• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Brock!!!

TSS_Killer

The (6) Train BCCS Owner
Years
  • quick answer to that....his eyes are open,but the animators decided that he shouldn't have big eyes(wouldn't match his figure). Although there were some occasions where Takeshi's(Brock's) eyes were wide open for a split second(maybe 5 or 6 frames).

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    My theory:

The reason for the 'closed' eyes is that when the show first started, they were going to give Brock a semi-serious attitude.

My proof:

In the OVA episodes, he was quite serious about everything, the Gym Battle against Ash and such.

What actually ended up happening:

After those episodes, the storywriters changed Brock's character and made him more of a comical lecher-type character. They retained the closed eyes look as a sort of in-joke referring to what they originally wanted to do with the guy.

Furaigon

Flygon iz teh r0x0rz
    Years
    • Age 39
    • Seen Mar 15, 2005
    Actually, his eyes looking closed is just an anime thing. There are characters from other animes that are like that.

Elite Trainer Raven

Better than you.
    Years
  • Wow, some of you are off. o_O They're drawn as slits considering he's SUPPOSED to look more Asian. Kabigon has its eyes open at times and they're always drawn as slits. Proof? Lookit the Orange Islands episode where its Monster Ball is broken.

smithy.boy

Hack and PKMN egg farmer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2022
    not being nasty but i think its because hes asian. i like it a little laugh at him when i first watched pokemon

The S

The Reverend
    Years
  • Dudes, about 90% of all anime characters are Asian. It's this magical island called Japan, where a majority of their characters in general are from. I don't see Shinji Ikari or Kisaragi Ninomai running around with squinty eyes. Or other Asians like Chun-Li, either.

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2005
    guys guys...Thats just how they drew him, picture him with eyes like Ash's or Max's. I mean, come on!

The S

The Reverend
    Years
  • I stand by the fact that the eyes have nothing to do with his race. Look at every freaking Asian in anime. Only about 10% of them have squinty eyes. Maybe it's to make him appear to be older and wiser than the rest of the group.

Elite Trainer Raven

Better than you.
    Years
  • The S said:
    Dudes, about 90% of all anime characters are Asian. It's this magical island called Japan, where a majority of their characters in general are from. I don't see Shinji Ikari or Kisaragi Ninomai running around with squinty eyes. Or other Asians like Chun-Li, either.
    Someone doesn't notice that they're obviously giving it a more realistic approach and actually MAKING him Asian. It's the typical Asian stereotype, dude. o_O It's been done in more than just Pok?mon. Do you actually think he walks around with his eyes closed? They're drawn as SLITS rather than making him the generic anime character who has his eyes wide open.

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2014
    As said before their not really closed. Its really freaky when you do see his eyeballs though. I remember in the episode "A crownign achievement" about slowking brock was trying to cheer up larvitar and pulled down his eyelids revealign his eyes and both me and larvitar screamed at the same time

Years
  • cough cough......BROCK gets very emotional when people say he has his eyes closed!! hahaha be noice. hehehehe

badsymbiote

Lethal Protector
    Years
  • I thought his eyes were part of his asian appeal--like his lovely dark skin. He's quite attractive--made more so by the voicework of Eric Stuart.

Back