• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

C - Is for Cookie! (Gen 3 - Adv OU)

dresden_88

Warden
Years
  • Hi guys, it's me again!!!
    so, in my adventures playing online (over on PO), i have been beat down, beat up, and thrown a fair number of punches back and even gotten a few victories along the way. with that said, i may have found what appears to be a more interesting team than what i am personally used to or comfortable with, and have had rather good results. i even got a few people to forfeit the match due to the sheer tenacity and staying power of my team. without further adieu, here is my latest creation! tell me what you think, and be honest (rate it too if you'd care to, it'd mean lots to me!)

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Explosion
    - Toxic

Aerodactyl (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Rock Head
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Hidden Power [Flying]
    - Double-Edge

Vaporeon (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Surf
    - Toxic

Miltank (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 220 HP / 192 Atk / 96 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Curse
    - Milk Drink
    - Heal Bell
    - Body Slam

Salamence (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 24 Atk / 232 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Fire Blast
    - Brick Break
    - Rock Slide

Gengar (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Taunt
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Punch
    - Toxic

Team Mechanics Thus Far:
    i always open with forretress to drop down some spikes to get the ball rolling, so far, very few things can stop this oversized ball of metal, nothing short of fire-blast from a special sweeper, or an overly swords-danced brick-break seems to crack it (i'm quite pleased). if i can get the timing right, i turn the spiker into a hand-grenade with Explosion!!! BOOM! if the numbers work in my favour (through sheer endurance) i have enough power to OHKO damned near everything, which is quite nice.
    so this guy fits the opener slot nicely.

for my anti-suicune and anti-bulkies, i run vaporeon, literally to just counter the hell out of it into a stalemate. to take a bit of wind out of their sails, vapo sports Toxic (they will run out of those damned rests eventually right?). but wait, there's more!

straight out of the depths of hell is my dear pal Gengar. i use this one to counter a few major inconveniences, i find it fun to disrupt the flow of combat and occasional perish trapper with taunt and Tbolt (pisses my brother off severely). also does well to eliminate other bulkies or walls with toxic as well!

my rather evil moo-cow of a support has proven herself too :D
    i run a curse-cow with miltalk to up her survival and use her as a glorified version of blissey by running heal-bell and milk-drink for survival. the cursed up, stabbed up body-slam does wonders after a while in eliminating even the bulkiest of non-ghosts ^_^

lastly, there are my sweepers! MuUhUhhuhuahahahaha!!!
    i use a choice-banded aerodactyl that doubles as a sweeper and a revenge-killer due to it's overwhelming speed and attack power, and i run a mixed-sweeper salamence with HP-Grass in the event of things like swampert daring to show their ugly muddy faces.

so far, the team has proven quite aggressive and fairly durable. i digress, i will continue to refuse to actually use LEGENDARY pokemon, regardless of what tier they are, and regardless of "how much they can help the team". with that simple fact in mind, i ask you guys and girls of Pokecommunity. can you make any recommendations on my team, or have any general opinion of how it is or might be?

thanks again!
    dresden_88 OUT!

cheers! :D

Last edited:

Dark Phantom Samurai

Finesse & Perfection
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    Its seems capable of staying in a match longer than most teams. '
    But if you bring fortress out first most of the time, be careful though if a player decides to use your fortress to set-up, particularly with steel types.

It really seems that your team is set-up to take hits and effectively counter-attack and diminish most threats.

There are flaws and weak points but that's with everyone's teams. It seems setup to handle most opposition, with only so many Pokemon to name that i could see to effectively counter you, its quite the team indeed.

If you want a rating, it depends on what you want me to rate.
    though just from the spur of the moment how bout a:
    6.5/10? But that's just me.

dresden_88

Warden
    Years
  • would it be smarter to open with gengar, or is there something better that you could suggest that i open with?

also, thank you for your insightful comment and overall feedback, getting someone to respond this quickly and informatively means quite a lot :)

(do you think giving gengar fire-punch in place of ice-punch and then switching it to opener might be a better idea in case of steel-type openers from my opponents?)

Last edited:

Dark Phantom Samurai

Finesse & Perfection
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    It really depends on your preference. It would be good for steel types making him have fire punch, but then you would lose that already good cover of an ice and electric offensive move, besides your Salamence has fire blast. It should be quick enough to get a fire blast in to knock them down before they have a chance to strike back. Most steel types aren't particularly quick unless they use stat modifiers.

Of course then again I'm not familiar with your gengars attack stat though from the nature and EVs you provided it doesn't seem expectionally high, but based on my Experience with one, i remember it had fairly low attack. It will be unwise to use a fire punch on the average steel type with already high defense, with Gengars low attack stat. However I would keep Gengars original set, and keep forretress at the front line. Countering one or two players steel types will jeopardise your victory over ten or twenty who won't. But again it is your team, and your choice :)

dresden_88

Warden
    Years
  • so, after getting a few more battles in with (C - Is for Cookie!), that i will use gengar and forretress as rotational openers based on situational needs.

