• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bringing back balanced

Goldeneyes

Geodude>Skymin
Years
  • As the coming of Platinum draws nearer balanced teams have seen less use. I have recently been making random teams that have been more or less "balanced". And the results: great. This team was especially effective at taking out the might of Platinum and some more old school threats. See for yourself.

The Overview
    Bringing back balanced
    Bringing back balanced
    Bringing back balanced
    Bringing back balanced
    Bringing back balanced
    Bringing back balanced

Bringing back balanced

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EV: 4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed
    Nature: Timid

Fire Blast
    Earth Power
    Hidden Power [Ice]
    Stealth Rock

Heatran is a great revenge killer. And since nothing else could function as a lead I made it a lead. It also has a tweak in the moveset to perform a lead's role. Fire / Ice / Ground hits everything in the game for at least neutral. Stealth Rock is an essential part of a lead's role.

Bringing back balanced

Zapdos @ Leftovers
    Ability: Pressure
    EV: 252 HP / 220 Defense / 36 Speed
    Nature: Bold

Thunderbolt
    Heat Wave
    Hidden Power [Ice]
    Roost

The best Scizor counter in the game is here to stay. I am questioning changing the EVs to make it a more offensive spread. Thunderbolt is better than Discharge in this situation because I already have paralysis support. Heat Wave for countering Scizor effecively and Hidden Power [Ice] over grass because Swampert is not a threat with Celebi around. Roost to make a durable pokemon more durable.

Bringing back balanced

Celebi @ Light Clay
    Ability: Natural Cure

Thunderwave
    Reflect
    Recover
    Grass Knot

Celebi is a fantastic pokemon, absorbing so many hits while easily crippling switchins to Celebi. Reflect so I can stall out a few pokemon that give me trouble. Grass Knot makes this a good bulky water and Gyarados counter. Recover so I can heal after taking some damage.

Bringing back balanced

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EV: 176 HP / 252 Attack / 80 Speed
    Nature: Adamant

Stone Edge
    Crunch
    Aqua Tail
    Pursuit

Tyranitar is the best pokemon in a OU, with devastating stats and a great movepool and with a Choice Band it can bring the devastation onto nearly any pokemon it wants. STAB Choice Band Stone Edge from an attack stat of over 400 is devastating. STAB Crunch is nearly as painful. Aqua Tail replaced Earthquake to deal damge to would-be counters. Pursuit delivers the farewell present to the pokemon smart enough to get the hell OUTTA THERE!

Bringing back balanced

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EV: 252 HP / 216 Defense / 32 Sp. Def / 8 Speed

Surf
    Ice Beam
    Protect
    Wish

Vaporeon is a great wishpasser, as well as a Mixape, Gyarados and mence check. I am questioning removing Hidden Power [Electric] since I have Celebi but at the moment I think I'll keep it. Surf for STAB, Ice Beam for getting rid of Salamence and Dragonite. Wish makes it a great wishpasser. This thing is really sturdy and is a nice wishpasser.

Bringing back balanced

Machamp @ Leftovers
    Ability: No Guard
    EV: 108 HP / 148 Attack / 252 Defense
    Nature: Impish

Dynamicpunch
    Payback
    Rest
    Sleep Talk

Machamp is a good status absorber as well as a top-notch Tyranitar counter. Dynamicpunch with No Guard is so good at buying me time with confuhax. lol I laugh at Rotom and Gengar coming in on Dynamicpunch, they die the very next turn from Payback and only realize their mistake after it's too late. Seriously, this thing is sturdy and powerful and I just want to give it a go.

lol at the fonts

Last edited:
    Years
  • Zapdos @ Leftovers
    EV: 252 HP / 220 Sp.Atk / 36 Speed

Thunderbolt
    Heat Wave
    Hidden Power [Ice]
    Roost
    Give it LO if you want offenense.

Celebi @ Light Clay

Thunderwave
    Reflect
    Recover
    Grass Knot
    Leftovers looks like a better idea as light clay should be used on duel screen'ers only IMO.

Machamp @ Leftovers

Dynamicpunch
    Payback
    Rest
    Sleep Talk
    Whats with the reatarded spread.Payback wants 100% power 100% of the time.
    252hp/252att/4spd should do it and go admamant as you want all the attack you can get.

Thats all i could pick out.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • Whats with the reatarded spread.Payback wants 100% power 100% of the time.
    252hp/252att/4spd should do it and go admamant as you want all the attack you can get.

Uhhh... no. If you want Machamp to be an ideal Tyranitar counter, it needs as much Defense as possible. Stick with your current spread.

Years
  • The

As the coming of Platinum draws nearer balanced teams have seen less use. I have recently been making random teams that have been more or less "balanced". And the results: great. This team was especially effective at taking out the might of Platinum and some more old school threats. See for yourself.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EV: 4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed
    Nature: Timid

Fire Blast
    Earth Power
    Hidden Power [Ice]
    Stealth Rock

Heatran is a great revenge killer. And since nothing else could function as a lead I made it a lead. It also has a tweak in the moveset to perform a lead's role. Fire / Ice / Ground hits everything in the game for at least neutral. Stealth Rock is an essential part of a lead's role.

