• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Building My First Team - Advice and Feedback Wanted!

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2016
    Hey everyone,

Over the past week I've been getting into breeding and building a competitive team, but I have no idea if my composition is actually any good. I've checked around online, and my team fulfills the basics (Stealth Rock, spinner, knock-off, etc). Here's the list I have so far:

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Stone Edge
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower
    - Crunch

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Rough Skin
    EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Tail
    - Fire Blast

Talonflame @ Choice Band
    Ability: Gale Wings
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Flare Blitz
    - U-turn
    - Steel Wing

Excadrill @ Leftovers
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
    Careful Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Iron Head
    - Rapid Spin
    - Toxic

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Huge Power
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Play Rough
    - Waterfall
    - Aqua Jet
    - Knock Off

Scizor @ Scizorite
    Ability: Light Metal
    EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
    Impish Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Roost
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn

The team started with Tyrannitar and Garchomp as two of my favourite Pokemon, and using Smogon's builds and suggestions, I picked others to cover the weaknesses of those two. If you guys need more detailed explanations of what each pick is trying to do, just let me know and I'll add it in.

Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2016
    One thing I notice is that you don't really have a safe switch-in for scald seeing as garchomp, scizor and azumarill all don't want to be burned. That ties in with another issue - you don't have any special attackers so it's easy to get walled by a physically defensive pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2016
    Thanks for the response. Any suggestions on who to switch out for a special attacker then? Is there a pokemon that fills the role of special attacking and that can switch-in for scald?

Thanks!

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Sand Rush Excadrill might be a better option than the Mold Breaker set, as it can make use of Tyranitars ability to set up Sand. You also might wanna watch out, because your team's worn down quite easily.

Years
  • First of all, Light Metal is a bad ability for Scizor. Its only reason to stay in OU is Technician Boosted Bullet Punch, so change it.
    -----
    Next up is Excadrill... Since you have Sand Stream support from Tyranitar There's no use of Bulky Excadrill.. if you want to use Excadrill, try the following set:
    Excadrill @ Life Orb/Earth Plate
    Ability: Sand Rush
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Iron Head
    - Rock Slide
    - Rapid Spin
    it has a Lots of Power as well as Enough speed to outspeed Every unboosted Pokemon.
    If you don't want to use Excadrill, you can remove it with Lati@s:
    Latias @ Life Orb
    Ability: Levitiate
    EVs: 72 Hp / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock/Earthquake/HP Fire
    - Defog
    - Healing Wish

Latias is better then Latios as every team appreciates its ability to Recover one of its weakened party member using Healing Wish. Its also a great Sp. Atker.
    ----
    You can also remove Garchomp with Magic Guard Clefable, it can serves as a Stealth Rock setter, doesn't care about Burns, Paralyze the opponents with Thunder Wave, Also acts as a Sp. Atker.
    Chansey acts as the same as Clefable except that it can't be a Sp. Atker.
    ----
    I have to play a little to see What can be changed other than these.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • First of all, Light Metal is a bad ability for Scizor. Its only reason to stay in OU is Technician Boosted Bullet Punch, so change it.
    -----
    Next up is Excadrill... Since you have Sand Stream support from Tyranitar There's no use of Bulky Excadrill.. if you want to use Excadrill, try the following set:
    Excadrill @ Life Orb/Earth Plate
    Ability: Sand Rush
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Iron Head
    - Rock Slide
    - Rapid Spin
    it has a Lots of Power as well as Enough speed to outspeed Every unboosted Pokemon.
    If you don't want to use Excadrill, you can remove it with Lati@s:
    Latias @ Life Orb
    Ability: Levitiate
    EVs: 72 Hp / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock/Earthquake/HP Fire
    - Defog
    - Healing Wish

Latias is better then Latios as every team appreciates its ability to Recover one of its weakened party member using Healing Wish. Its also a great Sp. Atker.
    ----
    You can also remove Garchomp with Magic Guard Clefable, it can serves as a Stealth Rock setter, doesn't care about Burns, Paralyze the opponents with Thunder Wave, Also acts as a Sp. Atker.
    Chansey acts as the same as Clefable except that it can't be a Sp. Atker.
    ----
    I have to play a little to see What can be changed other than these.
    Light Metal may seem weird for the pre-Mega ability, but it has its uses to weaken Low Kick and Grass Knot when regular Scizor switches in; Scizor is one of those Pokemon that Mega Evolves immediately. Mega Scizor also has its regular counterpart's ability in Technician, so your point about Light Metal being a bad ability on it is rather moot.

Air Balloon is the better alternative item on Excadrill; a temporary immunity to Ground moves is better than a bluff in Life Orb.

Years
  • Light Metal may seem weird for the pre-Mega ability, but it has its uses to weaken Low Kick and Grass Knot when regular Scizor switches in; Scizor is one of those Pokemon that Mega Evolves immediately. Mega Scizor also has its regular counterpart's ability in Technician, so your point about Light Metal being a bad ability on it is rather moot.

Air Balloon is the better alternative item on Excadrill; a temporary immunity to Ground moves is better than a bluff in Life Orb.

Oh yeah i forgot about that xD

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2016
    Light Metal may seem weird for the pre-Mega ability, but it has its uses to weaken Low Kick and Grass Knot when regular Scizor switches in; Scizor is one of those Pokemon that Mega Evolves immediately. Mega Scizor also has its regular counterpart's ability in Technician, so your point about Light Metal being a bad ability on it is rather moot.

Apologies about the Excadrill, I think I pasted in the wrong set! The reason I actually chose Excadrill was because of the Sand Rush/Sand Stream synergy.

The Light Metal Scizor is for the reasons mentioned. I have, however, trained a Technician one up too, to try them both out.

As for my SR setter, then. If I take out Garchomp and replace it with this Clefable:

Clefable @ Leftovers
    Ability: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Moonblast
    - Thunder Wave
    - Soft-Boiled (Or Heal Bell?)

That gives me at least some option for special attack, and can tank status setters well?

Thanks everyone for the advice :)

Back