Years
  • lead forretress is strong for ho,,, loses to taunt skarm w/ friends,, lead mag(tho not common,,) and ghey stuff like sd heracross etc. run eq>toxic to hit hp fire mag for the ko,, which is smart since u dont have dug o_O. hp bug is an option to spike vs starmie, and hp ghost to hit gengar,, choose ur pick.

dont use hp grass on that mence, toxic is better o_O toxic cripples milo,,,and u beat pert eventually anyway,,(except for rest swamp but theyre aids .__.)

dont use miltank use celebi or bliss,, dont use toxic on gengar,, giga drain or dbond is superior,,

how do u plan to beat sandstall/lastmon curselax/jabbacune etc? o_O

dresden_88

Warden
    Years
  • first off, before you start commenting, you need to read EVERYTHING and make a salient point rather than spouting random stuff such as which pokemon to use, etc, etc. also, you need to explain stuff as what they are rather than poke-slang since i've stated in previous posts, i'm new to this, ergo, i have no freaking idea what you're talking about. what the hell is jabbacune for example?

as for the suggested movesets, i've realized a few hiccups regarding forretress and have the intention of running earthquake over toxic to drop magneton. i've discovered VERY quickly how problematic magneton is for my team, and to be quite honest, forcing a mutual "trapping" with forretress as bait will help reduce the issue. i'm also considering the idea of running subs on forretress to help avoid thunderwave for a brief advantage.

i digress, please provide full and complete thoughts if you're going to help me, because the terminology you are using might as well be another language :(

Dark Phantom Samurai

Finesse & Perfection
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    so, after getting a few more battles in with (C - Is for Cookie!), that i will use gengar and forretress as rotational openers based on situational needs.
    Good Choice! :)

And a sub on a forretress will most certainly be effective in lots of scenarios. But what move to you plan on dropping?

dresden_88

Warden
    Years
  • Hmm, I am not too knowledgeable about adv, but miltank seems like it might be an inferior curse snorlax. Its cool if you like lesser used pokes but snorlax may be worth a try in miltanks spot. Also this link may help as an introduction to adv

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/past-gens-resource-archive-ii.3509218/#post-5522690

Good luck!

i considered using snorlax, but i realized that i will have to make a tough decision with having or not having a cleric for this team. i didn't want to run blissey as a cleric in this instance because i wanted something a little more unique and different. but i will have to give it more consideration, since i've seen enough teams at this point, that do not even use a cleric, and they do extremely well.

[edit]
    so after giving it some thought, i am going to consider the transition from miltank over to snorlax and see how that works. additionally, i am heavily considering dropping salamence for tyranitar. i will try some battles to test the viability for this one in particular. i like the idea of dropping a 4x weakness to ice and a 2x weakness to rock.

any other thoughts?

thanks again guys!

Last edited:

Dark Phantom Samurai

Finesse & Perfection
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    Be careful if you're going to replace Salamance for Tyraintar. Of course you will lose the vulnerability to 4x ice and 2x rock, but tyraintar comes with much more weaknessess than salamance does. Seven of them in total. You could say that you would of replaced salamance's 4x ice weakness with tyraintar's 4x vulnerability to fighting and of course his weakness to dragon and rock with tyraintars weaknesses to: Ground,Bug,Steel,Water,Grass and Fairy types. In edition you already have two members of your team that are resistant to ice. {Forretress and Vaporeon} But still considering that tyraintar has some good resistances too.

I strongly suggest that you stay with salamance on this one. But again your choice :)

dresden_88

Warden
    Years
  • once again, foruma_grande, you've proven to be (from a beginner's perspective) once more, a great source of wisdom. thanks a bunch for that train of thought regarding salamence and tyranitar. it is given me quite a deal to take into consideration. sometimes that whole "less is more" thing can be really important, and yet again, i think you're greatly on to something big with this one. not precisely what in the hell i was thinking, having just the...what....3 weaknesses for salamence, i'd be gaining an additional 4 with tyranitar. i should probably yank tyranitar back out of the team and keep tinkering with the potential it currently holds in original form.

thanks again for the insight :)

cheers!

Years
  • Be careful if you're going to replace Salamance for Tyraintar. Of course you will lose the vulnerability to 4x ice and 2x rock, but tyraintar comes with much more weaknessess than salamance does. Seven of them in total. You could say that you would of replaced salamance's 4x ice weakness with tyraintar's 4x vulnerability to fighting and of course his weakness to dragon and rock with tyraintars weaknesses to: Ground,Bug,Steel,Water,Grass and Fairy types. In edition you already have two members of your team that are resistant to ice. {Forretress and Vaporeon} But still considering that tyraintar has some good resistances too.

I strongly suggest that you stay with salamance on this one. But again your choice :)

not all of ttars weaknesses are relevant. i'd say only the water and ground weakness, maybe the grass one, are the ones that actually come into play. also, fairy-types dont exist here. an ice-resistance isnt superimportant, a neutrality to boltbeam is much more important, as most ice moves are un-STABed and usually are just somewhat weak hp ice/ice punches from stuff like raikou, zapdos, gengar, whatever. Ttars normal and ghost resist is really nice in terms of checking lax. mence can check heracross though, while not really common, it rapes ttar hard.

Back