Why use the Scarf set as a lead? It doesn't really do anything besides hit Lead Jirachi and Lead Metagross. Try this instead, it's a pretty good lead.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
    Timid
    4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
    - Stealth Rock
    - Fire Blast
    - Earthpower
    - Explosion

It lets you're opponent think that you're Scarfed and while they switch to whatever, you Stealth Rock and proceed to attack.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
    EV: 252 HP / 220 Sp.Atk / 36 Speed

Thunderbolt
    Heat Wave
    Hidden Power [Ice]
    Roost

The best Scizor counter in the game is here to stay. I am questioning changing the EVs to make it a more offensive spread. Thunderbolt is better than Discharge in this situation because I already have paralysis support. Heat Wave for countering Scizor effecively and Hidden Power [Ice] over grass because Swampert is not a threat with Celebi around. Roost to make a durable pokemon more durable.

OK, That works. But maybe since you lack a Revenge killer, you might put a Scarf on this guy. But he's Stealth rock weak so a more defensive set would be better.

Celebi @ Light Clay

Thunderwave
    Reflect
    Recover
    Grass Knot

Celebi is a fantastic pokemon, absorbing so many hits while easily crippling switchins to Celebi. Reflect so I can stall out a few pokemon that give me trouble. Grass Knot makes this a good bulky water and Gyarados counter. Recover so I can heal after taking some damage.

OK, but without Leftovers, Tyranitar's SS becomes counter productive. It might be a little better to either ditch Reflect for Heal Bell/Leech Seed/whatever and get lefties or ditch T-Wave for Light Screen to make you bulkier on the special side.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EV: 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Defense
    Nature: Adamant

Stone Edge
    Crunch
    Aqua Tail
    Pursuit

Tyranitar is the best pokemon in a OU, with devastating stats and a great movepool and with a Choice Band it can bring the devastation onto nearly any pokemon it wants. STAB Choice Band Stone Edge from an attack stat of over 400 is devastating. STAB Crunch is nearly as painful. Aqua Tail replaced Earthquake to deal damge to would-be counters. Pursuit delivers the farewell present to the pokemon smart enough to get the hell OUTTA THERE!

Run 80 Speed so you can smack Skarmory with Stone Edge before it can roost, otherwise it takes everything but Aqua Tail.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EV: 252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Sp. Def

Surf
    Ice Beam
    Hidden Power [Electric]
    Wish

Vaporeon is a great wishpasser, as well as a Mixape, Gyarados and mence check. I am questioning removing Hidden Power [Electric] since I have Celebi but at the moment I think I'll keep it. Surf for STAB, Ice Beam for getting rid of Salamence and Dragonite. Wish makes it a great wishpasser. This thing is really sturdy and is a nice wishpasser.

Try a 252 HP/216 Def/32 SpDef/8 Spe set. It gives you a lot of bulk while outspeeding Min Speed Scizor. Protect might be a great option over HP Electric too.

Machamp @ Leftovers

Dynamicpunch
    Payback
    Rest
    Sleep Talk

Machamp is a good status absorber as well as a top-notch Tyranitar counter. Dynamicpunch with No Guard is so good at buying me time with confuhax. lol I laugh at Rotom and Gengar coming in on Dynamicpunch, they die the very next turn from Payback and only realize their mistake after it's too late. Seriously, this thing is sturdy and powerful and I just want to give it a go.

Alright thats good.

Changes and suggestions in Bold.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • This team isn't really "balanced" seeing as all of the pokemon are defensive or have defense in mind (like ScarfTran, since revenge killers are for protecting your team rather than hurting the opponent's)...Tyranitar is your only offensive pokemon, but it's a bulky EV spread without the speed to beat Skarmory. It's a good team from the looks of it, but it's not really "balanced." then again, it's not stall and it's certainly not offensive, so it's unique, and kudos for that. but "balanced" it is not, I'm afraid.

Either way, good team. Give Tyranitar 80 speed EVs to beat 177 Spd Skarmory before it can Roost. I actually disagree with the previous poster about changing Heatran since you don't have any capable leads on your team anyways, but I'd just use Tyranitar as a lead instead to get SS up. either way Dugtrio kinda screws you but eh.

Also, switch the 220 SAtk EVs on Zapdos to Def EVs. You're really weakening Zapdos as a defensive pokemon while the SAtk doesn't really help. If you want to make it an attacker, timid@4hp/252spd/252satk with Life Orb is a better bet, same moveset. Either one works really. Also, if you just change the EVs and keep Zapdos defensive, I like running 4 extra speed EVs to always beat opposing Celebi and Zapdos that run similar defensive sets. It's not necessary, but it can come in handy.

Goldeneyes

Geodude>Skymin
    Years
  • I have made some changes.

Dark Seeker: I don't really want offense on my Zapdos and Reflect + Light Clay allows me to stall a ton of physical sweepers which I don't really have an answer to. That Machamp spread looks awful for countering Tyranitar.

Get Out of my Honey Pot, Ursaring: I'll keep my old spread for obvious reasons which I made clear earlier.

T-tar: I'll try out your Vaporeon spread.

Anti: In general, I prefer bulky sweepers, it allows easier switchins and both Heatran and Tyranitar are bulky enough. The rest of the team is basically walls and counters to common and uncommon threats. Other changes have been made.

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2009
    Try out Scizor or a Sub-DDance Kingdra variant. They are relatively bulky and have great synergy together (Kingdra resists fire moves, Scizor resists Outrage and will live a meteor, Roosting up afterwards). They can both set up and sweep, or go with Choice Bands (Specs for the Kingdra if you want).

Back