• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Butterfree: Time to make a stand!

Years
  • Butterfree? What about Pidgeyot, Primeape, and the other Pokemon Ash has let go? Im sorry, but Butterfree is dead. Once butterflies mate and give birth, they die. Same applies for Pokemon.In fact, I think in the Japanese version, while Ash is watching Butterfree fly off, he drops the Pokedex, which proceeds to tell that once they mate, they die....been awhile since I've seen it, so I'm not 100% about that, but Butterfree is most likely dead.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Butterfree? What about Pidgeyot, Primeape, and the other Pokemon Ash has let go? Im sorry, but Butterfree is dead. Once butterflies mate and give birth, they die. Same applies for Pokemon.In fact, I think in the Japanese version, while Ash is watching Butterfree fly off, he drops the Pokedex, which proceeds to tell that once they mate, they die....been awhile since I've seen it, so I'm not 100% about that, but Butterfree is most likely dead.

Actually, no, Butterfree didn't die. It's a very big misconception due to Anime-elitists who claim that Animes are, due to Japanese origin, filled with blood, guts, sex, nudity, everything the American broadcasts would cringe at in terms of kids shows having it. In fact, someone on Serebiiforums dispelled that rumor a long time ago, and he's a master at Japanese. As soon as Dogasu publishes the Redone "Bye Bye Butterfree" comparison. You'll learn this completely, as well.

Still, yeah, Pidgeot and Primeape need to come back. I don't know if Butterfree would need to be brought back onto the main cast, but they could visit. Or heck, maybe they could've had Butterfree, it's mate, and maybe their kids be at Oak's place making a home there.

Years
  • Actually, no, Butterfree didn't die. It's a very big misconception due to Anime-elitists who claim that Animes are, due to Japanese origin, filled with blood, guts, sex, nudity, everything the American broadcasts would cringe at in terms of kids shows having it. In fact, someone on Serebiiforums dispelled that rumor a long time ago, and he's a master at Japanese. As soon as Dogasu publishes the Redone "Bye Bye Butterfree" comparison. You'll learn this completely, as well.

Still, yeah, Pidgeot and Primeape need to come back. I don't know if Butterfree would need to be brought back onto the main cast, but they could visit. Or heck, maybe they could've had Butterfree, it's mate, and maybe their kids be at Oak's place making a home there.
    Its not that I think that...its just a common fact that butterflies die after mating, so I thought since Pokemon sort of replace normal animals (not all- I know fish are in it), well...you get it.

Oh, and lets not forget Lapras...though it appeared once. But I think its unfair how they keep doing the same old thing with Charizard- having him appear at random times to help Ash battle, and it has the same exact entrance too- and not have any of his former, much better Pokemon reappear.. Every time.
    AND THE OTHER POKEMON ASH LEAVES AT OAKS LAB. I mean, he drops them off their and goes to a new journey(seriously...after he did it the first time, it got old), its almost like they dont exist anymore.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • Butterfree is like RBY Giovanni: Once you say GTFO, it does.

Forever.

On a serious note, though, this has been debated a billion times (the general aspect of "Can we have such and such back pl0x"), and I'm going to have to respond to it in the same fashion as before:

Get over it.

I mean, I agree with redjacket in the fact that Charizard (and to a lesser extent Bulbasaur and Squirtle) reappearing is stupid; it creates favoritism among Ash's Pokemon and doesn't allow for much flavor in Ash's party choice. But given the choice between Bayleef and Sceptile, the choice is obvious.

The case of Pidgeot is easily debated and easily dissected. THAT was just plain stupid. At least with Butterfree, he let it go. With Pidgeot, he promised to return for it. We're still waiting, y'know...:#

Years
  • Butterfree is like RBY Giovanni: Once you say GTFO, it does.

Forever.

On a serious note, though, this has been debated a billion times (the general aspect of "Can we have such and such back pl0x"), and I'm going to have to respond to it in the same fashion as before:

Get over it.

I mean, I agree with redjacket in the fact that Charizard (and to a lesser extent Bulbasaur and Squirtle) reappearing is stupid; it creates favoritism among Ash's Pokemon and doesn't allow for much flavor in Ash's party choice. But given the choice between Bayleef and Sceptile, the choice is obvious.

