• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen But I wanted to see a lion!

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    Excuse the title, and apologies if this thread already exists.

So I'd like to talk about the Safari Zone, or in this case, the lack of it. Is anyone really bothered that this generation, so far, has excluded the Safari Zone? Did you even notice it was gone, and do you think that it's made up for by the new features?

Personally I was pretty unaware of this feature's absence through the game. But then, I never really used it very much. x)

Discuss away!

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
    I didn't even thought about it, but now that you mention it, I would have liked B/W to contain one. Maybe "Gray" will? I prefer the Safari Zone over the Dream World, since only one Pokemon can be tucked in each day in the latter.

dieter57

pokemon master
    Years
    i don't see the point in a safari zone when we have the dream world.
    it's kinda like the same thing (even though you can only get one pokemon per visit)
    but the cool abilities make up for that. and the more you use it, the rare the pokemon you can find.
    so i don't miss the safari zone.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
    i don't see the point in a safari zone when we have the dream world.
    it's kinda like the same thing (even though you can only get one pokemon per visit)
    but the cool abilities make up for that. and the more you use it, the rare the pokemon you can find.
    so i don't miss the safari zone.
    You need so many points to see better Pokemon though. I think you need 10 000 to unlock all.

dieter57

pokemon master
    Years
    it takes time but i feel it's worth it.
    plant loads of berries, which are every where in the island of dreams.
    and trade stuff on the share shelves.
    it racks up faster then you think.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    ya i miss the safari zone, dream world sucks,they shouldve made a safari zone that had the dream world abilities.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I think the eastern half of unova kind of act as a safari zone. You get all the international pokemon in there just like it was in pokemon sapphire...

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I guess there are both pros and cons with the lack of a Safari Zone in the games. However I think the good thing about not including the Safari Zone this gen was the chance of finding a shiny Pokémon in it. If there's a high chance this Pokémon is going to flee, then you might as well throw a fit because that is just upsetting I'll say. >:<

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
    Years
    Screw Safari Zone. All the good pokemon in there are both rare, deep inside, and run away within a few turns and you have to catch it without weakening it. I hate it and I always will...

Likely why I didn't notice it was gone until this topic.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I still liked the idea of the Safari Zone as like a collection of rarer Pokémon. To be honest, I prefer to have a variety of rarer Pokémon like Tauros, Scyther, Kangaskhan etc (in the Kanto Safari Zone) rather than to have like one rare-ish Pokémon for each area like it seems like in B/W. I just kinda liked the fact that it seemed like a rare Pokémon hunting ground more than anything else. :(

btw your title made me think we need more lion pokémon imo

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I dislike that the Safari Zone was removed in BW. :( It's been in the games since the days of Generation 1. Dream World kind of seems like a shoddy replacement, IMO, due to having to use Berries as currency, and the numerous restrictions associated with it. The Safari Zone felt like the true test of a Trainer's Pokemon capturing skills, especially as wild Pokemon could flee (humorously inducing many moments of ragequitting if said Pokemon happened to be shiny XD). No Pokemon, no moves - just you and your tools (Bait, Rock, PokeBlocks, etc.). I admit, the place was very frustrating at tims, but the feeling once you bag a rare Pokemon that has a high tendency to flee in there is just amazing - you actually worked for that capture, and you didn't even need your Pokemon to do it. This sensation increases multifold when you manage to catch a shiny Pokemon in the Safari Zone, especially one with a high fleeing tendency. Come to think of it, I actually did encounter a shiny in Sapphire's Safari Zone - Shiny Natu! ^_^ At the time, I was following some CheatCode tip that said if you bunny-hop with the Acro Bike in a certain location, then your likelihood of encountering a Shiny Natu is increased - I wonder if that's true..?

But I wanted to see a lion!

I didn't even thought about it, but now that you mention it, I would have liked B/W to contain one. Maybe "Gray" will? I prefer the Safari Zone over the Dream World, since only one Pokemon can be tucked in each day in the latter.

Only one Pokemon allowed to be collected per day in the Dream World? What a ripoff!

I still liked the idea of the Safari Zone as like a collection of rarer Pokémon. To be honest, I prefer to have a variety of rarer Pokémon like Tauros, Scyther, Kangaskhan etc (in the Kanto Safari Zone) rather than to have like one rare-ish Pokémon for each area like it seems like in B/W. I just kinda liked the fact that it seemed like a rare Pokémon hunting ground more than anything else. :(

This. The Safari Zones of the past conjured up a sense of exoticism with the many rare species of Pokemon that were featured - with many of them even being imported from other regions. It actually felt like a wide-open-sandbox zoo, which fits it perfectly with the dominating animal theme of Pokemon. I can only hope that the Safari Zone triumphantly returns in Gray Version and future Pokemon generations. Not to mention RS3DS remakes - if the Safari Zone of RSE gets axed for some stupid Dream World substitute implementation, me and my Blaziken are gonna RAGE.

Also, I was previously told that the White Forest acted as BW's "Safari Zone", and then I found out that that wasn't really the case... T_T

Last edited:

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    I've always thought safari zone was frustrating to catch pokemon in so I never used it much (that means I would not have cared anyways), but I've grown to actually hate it ever since I encountered a shiny kangaskhan in firered safari zone and it FREAKIN' RAN AWAY AFTER 1 SAFARI BALL >( Just that one time I decided to look for some "rare" pokemon :(

That being said, I'm actually glad that safari zone's outta the game. I'll never forget that moment.. GRRRR D:<

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years

I agree.

The Safari Zone is classic. I am really surprised there isn't one in this generation. I think it would have come in handy. I had fun placing items in the Safari Zone in HGSS. It won't really feel like a full Pokemon game without it imo.

Soul Eater

→ w e a p o n.
    Years
    Black and White have no Safari Zone..?

Now that I think about it, I guess they don't.

Though, I'm not surprised that I didn't notice. With other games, I'd go into the Safari Zone for a bit the first time I arrived in whatever town it was in, and then once I left I'd rarely go back. So it didn't get much of my attention.

NamelessGuy

<Insert Witty Title Here>
    Years
    The Safari Zone was one of the best ways to fill up one's Pokedex before Gen V.

I personally think that while the Dream World can be more tedious than the Safari Zone, it's also more interactive.

Starrodkirby86

Das Kirby
    Years
    I think after Generation II lacked a complete Safari Zone, I didn't really mind the part of a Safari Zone in Black/White. I had my appetite fed from Safari Zones anyway with scouting for Rare Pokémon in the many routes, so I dare not want to find something exceedingly rare in that zone under a time limit throwing bait and rocks.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I generally hate the Safari Zone. Thing is about B&W is that we've now got the Dream World, and although not that similar, it still fills that same purpose of "catching" Pokemon in a different manner than the usual. I see it as almost being the evolution of the Safari Zone. With all that in mind, there's no real purpose in having a Safari Zone anymore. I'd say that if we do see them again, it'll be for the remakes of Ruby and Sapphire (if they're made that is... lol) and who knows, maybe they'll decide to add one in the third title.

Molts

Novice Breeder
    Years
    The original concept for the zone was good, with well intentions. Though I really loathed the execution. The lack of any way to catch Pokemon without using almost only luck based play is really not what I really enjoy. I enjoy the strategy of catching Pokemon, a lot, so I always avoid going there as the best of my ability.
    I like that it gives a very easy way to have foreign Pokemon in an otherwise nonsensical locations, but the catching mechanics of it really aren't all that fun, to me personally.

Back