• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Breeding vs Catching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2013
    I haven't play pokemon in years and I used to just catch what pokemons I like without considering trait or abilities or stats. Now I'm having problem grasping the concept of catching vs breeding. I want to play competitive and I want decent pokemons to use. So right now I'm catching different/multiple pokemons in the wild for the right ability or trait. It's taking a LOT of time and I haven't even got all my badges yet. I'm really frustrated about it =/ The question is that should I just finished the game so I can breed pokemons and would be a better off that way and increase my chance of getting the right trait and ability I want?

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    First off, welcome to the forums Garion! Nice to have you.

I'd say take it easy and finish the game at your own pace. Let your first team be your favourites, natures and IVs really don't matter in single player. There are also plenty of people who aren't very competitive and battle with just those guys, so no need to get frustrated. Just have fun right now.

After you beat the game and explore all there is to offer, breeding is necessary if you want to get into real competitive battling. Caught Pokemon are too random. It's not hard at all, especially in X and Y. I can explain it to you if you want, but I just wanted to say that it should never feel stressful at any point. If you're not enjoying what you're doing or want to do, you shouldn't do it you know? A game is all about having fun :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2014
    I agree, just enjoy and play the game first. Most of the best tools for breeding aren't available until after you beat the champ anyway, so just have fun.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2013
    Thank you for the reply I'm having fun with this game ALOT its just sometimes I thought you need to best ability/trait etc.. I guess lets blame that on youtube LAWL I like watching online battles. I guess I won't worry about Ivs and stuff like that this early.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Finish the game first and enjoy it. After, I would exploit competitive battling. Sure, catching pokemon and raising them is easier, but breeding is the best option if you want to create a solid competitive team. First, you want to breed a pokemon that has good IVs and a suitable nature that you're looking for. Next is the long part. Train that bad boy to get good EVs that you want and to get to level 100. Best of luck mate!

Pumpkaboo

Peek-a-boo
    Years
  • When you finish the game you can friend safari, that way you will guarantee that the pokemon you catch and use to breed with will have at least 2 31 IVs. It makes getting a 6IV pokemon far easier. So catch in order to breed! You can destiny knot and the maison also sells items that will guarantee one specific IV is carried over from the parent. For abilities, catch one with the ability you want as the FS also has the hidden abilities.

But for now definitely go at your own pace. There isn't much to do post game other than breed and go competitive.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • As everyone here has said, just enjoy the game at your own pace and have fun with it. Don't worry too much about the technicalities of it all until you've completed the game and are ready for it. When you are, try doing some research over at the Battle Center forum. You'll learn a lot more about competitive battling, strategies, the proper natures, etc. over there. Good luck and welcome to the community!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back