• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

C# Pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2009
    Hey all.

My name's Redcard, and I'm working on a XNA / C# engine for "Pokemon." It'll be basically something that you'll add custom code around, some XML files, some resources, and there ya go.

That's the plan, at least. But.. in the interim, I'm curious what generation I should go for? Part of me says that starting with Gen 1 and releasing that will be a good option for me, since I can develop incrementally.. the other part says that going straight to four will offer me the ability to be more customizable.. and then the third part (whew!) suggests that a hybrid of both methods would be neato :)

The end goal of this wouldn't necessarily be a game, so much as a platform, much like the current starter kit... but of course, I'll make a game alongside it to test things.

What you'll see out of me soonish will be more or less parts and chunks. You'll see things like a "battle simulator" a la Shoddy.. and maybe a Pokemon app that'll let you quickly define and enter Pokemon into the XML files, and what not.. and then an engine that'll let you wander around, talk to others.

And then one day, it'll be complete, and there ya go :)

So.. good to be here, this should be fun, and I now have a bunch of requirements to write ;)

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2009
    Well, when I say first generation, I mean not just the 151, but also the limited moves, the DV's , and what not. But yeah, that seems like a good starting point.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2020
    Make your own pokedex from all the generations and maybe select abilities and movesets from all the gens.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2009
    The end goal will be that I don't have to do anything of that sort.. that you can input moves and pokemon into a program and produce your data files that will contain what you want.

When I speak of generations, I speak of features for that generation.. for example, breeding , poffins, hold items, contests, etc.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Several features have levels to them. For instance, breeding's pre-step is a simple daycare centre, so that can be expanded upon. Held items (I imagine) can be added later, after you've gotten the pokémon handling sorted (although I doubt including held items from the off wouldn't be that much harder).

I would suggest a PokéNav-type device, accessible from the pause menu, to which you can add new features whenever you want. Map, phone, berry map, etc. etc.

In short, take the best bits from all over the place, and smush them together. Find ways to allow expansion on your features, and work on that basis.

And please do not clone the existing games. This is your creation, so make it how you want it to be. For example, all the screens were designed that way because they're for a small screen, but you have the luxury of a really big one. Spread things out, include more detail, that kind of thing.

And ignore Contests. I never cared for them. :P

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2009

The neat thing about C# is that I can design this.. then I can just extend where I want to. It's spiffy like that.

I think what I'll do is start iteratively , at generation one features. Get that working, and possibly make a little tech demo from it. Then, I'll tack on features that I like / want in Pokemon games, and move forward from there.

The end goal for this will be a system that can be used to generate basically any tile based RPG game where you have assets/monsters who fight. What is done with the code outside the base Pokemon systems I provide will be on the coder.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Starting at the first Generation is a nice idea, but don't be too serious about it. Use modern (or your own!) mechanics where you can, rather than trying to get DVs and the Exp All working (poor examples, but you know what I mean, I hope).

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2009
    I'm going to play alone for the time being.. but I'll get my code out quickly once it gets moving :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2009
    i have been trying to do a dumbed down version for a course at school, but im having a lot of trouble, any chance you could help?

Back