• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Calling all evil geniuses

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 25, 2023
    Where are all the gals and guys from this section who don't like following rules? (and why don't you have a hidden lair/mad scientist laboratory subforum?????)

I'm just curious if there's anyone who uses their tech savvy-ness for some.. lesser than heroic intentions. Whether it be simple pranks on your friends, or to the extent of this Game Theorist video I've linked below, I want to hear about some of your misdeeds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flannery Lue

Soul Sister
    Years
  • Well... uh. <.<
    Yes... but, no. Not really.
    Not really 'hacking', because I'm not intelligent. My brother (Not my real brother...) asked me to build him a computer, because he was going to move out, and rent his own place; so I said sure. He's 43 years old, and he has an extremely disgusting habit of Smoking. I can't stand the smell of it. So, I dug up some old legacy parts, and built him a revamped Dell Dimension E510. I added 4GB of Ram, an old Prescott 2M Extreme Edition CPU @3.8GHz, and an EVGA Nvidia GTX 550 Ti. To spite the build slightly, I stuck a 450watt PSU in, when it needed at least a 750watt PSU to function at proper capacity.

I then added an old 80GB HDD, and installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit on it. Once I set all that up, I went to the 'Task Scheduler', and made it so that if he tried to open Internet Explorer, or FireFox, Windows would spam-open the System32 folder, and other random folders I picked out. I left Chrome alone, because it's my favourite browser. >.>

---

On a side note, you forgot a part:

"The night is dark and full of terrors ...but the fire burns them all away."
    Nice to see a fellow game of thrones fan. =)

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I ROM Hack
    That video is quite sensationalist. I saw Barnaby Jack's presentation and I love how this video just reduces his amazing work to "a few internet tricks". People seem to love fear mongering, so these sorts of videos always seek to make hacks seem worse than they actually are. Anyway, security (mostly in proprietary software) is often laughably weak. I've done quite a bit of embedded hacking and often the hardest part of breaking into systems is finding and extracting the firmware image. I particularly love devices that expose web services, like those IP cameras and those WiFi-enabled SD cards. They are trivially broken into because of the terrible security practises of the developers. This is a major reason why I am so distrustful of proprietary software: code review is left to the company selling the software and is often poorly done. In addition to this, I make a lot of websites, so I obviously have to be fairly familiar with web security. You wouldn't believe how many websites are still vulnerable to XSS and CSRF attacks. In fact, many router configuration portals are, and I've successfully used that to steal WiFi passwords and other "secure" things.

Back