• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Building the machine: Custom PCs!

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
  • Just so you know, PCPartPicker is indispensable in building PCs. It's also internationalized.

Contrary to what some may say, building computers isn't hard at all to do, once you get the hang of it - some say it's like Legos with an anti-static wristband! Regardless, have you ever built a PC from scratch? Are you one of those clunker builders, taking in ancient parts and putting them together for fun? Maybe you build with all new parts, too, eh?

Share your build logs here, and post pictures if you want! Don't have the cash for a PC, or never done it before? No problem! Go to PCPartPicker and pick out some parts, and share what you get! Tell us your rationale behind what you picked, if you could. :o

Also, name preferences are a go here. Why are you brand loyal, if you are? Do you not care about part brands? Don't take this as a go to start the neverending red/green red/blue debate, though. That's a time waster.

Guest123_x1

Since money is hard and long time for me to come by, I've never had the opportunity to custom-build a new PC from scratch. I have, however, completely taken apart a desktop machine and then put it back together once many years ago.
    I really like the idea of custom-building since you have much more control over what components go inside the case, as compared to buying a pre-built machine from a major OEM where you don't really know what's inside until you get your hands on it.
    Considering Microsoft's monopoly-enforcing Secure Boot mandate is expanding and tightening, I am likely going to custom-build with off-the-shelf parts when the time comes that I have to replace a desktop.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I just did my first custom build last month! Runs great so far :3

It has:
    8 GB of RAM
    an i5-4460 CPU
    this mobo: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132287
    128 GB SSD
    1 TB HDD
    and an NVIDIA 750 graphics card
    dual boots Windows 8.1 and KUbuntu

Generally, Intel is my go-to for CPU's and SSD's, and NVIDIA is my preferred brand when it comes to graphics cards.

Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2016
    Yep building one is a great experience and these days it's pretty easy. It's just plugging things in the right places. There are a few nervy moments when you push the processor but yeah. You should check out r/buildapc on Reddit!

Back