• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Breeding: How long before you just give up?

Elise

ニャーニャー
    Years
    Great balls of fire! I never knew that Magmar/Magby's "flame body" did that? I'm never going to try to hatch my pokies again without it! (:

LeeBee

♔✩♔
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2010
    Question, why does the gender matter (unless it's a Combee)?

If other people are like me, it simply matters for the aesthetics of the Gender symbol. I much rather my pokemon to be female if the character I'm playing is female, just because the vast majority of the time in game female trainers have female pokemon, and males have male pokemon.

Technically, gender only matters if you are wanting to breed specific natures (female) or egg moves (male) onto your pokemon, but for me it has more to do with those little symbols than anything else...

LeeBee

♔✩♔
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2010
    Yes, that's why I love my Magmar. Also, is it more likely to hatch a shiny Pokemon or something? I don't understand why people breed for shinies...

I think that might just be a rumour, or if it is true it can only be a very small percentage increase (・_・、)
    I've been using my Magmar for years to aid in hatching, and I've never hatched a shiny.
    I guess people breed for them simply so they can say "..ooh, I have a shiny pokemon!" I must admit, there are a few pokemon that I would love in shiny (Umbreon!。・ω・。), but I don't think I'd ever have the patience/determination to actually breed for one.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    This is definitely something I can relate to and is one of the reasons why I've been so withdrawn from breeding Pokémon lately. I used to spend hours amongst hours trying to hatch for the right nature depending on what Pokémon it was, and even then, if it had the right nature I needed to make sure it had decent IVs for when I EV train it. So, if I could, I would definitely take back those hours spent on breeding for something more time worthy. I guess it's just all part of the fun in the game though.

Seeing as this thread related to more than just HeartGold and SoulSilver, I'll go ahead and move this to General Pokémon Gaming.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    Also, is it more likely to hatch a shiny Pokemon or something? I don't understand why people breed for shinies...
    I think that might just be a rumour, or if it is true it can only be a very small percentage increase (・_・、)
    I specifically mentioned the Masuda Method, which is one way to try and obtain a shiny Pokémon. It doesn't boost the chances to, say, 1/10, but making it four times more likely to hatch a shiny Pokémon is better than nothing.
    A lot of people prefer to breed shinies for several reasons, the most obvious being that you can control its IVs and natures, rather than relying on catching something in the wild.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2010
    Ive biked For 4 Hours today trying too hatch a female squirtle for my friend.He always hates breeding cuz of the time so I do it for him.

RodeoJones

True Blue.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    I was breeding so I could get crunch as an egg move. That's why I wanted the female riolu, which I finally got. All that cycling paid off!

level.

Forgot about user titles
    Years
    I often hatch about 10 eggs a day because I want a pokemon with good IVs and not to mention the right nature and ability. HGSS is great for that sort of stuff mainly because of the power items and Everstone working on both males and females.
    I don't care about shinies though.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2010
    I"m trying to catch a ditto, becuase I just got the evee. I saved and then talked to bill, and hopefully the evee would be female. But no. So iI did that for 2 hrs. And i cant catch a ditto, since they never show up. But whatever.

Years
    I've been trying to breed for a female Eevee (that or catch one in the wild) so I can hopefully turn it into a Glaceon and call it a day. I want do to the same with Vaporeon, but I'm kinda weird like that.

Haven't had luck with that yet, keep getting male Eevees.. haven't really been working on it much. Friendly evolutions are just as frustrating. FINALLY got Jigglypuff out of the way!

Oh yeah.. get a Magcargo. I called mine "Hatcher" .. lol makes things so much easier

Princess Pichu

Art is a flash of beauty~
    Years
    I usually breed batches of pokemon for about 3 days before I go, "Oh screw it, I'll just go with whatever nature. D:"

One time I got really lucky with Eevee and got a female with the right nature right away. Lol

chickenofunity

Confused Chicken
    Years
    I get bored quite quickly, but it took ages to get the Feebas I wanted, cus I wanted a girl as well as one who liked the right type of Pokeblock.
    I've tried Breeding for shinies, but cus I don't really understand it, I give up quite quickly. I also always leave pokemon in the dayacre too long, after the pokemon I want has hatched, so I have an extra egg. I then put it in my box and forget what it is. It's quite weird.

Years
    Well i once was breeding for a whole day in my SS trying to get a shiny haunter. when i did actually get one my game crashed! i hsad to breed for a whole day again after that trying to get him again. oh and another story is when i was breading for a shiny nidoking. every single egg was a male until a shiny one came out and it was a female :/ she's just sat in my box now at Lv. 100 doing nothing while her brother is a major part of my team :P

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
    I decided to ignore IVs.

I breed 6 pokemon that fit the nature/ability criteria, and then check the IVs of those 6. I choose the best one and raise it, even if the IVs are bad.

I've bred about 300 Electrike's though... only 2 came out to be right nature with Hidden Power Grass.... still trying for 4 more.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    I'm still trying to hatch a Modest Feebas after...um, three days. :U I'm kicking myself because when I restarted Platinum I forgot to rescue my Modest Ditto + Everstone, so I'm stuck with an Adamant Ditto and a series of Adamant, Calm or Bashful natured Feebas. :| I caught a load of Ditto on LG last night to see if one of them would come up as Modest, but they were all useless too. Pah. PAH I SAY.

The only thing I've ever given up on breeding-wise was breeding a Shinx with Ice Fang. And that's only because I couldn't find a female Shinx anywhere wtf.

Back