• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Breeding tips?

King Zelos

Blame Your Fate
Years
  • I bet it does. Just thinking about it makes my head hurt too... But isn't that just trial and error? Level up two growlithes (with close combat already) then evolve one and not the other. Then, just breed them together and pray that both moves will be passed down....

I believe I figured that one out as well. The method is, level up Growlithe to level 45, learn Flare Blitz, evolve him into Arcanine and then go to the Move Re-Learner or whatever he is called. Once there I give him a Heart Scale and I can make him remember Extreme Speed. Sounds about right, no? I sure hope so!

famillan

Addicted.
    Years
    • PA
    • Seen Dec 29, 2014
    I believe I figured that one out as well. The method is, level up Growlithe to level 45, learn Flare Blitz, evolve him into Arcanine and then go to the Move Re-Learner or whatever he is called. Once there I give him a Heart Scale and I can make him remember Extreme Speed. Sounds about right, no? I sure hope so!

That sounds more convenient and less headache inducing. Try it and hopefully it'll work. :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Okay, so this is to the breeders that use Destiny Knot and are keeping track of which stat is coming from which parent, I have been keeping track with each generation and I have been looking at a couple of videos on YouTube and it seems (extremely anecdotally) that the IVs that are passed down are ALWAYS 3 from 1 parent, 2 from the other (I have yet to see 4 from 1, 1 from the other, or other variations) so can anyone confirm whether or not this is accurate by the pokemon they themselves have bred with their own eyes? can it be a mixture or is it always 3 from 1, 2 from the other?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    So while obviously tons of people already know this, I JUST found this out tonight so I thought I would share so more people will know:

In addition to the Friend Safari where every pokemon gets at least 2 perfect IVs, I read that the pokemon that can't breed (found anywhere, not just in Friend Safari) are guaranteed to have at least THREE perfect IVs, (this applies to the Legendaries and the baby pokemon like Azurill, Riolu, Budew and so on) even though the baby pokemon eventually grow so that they can breed. So I checked out the stats on my pokemon and sure enough, on my NATURALLY caught pokemon:
    Azurill - Hp, Def, Speed all at 31
    Riolu (now Lucario) - Hp, At, Def and Speed all at 31 (too bad I trained it as a special attacker now!)
    Budew (now Roselia) - Hp, Sp Att, Sp Def all at 31
    Articuno - Att, Def and Sp Def all at 31

I have no idea if this applies to the genderless pokemon as I don't have any yet, if anyone else knows, please confirm, but yeah, this was a pretty big freaking discovery for me today!

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • Okay, so this is to the breeders that use Destiny Knot and are keeping track of which stat is coming from which parent, I have been keeping track with each generation and I have been looking at a couple of videos on YouTube and it seems (extremely anecdotally) that the IVs that are passed down are ALWAYS 3 from 1 parent, 2 from the other (I have yet to see 4 from 1, 1 from the other, or other variations) so can anyone confirm whether or not this is accurate by the pokemon they themselves have bred with their own eyes? can it be a mixture or is it always 3 from 1, 2 from the other?

Incorrect. After having hatched over 5,000 eggs, I can tell you that the number of stats from a particular parent are random. It can be 2 and 3, 4 and 1, or 5 and 0.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Incorrect. After having hatched over 5,000 eggs, I can tell you that the number of stats from a particular parent are random. It can be 2 and 3, 4 and 1, or 5 and 0.

It's not incorrect at all, I was never talking about baby pokemon you hatched, I was talking about CAUGHT pokemon: (Boldened)

So while obviously tons of people already know this, I JUST found this out tonight so I thought I would share so more people will know:

In addition to the Friend Safari where every pokemon gets at least 2 perfect IVs, I read that the pokemon that can't breed (found anywhere, not just in Friend Safari) are guaranteed to have at least THREE perfect IVs, (this applies to the Legendaries and the baby pokemon like Azurill, Riolu, Budew and so on) even though the baby pokemon eventually grow so that they can breed. So I checked out the stats on my pokemon and sure enough, on my NATURALLY caught pokemon:
    Azurill - Hp, Def, Speed all at 31
    Riolu (now Lucario) - Hp, At, Def and Speed all at 31 (too bad I trained it as a special attacker now!)
    Budew (now Roselia) - Hp, Sp Att, Sp Def all at 31
    Articuno - Att, Def and Sp Def all at 31

I have no idea if this applies to the genderless pokemon as I don't have any yet, if anyone else knows, please confirm, but yeah, this was a pretty big freaking discovery for me today!

and Riolu, Azurill and Budew are baby pokemon that can be caught in the wild. I don't know what other baby pokemon may be caught in the wild, those are the only ones I have found.

