• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Breeding Questions

Ruyu

Gliscor's Biggest Fan
Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2014
    Hello guys! I have a few breeding questions I would like to ask as breeding is a new topic to me! Here they are!

These are all questions from me breeding with a level 100 flawless japanese ditto!

1) How do I transfer my IVs from my 6 IV Ditto to my babies?

2) How do I transfer abilities and hidden abilities to my babies?

3) How are the chances for breeding a shiny with my japanese ditto and american parent?

4) How to I transfer natures to my babies from a parent with the nature I want?

5) How would I do these all together? For example, how would I breed my 6 IV Japanese Ditto with my adamant huge power marill to obtain a 5-6 IVs at 31, the huge power ability with my adamant nature?

Thanks so much guys! I appreciate any help and tips you can give!

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • Just have patience, okay? Forum folk reply when they reply.

Best thing is to have one of the Pokemon hold the Destiny Knot. It will transfer up to 5 IVs total from EACH Parent. You can use THIS TOOL HERE to predict the likelyhood of breeding a baby with the right IVs

2) How do I transfer abilities and hidden abilities to my babies?
    Hidden Abilities always come from the mother, unless you are breeding a Male with a Ditto. (Females can also pass it on w/ Ditto, but for Males you MUST use a Ditto with him.)
    Other Abilities is just chance. Also, Hidden Abilities are NOT guarenteed to Pass on, it's just that Females have a better chance of passing it on.

3) How are the chances for breeding a shiny with my japanese ditto and american parent?
    1/1365, unless you have the Shiny charm (Obtained for completing the National Pokedex) then it's 1/1024
    Someone MIGHT want to correct me on this, I'm not totally sure.

4) How to I transfer natures to my babies from a parent with the nature I want?
    Have the parent with the desired nature hold an Everstone. That will GUARANTEE the babies have that nature.

5) How would I do these all together? For example, how would I breed my 6 IV Japanese Ditto with my adamant huge power marill to obtain a 5-6 IVs at 31, the huge power ability with my adamant nature? Have the Marill hold the Everstone, as that one has the right nature. Then have the Ditto hold the Destiny Knot, as the MArill already has a held item (DK can be held by whichever parent)

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    You are breeding in X and Y correct? If not then the Destiny Knot trick doesn't work. You'll have to risk trying to only pass 2 using the Power items.

Also the Shiny Charm is still being tested to see if it works with Breeding as it is currently rumored not to work with Breeding anymore. Right now, like with Friend Safari Shiny Rate, there is no definite proof that it is increased. There are roughly about as many yes's to no's on both subjects depending on who you ask. (XY related only)

Don't get discouraged if the Shiny Charm doesn't look as if its working while Breeding.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Destiny Knot only really works in XY I think. I'm not sure about B2W2 breeding mechanics as I only bred in BW.

Years
  • For BW2, the Everstone would always pass natures, but when an egg was generated, its IVs would be set in stone. What that means is whatever the first egg the parents with their given items would breed, its IVs can't be worked around, so if you don't like them you have to save, refuse the egg and wait for the next one. I didn't like that, but they did have the Incubating services at Join Avenue to compensate.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • It would have made some of the answers easier if you had included the game you were trying to breed in, as all of them are different.
    Destiny Knot only really works in XY I think. I'm not sure about B2W2 breeding mechanics as I only bred in BW.
    It's XY only. It doesn't work in BW2.
    You are breeding in X and Y correct? If not then the Destiny Knot trick doesn't work. You'll have to risk trying to only pass 2 using the Power items.
    Power items pass 3 IVs, not 2. The one the items is associated with on the Pokemon holding it, and 2 randomly chosen ones from either parent.
    Also the Shiny Charm is still being tested to see if it works with Breeding as it is currently rumored not to work with Breeding anymore. Right now, like with Friend Safari Shiny Rate, there is no definite proof that it is increased. There are roughly about as many yes's to no's on both subjects depending on who you ask. (XY related only)
    Most likely the Shiny Charm does work with eggs. The Japanese description wasn't changed with the change of generation and probably just means it was a translation error.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Yeah, the whole thing with how people aren't sure if the Shiny Charm works on Eggs in this generation or not has been a long-standing issue. I've been hearing that the odds of, say, the Masuda Method with the Shiny Charm are 1/512, which are double what they were in BW2. All things considered, i'm gonna go with the belief that it does.

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
    Years
  • Just have patience, okay? Forum folk reply when they reply.

Best thing is to have one of the Pokemon hold the Destiny Knot. It will transfer up to 5 IVs total from EACH Parent. You can use THIS TOOL HERE to predict the likelyhood of breeding a baby with the right IVs

I had actually never heard about that tool to show the likelyhood of a certain spread occurring :o Thank you so much for posting that!

The Shiny Charm is expected to be about 1/512 chance while doing Masuda Method and having Shiny Charm. The shiny chance was doubled in this game anyway so it would stand to reason that the shiny chance using MM and Shiny Charm would be doubled as well(was 1/1024 in Gen V so Gen VI is probably 1/512).

Master Kavar

Where beginnings are
    Years
  • Hey buddy its quite simple i first had to ask a lot of questions like you we all start from the beginning,
    ok here it is
    1. To transfer any IV's you need the parent that holds the IV's you want to transfer aka your Ditto make it hold destiny knot this will send your Dittos IV;s to to the baby.

2. The female has i think 50% chance to send the ability to your baby male i think less.

3. Im not to sure on that but is called the Masuda method and i think is 20% chance i'm 100% sure but it does work.

4. To send your natures to the baby make the parent with the nature everstone it will send the nature to the baby.

5. So make maril hold everstone and make Ditto hold Destiny Knot to ensure you get a baby with the nature and IV's you want also keep in mind that if maril is male its harder to send the ability to the baby it's like 30% to 50% chance of getting the ability i think so yeah :-)

Last edited:
    Back