The case of Pidgeot is easily debated and easily dissected. THAT was just plain stupid. At least with Butterfree, he let it go. With Pidgeot, he promised to return for it. We're still waiting, y'know...:#
    And Primeape? Pretty sure the guy promised to return it...or something along those lines. If I were Ash, I would be going on a hunt...can they make Amber Alerts for Pokemon? xD
    And yes, the Pidgeot thing is true, but also, we have to remember, both Butterfree and Pidgeot have obligations. Butterfree, to raise his children and provide for his family, and Pidgeot to protect the Pidgey and Pidgeotto of the area until the whole Spearow/Fearow issue is solved...but I would think that that would be solved by now, wouldnt you? Plus, whats stopping Pidgeot from flying over to Pallet during Ash's next vist and join back up with him?

Years
  • Its not that I think that...its just a common fact that butterflies die after mating, so I thought since Pokemon sort of replace normal animals (not all- I know fish are in it), well...you get it.

But here's the thing - that's not a canon statement at all. There's not a shred of evidence outside of EP021 to back that up, and the early anime episodes are notorious for their dodgy translations and baffling edits/errors. I mean, cripes, they were still making fundamental errors at the end of the first Kanto episodes - Professor Ivy was mentioned by Oak in EP081, except she was referred to as male. And, of course, there are the mistakes that were being made even in Hoenn. No one can really use the dub anime as evidence for anything in the Pokémon fandom. =/

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Yeah cause of 4KIDS i spent 3 hours trying to evolve it for christ sake!
    Anyway butterfree is dead in my books. You should be more focused on pidgeot. I really want that to happen as he said e would return for it someday.

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
    Years
  • I don't have much trouble with Ash Pokemon leaving and the same goes for Butterfree. Pidgeot is living in a forest near Pallet Town so one would say it wouldn't be much of a trouble for Ash to pay a visit. I remember that there was a lot of commotion when a trailer of the 10th movie was released with Ash on a Pidgeot's flying out of Alamos Town, but I digress.

If the writers decide that a Pokemon should be leaving than it will leave.
    If that didn't happend, Ash would probably still be traveling with initial team. The anime would have even less development than it already has.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Butterfree was in the opening Spurt!, so it's not forgotten, the writers just don't feel the need to bring it back

Years
  • Squirtle is in Squirtle Squad and keeping his teammates in order. He became tired of fighting and decided to fall back into working instead, the only area where he could shine. In his mind, he's outclassed by the other of Ash's pokémon.

And Charizard realized that Ash never could give him the training that he needed at his level and went to the Charrific Valley to train and to become stronger. I mean, after that he actually held his own against an Articuno. How's that for an improvement? Also, there were Charizard chicks to hang out with, which is something that Ash never could offer him. He just leaves the Valley to help Ash out whenever he feels for some action.
    I'm fine with all your other statements, but not these two. First of all, Squirtle was a good fighter, though he sort of disappeared before he actually left.

And correction- Ash left Charizard in the Charsific(sp?) Valley, not the other way around.

But here's the thing - that's not a canon statement at all. There's not a shred of evidence outside of EP021 to back that up, and the early anime episodes are notorious for their dodgy translations and baffling edits/errors. I mean, cripes, they were still making fundamental errors at the end of the first Kanto episodes - Professor Ivy was mentioned by Oak in EP081, except she was referred to as male. And, of course, there are the mistakes that were being made even in Hoenn. No one can really use the dub anime as evidence for anything in the Pokémon fandom. =/
    Pssh, I never paid much attaention to the Hoenn episodes after Pokemon Advanced to notice that, just enough to get what the plot of the episode was...that was the point where it turned to crap. Though we have Pokemon USA to blame for that- ever since 4Kids split from Viz, it turned to crap and just before that happened they gave the rights to PUSA. I can't belive I'm about to say this, but I think 4kids did a good job, but only with the first 50-something episodes.

Last edited:

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • It doesn't matter if Butterfree comes back or not. As Jorah already pointed out, the writers haven't forgot about it, it's just that there is no point in bringing it back to return.

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
  • I miss Butterfree.
    I know that Ash let Butterfree go because it was in love and whatnot, but it still makes me kind of mad because Butterfree had a lot of firsts for Ash. It was the first Pokemon that he captured, and his first Pokemon to evolve. It doesn't necessarally have to come back to Ash's team, but it would be nice maybe for it to show up in an episode so they can be all "omg it's been forever what's going on!" XD
    But, it would probably just end up being a horrible filler episode, and there is no need to bring Butterfree back. But it still saddens me.

