• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle?

Which starter did you choose?

• Bulbasaur

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • Charmander

Votes: 34 50.7%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 16 23.9%

• Total voters

Karrit

Vulpix Master
    Years
    • Age 45
    • Seen Mar 7, 2011
    I usually choose either Charmander or Bulbasaur as my starters. I like squirtle too, but I prefer grass and fire pokemon over water (sometimes).

battlemaster

Chao's are soo Kawaii >.<
    Years
    There are a few reason i chose Bulbasaur...
    1) Can't be poisned....good for the begining of the game
    2) Evolves Eariler....although 4 lvs really doesn't make that much of a diffrince
    and 3) Bulbasaur works well against Brock and Misty, and Serges Elec Pokemon dont do all that much damage :)

Nova92

NovaShark Unlimited Webmaster
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Sep 15, 2008
    I chose Charmander cause i trhink he is the best starter from that series

saint jimmmey

mwahahahaha....¬_¬
    Years
    squirtle
    whats all this rubbish about it being hard to train??
    i started my very first pokemon rpg with it and i found it fine
    and with brock:bulbasaur learns leach seed at level 7(or 6) and what use is that???
    you need to train it up to level 12 to get vine whip to actual do some damage with it so it's rubbish for new trainers
    squirtle learns bubble at level 8 need i say more???

Last edited:

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    squirtle
    whats all this rubbish about it being hard to train??
    i started my very first pokemon rpg with it and i found it fine
    and with brock:bulbasaur learns leach seed at level 7(or 6) and what use is that???
    you need to train it up to level 12 to get vine whip to actual do some damage with it so it's rubbish for new trainers
    squirtle learns bubble at level 8 need i say more???
    If someone doesn't have a level 12 Pokémon when he/she reaches Brock he/she should really learn something about training -.-

Anyway... I prefer Bulbasaur, mainly because Ivysaur and Venusaur totally rock my socks (even though I love Wartortle and Charmeleon too _^^).
    I couldn't care less if it's the easiest, I only chose Bulbasaur because it's my favourite out of the three. Plus, its limited movepool makes it the hardest starter imo.

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
    Years
    I picked charmander, although I never evolve it.
    Besides, I hardly see any fire pokemon being burned.

Deathspector

I'm so hardcore, I'm "X"-rated
    Years
    I'd definitely choose Bulbasaur, without hesitation.

First of all, I feel that Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, and Venosaur are extremely underrated because of their glaringly obvious advantages to the first three Gyms. Yet, they are still very powerful, and when I played, just to prove a point to my friend I just wouldn't not evolve Ivysaur until his Charmeleon evolved, and you know what? My team won.

Also, I feel that it can learn great moves. It's special defense is rather good, and can withstand an Ice Beam or even a STABed up Flamethrower, and still deal some damage. Also, it can learn Earthquake, to get rid of those nasty Fire types. It's only real weakness would be Flying, because it doesn't work on Special Attack.

Overall, I feel that Bulbasaur is the best starter, by far.

Years
    I've used all three, but when I first got Pokemon Blue in 1997 I picked Squirtle because I thought you had to, considering the game was Pokemon Blue.

I fell in love with him, and ever since then he's become my favorite Pokemon. I was so young and naive that I didn't know you could switch Pokemon in a battle, so I beat the entire Elite 4, and Gary with just my Blastoise.

I remember using flail to finish the battle and win.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2006
    Charmander cuz I love smokin' em in the head with Pester Balls in Snap. Or just gathering them near the edge by using apples, then once they're in a circle I throw an apple at one of the heads and it bounces off all their heads, sorta like Stupid Charmander Volleyball.

Back