TheSyren

Veteran Breeder
    Years
  • i'm not sure if it has been stated yet, but Egg Moves can now be passed on from the mother. abilities can also be passed down from the father too, if the mother is ditto. to use growlithe as an example, which i just got finished breeding, you can get the egg moves quickly if you do some research. Close Combat and Extreme Speed can be learned from Lucario, Flare Blitz can be learned from Blaziken, extreme speed can also be learned when growlithe evolves into arcanine. Start off by breeding the lucario you recieved during story mode with a female growlithe. breed until you get another female growlithe. take that new growlithe and breed it with the speed boost Blaziken you got from the download, but make sure blaziken knows flare blitz. the female growlithe will pass on close combat and blaziken will pass on flare blitz. evolve any new Growlithes from that breeding pair with a fire stone and have the new Arcanine learn Extreme Speed from the move tutor and you have a great Arcanine. this is just how i did it, and if anyone wants one with the Justified ability, i can trade you one.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Okay, I have been breeding with a ditto for Fennekin, Chespin and Froakie (to get all their hidden abilities on a pokemon with my trainer ID) TODAY after about 10 - 12 Fennekins I got a shiny Fennekin. I then bred Froakie and after more than 20 - 25 (trying to get the correct nature) I got nothing. And then just now after FIVE Chespins I got a Shiny Impish Chespin with Bulletproof (which I will be using for the game!) so does anyone have any explanations? IS that ditto I used just super lucky? Is it something to do with the parents Trainer ID or something? Is there any explanation anyone can offer as to why I got so lucky with TWO shinies in one day? Thanks!

RedWar

Learning...
    Years
  • Breeding with Ditto and a Minccino holding an Everstone DOES NOT affect chances in getting a desired gender from the parent holding this Item. This will only affect passing on the Nature of the parent Pokemon holding the Everstone (50% chance if the mother OR Ditto holds an Everstone). Please do note that this only works when the "mother" (female) parent Pokemon holds the Everstone.

Pretty certain this is no longer true. Changes, as far as I can see are

1) EITHER parent can hold the everstone, no longer just the mother
    2) It is now 100% chance of passing the nature

A further third change is that it is 60% likely to pass on the mothers ability, 40% from the dad

But I'm no expert, just done some reading and experimenting

arinceo

Eat, Sleep, Pokemon
    Years
  • Okay, I have been breeding with a ditto for Fennekin, Chespin and Froakie (to get all their hidden abilities on a pokemon with my trainer ID) TODAY after about 10 - 12 Fennekins I got a shiny Fennekin. I then bred Froakie and after more than 20 - 25 (trying to get the correct nature) I got nothing. And then just now after FIVE Chespins I got a Shiny Impish Chespin with Bulletproof (which I will be using for the game!) so does anyone have any explanations? IS that ditto I used just super lucky? Is it something to do with the parents Trainer ID or something? Is there any explanation anyone can offer as to why I got so lucky with TWO shinies in one day? Thanks!

If you are breeding pokemon from different language regions (e.g. Japanese ditto with English Fennekin) the chances of breeding a shiny are increased (See http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Masuda_method), but as to the fact theat you received these shiny pokemon in under twenty eggs on two occasions, I'm fairly sure you have been incredibly, incredibly lucky. Revel in your achievement, I can't imagine you will be so lucky when breeding a shiny Froakie!

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I had read that too, but none of the pokemon that resulted in a shiny egg had a SPA, JAP, KOR, ITA, FRE or any other language box near their name, and all the trainers names were English so I'm presuming they were from an English region (although if the US counts as a different country than Canada, that obviously explains it, I thought the masuda method needed a foreign pokemon altogether (so a KOR and ITA for example, or ENG and FRE) but if just being from a different country in the same language is enough, then that might be what happened. I just don't really know for sure. Needless to say I've marked all teh involved pokemon just in case, lol!

TheSyren

Veteran Breeder
    Years
  • Pretty certain this is no longer true. Changes, as far as I can see are

1) EITHER parent can hold the everstone, no longer just the mother
    2) It is now 100% chance of passing the nature

A further third change is that it is 60% likely to pass on the mothers ability, 40% from the dad

But I'm no expert, just done some reading and experimenting

the dad's ability only passes on if the mother is a ditto. and another new change is that both parents can pass on egg moves

RedWar

Learning...
    Years
  • the dad's ability only passes on if the mother is a ditto. and another new change is that both parents can pass on egg moves

Definitely seen the mothers ability not pass though (when no ditto involved), so is it a % based thing? e.g. 60% mothers ability, 40% randomly selected normal ability (e.g. no HA)

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Definitely seen the mothers ability not pass though (when no ditto involved), so is it a % based thing? e.g. 60% mothers ability, 40% randomly selected normal ability (e.g. no HA)

Yes it only has a % chance to pass a Hidden Ability.

On a side note I've noticed people saying a Male can only pass a HA with a Ditto. I have personally passed a HA from a Male without using Ditto. The parents just have to be the same species. A Male Chlorophyll Bulbasaur and Female Blaze Charmander always make a Blaze Charmander baby. But you can breed a Male Solar Power Charmander with Female Blaze Charmander and get Solar Power babies.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I'm still a noob for 6th. gen breeding, but I used to breed ad trade a lot in previous gens (especially gen 4). I'm sure you've read the basic guides and most of your questions have been answered but the most important and practical piece of advice that I can give would be to have patience.

Back