As for Pidgeot.. again, it was the second Pokemon Ash ever caught.. (I guess if it were me there'd be too much sentimental value to let my Pokemon go.. XP) and he did tell Pidgeot just to stay and protect it's fellow Pidgey and Pidgeotto until Ash got back from the Orange Islands. And when he mentioned it in the episode he faces Falkner, and says "one day I hope to see my old friend again".
    Well, Ash.. it's not that hard. Just go out of Pallet Town and see it. That's where it is. RIGHT outside of Pallet Town.

As for Primape, Ash didn't have it very long, and Ash pretty much never used it except in the episode he released it, and Primape didn't even like Ash until that episode only because Ash did his usual "My Pokemon is falling I have to catch it and save it! O_O" routine. Primape and Ash didn't really mesh well as far as I'm concerned, and it's probably doing splendidly with Anthony.

I dunno.. for the most part, I don't really agree with releasing Pokemon, only because I think it would be pointless to put so much effort into raising the Pokemon if you're just going to release it, and it would seem such a waste to just.. let it go.
    But the person also has to think about the Pokemon and what it is that they need, and what it is that they want most.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020

Wait, I thought Ash also said something similar to Butterfree as well (You know, the whole thing about Butterfree being on a Trip and that he'll be back someday.).

Its not that I think that...its just a common fact that butterflies die after mating, so I thought since Pokemon sort of replace normal animals (not all- I know fish are in it), well...you get it.

It's also a common fact that Rodents don't last very long, either, and yet, Ash's Pikachu has lived for quite a long time. In fact, possibly longer than 4-5 years, considering Professor Oak keeping it in a Pokeball for who knows how long.

Besides, they also showed real-life bugs in the show (Remember, Pidgeotto was seen eating a Worm in it's debut.)

Years
  • I know, I tried to be funny, that's all :) Squirtle could hold his own against huge beasts like Nidoking, right?

I thought it was the other way around for Charizard, since he stayed in the water for so long to become accepted and stronger as an adversary against that other great "Leader Charizard", whilst Team Rocket were rooting for him. I guess I got it wrong then :P
    Sure, Charizardwanted to become strong, but look up the episode where Ash left it. Ash left it there because he thought Charizard was happy there and he left it...and if you watch the very end, Charizard wasnt exactly happy when Ash said this and just ran off.

I miss Butterfree.
    I know that Ash let Butterfree go because it was in love and whatnot, but it still makes me kind of mad because Butterfree had a lot of firsts for Ash. It was the first Pokemon that he captured, and his first Pokemon to evolve. It doesn't necessarally have to come back to Ash's team, but it would be nice maybe for it to show up in an episode so they can be all "omg it's been forever what's going on!" XD
    But, it would probably just end up being a horrible filler episode, and there is no need to bring Butterfree back. But it still saddens me.

As for Pidgeot.. again, it was the second Pokemon Ash ever caught.. (I guess if it were me there'd be too much sentimental value to let my Pokemon go.. XP) and he did tell Pidgeot just to stay and protect it's fellow Pidgey and Pidgeotto until Ash got back from the Orange Islands. And when he mentioned it in the episode he faces Falkner, and says "one day I hope to see my old friend again".
    Well, Ash.. it's not that hard. Just go out of Pallet Town and see it. That's where it is. RIGHT outside of Pallet Town.

As for Primape, Ash didn't have it very long, and Ash pretty much never used it except in the episode he released it, and Primape didn't even like Ash until that episode only because Ash did his usual "My Pokemon is falling I have to catch it and save it! O_O" routine. Primape and Ash didn't really mesh well as far as I'm concerned, and it's probably doing splendidly with Anthony.

I dunno.. for the most part, I don't really agree with releasing Pokemon, only because I think it would be pointless to put so much effort into raising the Pokemon if you're just going to release it, and it would seem such a waste to just.. let it go.
    But the person also has to think about the Pokemon and what it is that they need, and what it is that they want most.
    Ash didnt want to...if you think about it, he had a good reason for all of them, even if the way he left Charizard was a bit cruel. Its not like he's Paul and says 'Your useless, get out of my face' and releases it.

Wanna know something funny? I was seven years old when they first showed Ash release his Butterfree, and you know what I did? Cry. Yes, I cried. Add the sad music, the flash backs, and the emotions of a seven year old, and yeah. Pathetic, but like I said, seven years old at the time.

Last edited:
    Back