• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Burn In My Light

Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2016
Editor's Introduction
---------------
Hello, I am Dayne, and I welcome you all to this story of mine. I haven't been on in a long, long time, and I'm sure nobody knows me (which is fine) but I've always had a passion for writing and reading, and I feel like I have come up with something interesting. I do not want to give any spoilers, and everything will be up for speculation, which is what a good book is all about. I would say every 2-3 weeks another chapter with some significance in length will be posted, but I will put them up when I finish a chapter. I will say that I am not a great writer, and any tips and guidance will be appreciated, but I am hoping the context of the story will what attract many of you avid readers.

"Burn In My Light" Prologue
---------------
Reading through this, you will probably say "Oh, another Kanto story..." I am taking a new approach, not the original eight badges, good guy versus bad guy, and become champion routine. You will have to wait and see. I believe this story will stay mostly PG, and if any derogatory language does come up, I will make a forewarning in my "Chapter xx Notes" section. The story itself will give you the imagery, the plot, the setting, and anything else you can think of that an introduction would give away.

Chapter One Notes
---------------
This really starts off slow, so I understand if you fall asleep once or twice. Like I said, let your imaginations run wild and try to guess what will happen. It may become clearer what my intentions are towards the end of the story, but that's the fun of it. I look forward to the next chapter, and I hope you do as well!

Chapter One
"The Fire That Burns Inside"

The breeze was light and soothing, and off in the distance, was the sun slowly setting over a peaceful day. The waves in the water lightly hit the rocks on the coast, and on the beach nearby, was a school of Poliwag playing tag. The sight was breathtaking, and it was hard to take it all in at once.

"It's a shame that this will be the last time in a long time we will get to see this view." Brogan looked over at the small fire Pokemon, with a slight smirk. "Magby, are you ready?"

"Magby, Mag!" he exclaimed.

Magby stood up and flexed his muscles, and the only thing Brogan could do is just smile back and look into his sidekick's determined eyes. It didn't take long for the duo to move their attention back to the scenery, as a flock of Spearow flew above them. Brogan let out a small sigh, as the breeze moved his wavy hair.

"You know Magby, we have been together for over seven years, and we have not set foot outside of this coast... this cottage... this area, once. I've been here since a young boy, working to one day own this place, to get away from the world that has devoured the life I once knew. Happiness, prosperity, bliss, it was all gone." He glanced over to the Pokemon. "But, when I found you one morning on those rocks, in a frail state, I felt a connection between us, and I knew we would be together for a long time."

Brogan took a glance out into the ocean again. The sun had almost disappeared from this side of the world, and the moon's glistening light began to shine behind the two. The Poliwag had found their homes for the night, the Spearow had flown to a distant land, and the environment around them had turn silent. Brogan leaned back on the grass, put his hands behind his head, and looked up at the emptiness of the sky.

"I could become the best Pokemon trainer in the world, I could research and learn more and more about every species, and I could just stay here and live in peace for the rest of my life, but I need to know why everything happened the way it did. I need to find my way back home, and that's where all my questions will be answered."

Brogan stood on his two feet, took one last glance at the black sky, turned around and started walking back towards the cottage. Magby shot right up and tilted his head, showing concern for the trainer that took him in when he was injured. Magby chased after him, screaming towards him. Brogan stopped, turned around, and was surprised to see Magby jump into his arms, with all smiles and a giddy attitude. Brogan's only reaction was to laugh, and all the problems that was currently on his mind washed away.

"Thanks Magby, I know that with you by my side, I will forever be happy, no matter the questions I have or the answers I find. Now, let's get some sleep, our lives are going to change in a matter of hours."

"Mag, Mag!"

The two entered the door of the cottage, unknowingly what was ahead of them when the sun rises.

The sun's aura is just breaking the surface, flocks of Pidgey and Farfetch'd have settled in the trees in the nearby forest, chirping, which signals a new day has started. Brogan and Magby start to toss and turn from their sleeping positions, but the light is too bothersome to continue the night's rest. Brogan sits right up, deep in thought, knowing this is a life changing event. He looks over at his partner, expecting the same enthusiasm, but Magby is sound asleep, puffing small smoke rings.

"Why doesn't this surprise me?" Brogan asks himself, shaking his head with a faint smile.

Brogan picks himself up and goes to the handmade desk and drawer, opens up the compartment, and takes out six Pokeballs. He grasps the small spheres in his hand, staring into space, with many thoughts running through his mind.

"Bill gave me these many, many years ago. I never thought I would need all of these, let alone one, but it just goes to show you can't escape your destiny. I wonder what other Pokemon will join me in my expedition... maybe a Poliwag, or a Spearow, or any fire Pokemon. They have always been my favorite type of species..."

Brogan turned his attention towards Magby, noticing he is still asleep, and begins a slight chuckle.

