• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Campus Greek Life

Would you join Greek life at college/university?

• Total voters

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    So I recently joined a Fraternity at my new university. I am a transfer so it was a good way to make friends. I figured this would be an interesting poll to see if anyone:

A: Has joined a fraternity,sorority, or honor society?
    B. Would you join Greek life?

I sold my soul and have. XD

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    A: Has joined a fraternity,sorority, or honor society?

Nope

B. Would you join Greek life?

Nope

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
    Well it does sound like a great way to get to know people and make new friends. ^^" I probably would if I had the opportunity. Right now, I am in High School, and we get offered other various clubs. I participate in a handful of them, and recently I applied for National Honor Society, but unfortunately I did not get in. As for the Greek thing, I am not very familiar with them, so I'll be honest and say I probably would not join that. xD;

Bay

Years
    I have friends that joined a fraternity or sorority and they said it took up a lot of their time and also there are a couple hazings here and there. >.> Not only that, they were tired of the immaturity of some of the members. Yeah, a fraternity and a sorority is a good way to be more social and perphaps gain some leadership skills, but...from what I saw at my university, the sororities have the preppy girls and the fraternities have guys that likes to get drunk. @_@ Nothing against yours Akio, but this is how I see it from my university. XD

Yeah, didn't joined one and won't considering I'm in my last year of uni. Part of the reason is I work and another reason is I want to get some time to study since I'm not the type of person that likes to party every day and skip class just to gain some sleep. Also, sororities and fraternities aren't the only ways to be social. Make some friends from your dorm, class, apartment, clubs is another way to be more social.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Never heard of these things but reading into it as far as I will I remember seeing such memes on countless television shows and no it doesn't look good to nor for me.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    The kind of guy that joins a fraternity is not the kind of guy I want to make friends with.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'd be interested to participate in RUSH week when I enter college as I would like to get to know the Greek system. I can't really give a definite answer to that, though, seeing as how I don't know what the Greek life is about. I mean, you can only learn so much from the television shows you watch and not all that is accurate (as much as I'd like to believe) and does the topic justice, so...

I guess it depends on how I feel during RUSH week. But, as of now, if I were offered the chance to join a fraternity, I would take the invitee up on their offer. Just to see what its like.

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    Can I clarify some things?
    Fraternities and Sororities are not about partying; that is kind of the media creating stereotypes again. The media seems to focus on two aspects with fraternities and sororities; hazing and partying. They never focus on the philanthropy, friendship, alumni benefits after college, the cheaper housing, the positions it can put you in the future.

Years
    I get wanting to belong to a group and have friends, but I don't see the need for it to be so rigid and traditional and arbitrarily divided along gender lines. Everything that Akio says you can do with a fraternity you can also do without one, at least at my school you can.

Maybe if I were planning to become one of the cigar-smoking, backroom deal-making, secret hand-shaking business elite I'd feel different, but I'm not so I don't.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    I'm a sophomore in college and I can safely say that Greek life is not for me, based on some of the frats I've been to =/

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    I get wanting to belong to a group and have friends, but I don't see the need for it to be so rigid and traditional and arbitrarily divided along gender lines. Everything that Akio says you can do with a fraternity you can also do without one, at least at my school you can.

Maybe if I were planning to become one of the cigar-smoking, backroom deal-making, secret hand-shaking business elite I'd feel different, but I'm not so I don't.
    You make it sound like I want to brainwash everyone into joining a Fraternity of a Sorority. XD

I get what your saying though. I was honestly skeptical, but I said what the hell during rush and ended up getting a bid, pledged, and was initiated. For the record I forgot my secret handshake. XD

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
    I didn't feel the need to do it in college, I was parts of other orgs., and I was a commuter. Plus I didn't feel like getting busted by the undercovers and taking a perp walk underage when I was in college. No thank you.

The College I went to has issues with the local population and vice versea. We've had at least three Greek's raided in the last two year.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    Urgh. Sororities/fraternities/whatever are so immature. Just grab yourself a geat bunch of friends and hang out with them instead. -.-

We don't have them so much in England, but we have a couple on my campus and all they do is get drunk, take drugs and beat up random strangers and, in doing so, make a bad name for our university. BBC News actually busted our Rugby one because their hazings included putting plastic bags over new members' heads, hitting them in the stomach and making them walk down the street with their underwear around their ankles and beating up whoever declined to do so. Which sounds hilarious, until you consider how terrified these guys were and how desperate they were to belong to something that they'd even humiliate themselves in such a way. It sickens me, it really does. Fraternities are just an excuse for brain-dead drunken morons to make themselves feel big, like school bullies. :/

/opinion

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    The kind of guy that joins a fraternity is not the kind of guy I want to make friends with.

Even though I don't associate myself with the Greek life, I personally think this post comes off as offensive to anyone who is a part of it. It's just like saying "The kind of guy that plays Pokemon is not the kind of guy I want to make friends with." The crowd one chooses to associate themselves with does not reflect on their character; this is an annoying, immature high school mentality and I wish everyone in the world would grow up out of this godforsaken way of plundering people into ridiculous stereotypes that account for virtually nobody.

In regards to Greek life, the OP and I are very good friends and he has discussed the benefits of it, which makes it seem like an interesting opportunity. Yes, there are the pitfalls of the typical fraternity; people join on the basis of what they know about Greek life, which is what's portrayed in the media; a bunch of preppy/jocky overtanned guidos getting laid and wasted. But when you look outside the narrow-minded view of the media and see that Greek life is more than its stereotype, you see that it becomes less about parties and girls and more about a unit, and the educational benefits of joining a fraternity.

I mean, I used to think the same as 90% of the people who've posted in this thread; "eww, parties where people get stupidly drunk, nothx"; but Akio here has shown me that it's more than that. I know it's easy for some to discredit Greek life based on the people who are a part of it, but in general, it as a whole can really benefit your college experience (And no, I don't mean the amount of women you sleep with.)

Still, even taking it into consideration, I have to say I wouldn't join. I've had my share of being the oddball of the group, and I can safely say I'd feel out of place there. I'd like the benefits it provides, but it's money I can spend on more worthwile pursuits, and I just wouldn't fit in.

Besides, I'm gay; so I can't say the women are an attractive prospect for Greek life. I don't think I could handle being hit on by drunk women, since I have in the past and it was...uncomfortable. >_>

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    Like again, I understand everyone's opinion. I get that partying and that is not for everyone, but honestly it seems like everyone seems to think that people in Greek life are the only ones who have parties. I mean it's college, there are parties everywhere. I was part of two anti-drinking groups in my old university and both elective board members were all active drinkers. I mean acting as if everyone in a fraternity is a drunken over privileged jerk jock is an unfair assessment of an enormous group of people. I work two jobs so that I have spending cash and the reason why I am so inactive in most activities is due to the fact that I am so busy with school work, jobs, and the theater.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    My parents both were Greek and even cooler; their frat/sorority were brother and sister :P
    I would only join my mother's sorority!
    But they aren't at my school so I guess I'm joining the graduate chapter....ho hum.

Last edited:
    Back