• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Breeding: How long before you just give up?

RodeoJones

True Blue.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    I've been biking up and down route 34 trying to hatch a female riolu for about 4 hours.

I wanna hear your stories of the hours spent breeding that you wish you could add back to your life.

Success stories welcome too! Im sure I'll be less bitter when I see that female sign...

kaiser32

Rhymin' and Stealin' ~
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2013
    I've been trying to get a shiny magickarp (DO NOT ASK!) and so far only ****** ones. but I did hatch one with a good ivs

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I spent about an hour trying to hatch a munchlax a few months ago..only to remember that I forgot to give the Snorlax the full incense I had >_<.

Another time I was trying to hatch a shiny pokemon from my shiny Starmie..and lets just say it took too long and I never got it in the end.

Sorry for your news, your female should come sooner or later!

Years
    Why is it taking so long? I don't remember Breeding taking this long in previous games. I haven't tried breeding in my SS yet, but maybe I should... I remember in LG that I could hatch a Charmander by biking for like... ten minutes at most. I had a circuit I would do, which included going down that biker hill.

kaiser32

Rhymin' and Stealin' ~
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2013
    Why is it taking so long? I don't remember Breeding taking this long in previous games. I haven't tried breeding in my SS yet, but maybe I should... I remember in LG that I could hatch a Charmander by biking for like... ten minutes at most. I had a circuit I would do, which included going down that biker hill.

I wonder if the steps increased or something. Because I HATE breeding because of that one reason.

Years
    That would be the only thing that would make sense to me. I really am not joking when I say that it did not take me long to hatch Charmanders/Squirtles/etc. in LG. And actually I hatched Togepi in SS before I even go to Azalea Town. I did a lot of training before even going into the cave. I'm a nut when it comes to training before I get to certain areas. XD

RodeoJones

True Blue.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    I hatched a female riolu finally but it was the wrong nature...AHHHH!

It'll probably be faster just to keep on trying for the right-natured one rather than evolving the one I got into lucario so I can put it with a raticate then pray for a hasty riolu. Breeding takes some time and dedication let me tell ya...

kaiser32

Rhymin' and Stealin' ~
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2013
    Yeah I think I'll use Pearl as my "breeding cage" for now. Until Bulbapedia or something does a study. rofl. I'm trying to be a top of the line breeder. Hahaha

Elise

ニャーニャー
    Years
    I always do my breeding on Pearl... I haven't even tried it on SS yet lol.

I really haven't had many success stories so far, since I've just started breeding, but I find something kinda hypnotic and fun about biking for hours on end.. Is that just me? And even though I'm still learning all the ropes, it's like I'm a proud parent every time one o' those cute lil guys pop out of their eggs! (:

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I remember trying to hatch pokemon in pearl! I just got a slugma from my emerald version using pal park with the ability flame body and it cut the time it took to hatch my eggs, I would just get on a bike and travel around sinnoh endlessly just for the fun of it! Oh and I used to run around in amity square so not only would I just get a newly hatched pokemon but 10000x items (useless accsessories) my pokemon picked up while running XD

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2021
    I did a charmander in 15 mins in heart gold :s Why is it taking you 3 hours? Are you doing 5 steps every 10 mins or something?

LeeBee

♔✩♔
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2010
    I usually do all of my breeding in Pearl, as it's where I keep all my pokemon. However, the one time I did breed in SS it seemed a little quicker, perhaps because it was biking around Goldenrod instead of the same old up/down path I usually follow in Pearl!^Q^)/
    Magby really helps with 'flame body', it honestly only take a few minutes to hatch an egg, at most, when you have him in your party.

redsaber5859

Banned
    Years
    lol, i just breed and deal with the nature, cycling road in thisgame is small... so i just have a race with myself to go from safari zone to bills house, about 2 regions long with 5 eggs and my lv. 100 shiny toxicroak

MrsNorrington

Lady Loki
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Fl
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    I took a few days to breed 8 female eevees, they kept hatching as males. It took forever to do, but I didn't feel like giving up.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    I got a Japanese Ditto and decided to try to Masuda a shiny Skarmory...

I hatched about 100 of them before getting frustrated and stopping. I'll continue one day when I literally have nothing to do but ride up and down in a straight line.

Eeohnex

Illuminate
    Years
    Put a Magmar in your team with the ability "Flame Body". It cuts the hatching time in half.
    This is what I always do when it comes on hatching a Pokémon. I'm surprised your Riolu hasn't hatched yet, it usually takes me around 10-20 minutes to hatch a Riolu.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    Question, why does the gender matter (unless it's a Combee)?

Back