• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Breaking the 999 Map Limit ?

Zeak6464

Zeak #3205 - Discord
    Years
    Is there a way to implement the Disc-Changer "2008" to Essentials? due to all of the games coming out....
    Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh/Orre
    Plus do to all of the Building in each game , it makes it way over 1000+ Maps
    (Only reason I know is due to I have all maps in .tmx format)

With my new script coming out soon , I would like to implement all the maps to the game.
    (.tmx to .rxdata)

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Tbh, I wouldn't make 1 game with that size... But make 7 different games, Or make an extension to Desbrina's Yellow remake... If she will allow... Something of that size will be ridiculous, especially if you're making remakes, or even just the maps, when you can make them all in separate extensions... Almost no game should ever reach 999 maps, I think my game is less than 400 and it's completed, that includes houses (upstairs and downstairs), caves, routes, areas, cities, towns etc.

If you make different extensions it's 100x easier to implement. Even I have considered doing extensions. But will never make one huge game.

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    It is possible, i remember a something like disc changer or something like that, i tested it with Essentials but it was 5years ago? So you can look for that.

Zeak6464

Zeak #3205 - Discord
    Years
    Tbh, I wouldn't make 1 game with that size... But make 7 different games, Or make an extension to Desbrina's Yellow remake... If she will allow... Something of that size will be ridiculous, especially if you're making remakes, or even just the maps, when you can make them all in separate extensions... Almost no game should ever reach 999 maps, I think my game is less than 400 and it's completed, that includes houses (upstairs and downstairs), caves, routes, areas, cities, towns etc.

If you make different extensions it's 100x easier to implement. Even I have considered doing extensions. But will never make one huge game.

That doesn't even help , what so ever. Thanks but no thanks, I don't need opinions.
    Right now with Kanto/Johto into my game I already have 400maps
    See in RM2X it used to be 9999max on maps but they changed it to 999 when RMXP came out. And why would I make extensions to someone else game , when in-fact my game is already in top 200 Games on Indie .... for another this will also be turned into an mmo once i get the coding done.

Zeak6464

Zeak #3205 - Discord
    Years
    It is possible, i remember a something like disc changer or something like that, i tested it with Essentials but it was 5years ago? So you can look for that.

Okay so Disc-changer can work ? I just need to know how to Implement it into the game..
    Thanks so Much !

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    That is absolutely not the only issue you will have.

I considered adding the disc changer to Essentials a while back, but the more I looked into it, the more complex and convoluted it became to keep everything working properly. I decided it simply wasn't worth it, especially when no self-respecting game should have that many maps anyway, and neither should yours. Make multiple games for all your regions instead.

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    That is absolutely not the only issue you will have.

I considered adding the disc changer to Essentials a while back, but the more I looked into it, the more complex and convoluted it became to keep everything working properly. I decided it simply wasn't worth it, especially when no self-respecting game should have that many maps anyway, and neither should yours. Make multiple games for all your regions instead.

Naughty Maruno... This member doesn't want opinions...
    Zeak, I've never seen a member here more rude than you... I told you exactly what Maruno has told you and what every game developer will --->always<--- tell you... Stop acting like a spoilt little kid who just got robbed by the tooth-fairy.

If you're turning your game in to an MMO, which I've had experience in as well, it's still not worth making a game that big... You'd be better off making each region in a different game or have your game have UP TO, however many regions.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2024
    See in RM2X it used to be 9999max.
    5000 actually.

And I disagree with Nickalooose and Maruno. A long and interesting game is possible. If no one was made a good one using this idea yet doesn't mean that this is impossible. Making RPG Maker XP limited in 999 maps is one of the Enterbrain worst errors.

For Essentials working correctly with this system you need to edit too many things, like map metadata, nests, have a huge problem with connections, etc. And this make editing the maps using the RPG Maker horrible since this program can't see all the maps at the same time.

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    I actually just found a game where I have 772 maps... Still nowhere near 999, but let me explain what the game has with these 772 maps.

Kanto - All Fully complete
    Orange Islands - All Fully complete
    Johto - All Fully complete
    Hoenn - Towns/Cities/Caves All Fully complete
    Sinnoh - First 6 Towns/Cities These Are Fully complete
    Orre - 2 maps
    Fiore - 2 maps
    Almia - 2 maps
    Sevii Islands - All Fully complete
    Orange Islands (older version before I updated to HGSS tiles) - All Fully complete
    Cinnabar Island (older version before I had a specific storyline for it) - 9 maps
    Misc. - 17 maps
    Random waste of space - 15 maps

I can honestly tell anyone and everyone, if you have to break the limit of maps, you mustn't be an efficient mapper... I urge you to create maps smartly.

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2022
    Lucky I saw this, I don't visit here that often any more but randomly decided to today.