"If he's not up in the next hour, he's going into the Pokeball," joking to himself.

An hour had past, the sun is beginning to reach its daily peak, and rustling could be heard from within the cottage. A mixture of yelling orders and questions could be heard, and after almost a minute of the continuous pattern, the door leading to the world shot open, portraying a determined Pokemon with an even more determined trainer. A couple of Ratatta scurry across the duo, enjoying the sunshine while playing tag, but it does not break their firm focus.

"This is it Magby! Our first step into our new journey, our new life... begins now!"

"Maaaaag!"

The fiery bipedal Pokemon could not hold back his excitement, as he let out a burst of flame from his mouth. Brogan looked at his partner and was just as fired up as Magby was, clenching his fist and gazing into the unexplored world. Not after long, they made their first step forward and their last step on the cottage grounds for an uncertain amount of time.

"This is surreal," the trainer exclaimed. "I never expected to see myself traveling back to that place. But, the important thing is, is that I know I will find my answers... but how I find my answers."

Brogan looked down at Magby with a stern, captivating expression, and reflecting back at him was a confused, perplexed look, showing signs of wonder. Magby put his paws in his mouth and stretched out his mouth, rolled his eyes in different directions, aiming to get a hysterical reaction from his owner. As expected, Brogan could not do anything except laugh, bringing him back to reality.

"You're right. I'm going to enjoy this adventure, and when we reach that point in our journey, that's when I can be serious. Until then, let's enjoy the unknown!"

Both the trainer and the Pokemon could not wait any longer as the duo started to run West into the forest nearby.

Hours had past, darkness shadowed the region of Kanto, and any light that could sneak in was engulfed by the forest. Magby's breathing was the only source of light, as dribbles of embers dripped after every exhale and inhale. Unusual noises could be heard from the depths of the trees, which brought some fear over Brogan, but he was determined to find his way through the thick brush. Another minute had passed, Brogan glanced over at his partner and noticed Magby's feet began to drag on the ground.

"You ready to settle down for the night?"

Magby, exhausted and sore, had no energy to exclaim a single phrase, dropped to the ground on his back and began snoring. Brogan knelt down over his sidekick, drew a faint smile, and laid next to him. The noises from before slowly faded away, which helped Brogan relax and his eyes became heavy.

"Good...," Brogan spoke to Magby, but the word was interrupted by a spacious yawn. "...night."

Before dreams could be imagined, a large explosion happened in the distance. The boom awakened Brogan and Magby, which brought them both rapidly to their feet. Pokemon in the trees and bushes scurried away, making their calls to fellow creatures to escape while they could.

"Wh... What was that!?" the disturbed trainer shouted.

"Magby! Mag!"

Magby pointed in the direction they were originally heading, with a gleaming light not too far off ahead. Both stood there shocked for a moment, holding their breath, anticipating another loud boom. Roughly fifteen seconds passed, nothing new seemed to happen, and the expression on Brogan's face showed he was intrigued at what the explosion was.

"Let's go check it out Magby!"

Both of them rushed to the scene of the crime, running towards the large fire, breathing heavily. After a minute of running, another explosion transpired, which shook the ground near Brogan and Magby. They continued their stride, pushing through the brush and branches, and finally, they reached the destination. The area was an open grassland, circular in shape, but it was surrounded by forestry. On the opposite side seemed to be a rocky structure, which was hard to make out what it exactly was, even though the moonlight was almost at its peak. In front of Brogan and his fiery friend, a multitude of dark figures, which seemed inconspicuous with the overpowering darkness. Brogan pushed Magby down behind a bush, and put his hand over his mouth, signaling that they need to be as quiet as possible.

"Let's get out boys! It's finally ours!" one of the murky figures screamed. "Return Kangaskhan!"

A villainous laugh came from another man.

"Oh man, the boss is gonna love us! Nobody is ever gonna beat him, that is, if anyone can ever reach him!"

The same individual pulled a Pokeball from his pocket, pushing the button and enlarging the ball.

"Return Rhydon!"

The group of men's attention turned towards the sky, as the moon now had a large, shadowy figure in front of it. Brogan was intently watching, continuously keeping Magby low in the bushes, watching the figure reaching closer and closer.

"Is that a Pokemon?" Brogan whispered to himself.

All of a sudden, a ball of light glistened from the Pokemon-like configuration, which sent the group of dastardly men frantic.

"Into the forest! Now! Now!" the man with the Kangaskhan screamed.

All the men rushed into the forest, splitting in different directions. Brogan ducked into the bushes, hoping he would not be spotted. In a matter of seconds, the light became a beam and struck the surrounding forest and grassland, causing a massive eruption of grass, rock, and dirt, and sent Brogan and Magby into the air. Both of them had their flight interrupted by a large tree stump. After the collision, Brogan and Magby were covered in leaves and branches, laying there motionless. Silence.

Back