• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charmander

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • So, as the title thread says, we get to choose either from Bulbasaur , Squirtle and Charmander, which one did you chose out of them in RBG and why? well we all know those games were much different the there remakes.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I went with Squirtle. Blastoise was the first Pokémon I ever saw, and it quickly became my favorite. Before starting Red, I learned that choosing Squirtle would ultimately net me Blastoise, so it seemed like an obvious choice. My decision started me down a path of choosing water starters, and I've continued the trend in my main game for each generation ever since.

I actually like Charmander and Bulbasaur a lot too, but I've used them significantly less because I like Squirtle so much, and a lot of the time when the Kanto starters are available (especially in R/B), I can only choose one of them.

Years
  • Charmander all the way! I am a huge Fire type fan, so of course I went with Charmander, cause you can't turn down the epic orange dragon. But, in my latest playthrough of this game, I went with Squirtle.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I've went with Squirtle in Pokémon Blue version, as it was the game's mascot and whatnot. I did not regret selecting this Pokémon at all, as it was quite helpful in my eyes; it wasn't easy to take down in any way, and moves that it was able to learn were all-around great.

In my second run, I've selected Charmander, so that I could see how it's like when it evolves (of course, I've seen Charizard in anime, but at the time, have never tried it in-game). Just like Squirtle, it was equally as good. Back then, I have also thought fire-types to be strongest, in a way, so choosing this Pokémon did satisfy me, which is nice!

I was really fond of what they did in Yellow version; allowing us to not obtain any starter Pokémon in beginning, but get a hold of them later throughout. I believe it would be nice if they were to incorporate this method into some other game at some point in future.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • From the very first time I ever played Blue, I always thought Squirtle was the most interesting of the three starters. It was quite impressed with it. I recall the last playthough I did of Blue, I ended up choosing Squirtle for familiarity. It eventually became a Blastoise, said Blastiose being nicknamed Delta.

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2015
    I rather choose charmander cause charizard looks like a dragon. ( although not) but using charmander really help in the early game. then later you can catch more pokemon.

Years
  • When i first played Red, i chose Charmander only because at that time i didn't know much about the games and, like many, saw Charizard and thought he looked amazing. However, now i would most likely go with Bulbasaur. He is just so adorable and Ivysaur looks cool. Venasaur is also quite a powerful grass type with a solid move pool, being able to learn both sleep and poison powder to really mess up the opponent.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • On red I first chose Charmander because it was my favorite pokemon at the time, but then on Blue I chose Bulbasaur because I didn't like Squirtle and I wanted to have a game where I didn't have Charizard on my team.

Back