I don't really know how hard it is, but I remember I once asked this very question and essentially got the same replies a number of years ago. I really wish that there was something like this for essentials, I stopped my project after having Kanto, Johto and Hoenn for this reason. You're right, it's too big. You can compromise and have multiple inner maps in the same place to get around this, but it just becomes too complicated after a while. Yes, you could argue that a game is "too big" or that it's "bad game design" to have more than 999 maps. However, I think it really depends on the style of game that you want, if Pokémon Hall of Fame were still around then one day that would have hit the limit. Beyond that, you might want an MMO style world, you can't tell me that if you were to make a 16Bit Skyrim that it would easily fit into 999 maps. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Edit: Nickalooose, what game is that?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    And I disagree with Nickalooose and Maruno. A long and interesting game is possible. If no one was made a good one using this idea yet doesn't mean that this is impossible. Making RPG Maker XP limited in 999 maps is one of the Enterbrain worst errors.

For Essentials working correctly with this system you need to edit too many things, like map metadata, nests, have a huge problem with connections, etc. And this make editing the maps using the RPG Maker horrible since this program can't see all the maps at the same time.
    I didn't say it wasn't possible to make a "long and interesting game" with over 999 maps. I said it wasn't worth it. This is a Pokémon game, and Pokémon games are balanced to take place over way fewer than 999 maps, so I can't see any way to make a good Pokémon game that spans so many maps.

I also said it wasn't worth it for the reasons you then described, namely that it'd be a huge effort to make it work.

Zeak6464

Zeak #3205 - Discord
    Years
    It might be a huge effort to make , but you know what it's a hobby I love to do to relax on a daily bases. I will make these scripts come true , and i'll release it to the public so everyone can have a game were they don't have to worry about limitations of stuff.

I actually just found a game where I have 772 maps... Still nowhere near 999, but let me explain what the game has with these 772 maps.

Kanto - All Fully complete
    Orange Islands - All Fully complete
    Johto - All Fully complete
    Hoenn - Towns/Cities/Caves All Fully complete
    Sinnoh - First 6 Towns/Cities These Are Fully complete
    Orre - 2 maps
    Fiore - 2 maps
    Almia - 2 maps
    Sevii Islands - All Fully complete
    Orange Islands (older version before I updated to HGSS tiles) - All Fully complete
    Cinnabar Island (older version before I had a specific storyline for it) - 9 maps
    Misc. - 17 maps
    Random waste of space - 15 maps

I can honestly tell anyone and everyone, if you have to break the limit of maps, you mustn't be an efficient mapper... I urge you to create maps smartly.

So why not release the maps ? instead of boasting about it ...

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Zeak you're a funny member lol.
    I don't need to release them because after what took me years to make, Curt released a pack with Kanto, Johto and Sinnoh I think... That's 3 done for you... The others are personally made in a form of how I see or have seen them, from the anime... Or, dependent on a storyline of mine... They wouldn't suit your game in that sense and they won't be the same style of yours, I have a particular style that I like.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2024
    I didn't say it wasn't possible to make a "long and interesting game" with over 999 maps. I said it wasn't worth it.
    I disagree with the phrase: "no self-respecting game should have that many maps anyway, and neither should yours".

This is a Pokémon game, and Pokémon games are balanced to take place over way fewer than 999 maps, so I can't see any way to make a good Pokémon game that spans so many maps.

We can transcend it! With some tweaking we can adapt the system for a longer play. For example, one of my favorite ideas was a game with Mega Evolution as normal evolution and a EXP formula adjust.

And, Essentials is a open-sorce kit! We can do Digimon, Touhoumon, Somemon games.

Years
    I don't know the exact location of each reference but can't you just change this:

Code:
    @map=load_data(sprintf("Data/Map%03d.%s", map_id,$RPGVX ? "rvdata" : "rxdata"))

to this:

Code:
    @map=load_data(sprintf("Data/Map%04d.%s", map_id,$RPGVX ? "rvdata" : "rxdata"))

Sure, you can't open them in RMXP anymore (I think) and you need to rename them from "001" to "0001" and so on, but, it gives you a new limit of 9999 maps in total. (Also, I'm not exactly sure if this will work, but it's worth a try)

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    That's not what %03d does. It makes sure there's a minimum of 3 characters in the number, not forces there to be exactly 3 characters in it.

3 becomes 003
    25 becomes 025
    420 becomes 420
    1138 becomes 1138

You should not change this, as it does nothing except prevent you from opening the maps in RMXP.

Zeak6464

Zeak #3205 - Discord
    Years
    it's okay we broke the map limit now .
    I'll post it when we get everything ready.

So be on the look out for ".tmx to .rxdata" & "Break the 999 Maps"
    scripts to come.

Back