bad points other than Metagross is used to handle most threats on my team, bah, I will proably add Heatran here cause imo, I really need to sort out this threat list so more than one Pokemon can handle offensive threats.

Then after that I am going to put Refresh over Psycho Swift (Thunderbolt) (or shift) on Latias as having a status absorberr will be nice, and I like Refresh > PS.

What I am probably going to do is add Earthquake/Ice Fang on Gyarados, add Life Orb and scrap Bounce to fit my playstyle more, then I will add Azelf over Gengar so I lighten up on this prediction heavy (imo) team, Azelf will mostly be used as a secret weapon Pokemon, utspeeding some threats and taking them out with Explosion + a move combo which will result in at aleast 2 kills.

After that I am considering adding more attack evs in Salamence while giving him Brick Break over Earthquake, my reasoning for this is that I will add Superpower on Scizor, so I will use Salamence as my screen breaker, imo I don't like Levitators (excluding Ghosts) getting a free switch in on Salamence, so I figured why not do a bit of dmagae before I switch out, in addition I prefer being able to hit Blissy for SE damage rather than relying on Brick Break.

But then you will ask me why not just get rid of Outrage for Breick Break? Well you see I like having the OutrageMeteor combo on Salamence so meh.

I have a lot of work to do.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
    i have a question regarding the Mamoswine set you are/were considering. IT HAS EXPLOSION??? O_O

Back