• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Can D/P Auto Update?

Hippo

Cookie MOnster
Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2007
    Simple enough... Can D/P auto update?
    Supposing Nintendo made changes to the game, could they connect through WiFi to get the patch or is it not do-able by the games?

Thanks

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    As far as I'm concerned, no. Wi-Fi's just used for online gameplay. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but currently no DS game gets updates through the web, with the exception of Animal Crossing, which you can receive letters by Nintendo, but that's all you get from them at the moment, I believe.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    As far as I'm concerned, no. Wi-Fi's just used for online gameplay. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but currently no DS game gets updates through the web, with the exception of Animal Crossing, which you can receive letters by Nintendo, but that's all you get from them at the moment, I believe.

It's way out there, which is why I'm not surprised you didn't mention it, but Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship 2007 has the ability to download banlists and new card sets from online.

But the chances of something like this happening with Pokemon Diamond/Pearl is slim. There isn't that much to update, is there?

Years
  • Well, they could update to make the 3 legendary events happen without making people come to an event. Who knows, though?

Perhaps give out random items on random days, kinda like what they do in animal crossing.

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
  • I think a Gamestop somewhere held a promotional event where they were giving out Member's Cards (for the Darkrai event) via the Wi-Fi network in the store.

Flameguru

Pokemon: Metallic Silver
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    It's very possible to update the Game via Wifi. Pokemon D/P are stored on a 64 MB Flash Chip inside of the Nintendo DS Gaem Card. Only about 50 MB of that is used, and since Nintendo made the whole card thing, they probably know how to access the Flash chip and write code to it very easily. Also, The save game itself contains the Pokemon, Event Flags, Items, Trainer Types, and all Records.

To put it simply, Yes, Nintendo can update the Diamond/Pearl Game.

Hippo

Cookie MOnster
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2007
    It's very possible to update the Game via Wifi. Pokemon D/P are stored on a 64 MB Flash Chip inside of the Nintendo DS Gaem Card. Only about 50 MB of that is used, and since Nintendo made the whole card thing, they probably know how to access the Flash chip and write code to it very easily. Also, The save game itself contains the Pokemon, Event Flags, Items, Trainer Types, and all Records.

To put it simply, Yes, Nintendo can update the Diamond/Pearl Game.

So the DS (guess its not a gameboy anymore) has the capability to write the code if its sent to it via wifi?
    The cards are only 64 MB...? I read that they were like 1GB.

I doubt they will add new pokemon, as they would rather you buy a new game for a story line or something.

I was thinking if they would be able to release bug fixes or something, if some big bug was to be known. Or release stuff to take out little periods of stall-ness during battles. (I read that thats what people complain about most)

Thanks for the info! Hopefully the Darkrai events will be over Wifi.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    So the DS (guess its not a gameboy anymore) has the capability to write the code if its sent to it via wifi?
    The cards are only 64 MB...? I read that they were like 1GB.

I doubt they will add new pokemon, as they would rather you buy a new game for a story line or something.

I was thinking if they would be able to release bug fixes or something, if some big bug was to be known. Or release stuff to take out little periods of stall-ness during battles. (I read that thats what people complain about most)

Thanks for the info! Hopefully the Darkrai events will be over Wifi.

DS Cartridges CAN go up to even more than 2GB, seeing as their shape is pretty similar to an SD Card. It's just that games don't take over 100MB.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
  • ok...=O
    lets say:
    -GF makes a new pokemon game for the DS set in the johto region
    -in this game they'd add evolutions of some pokes (qwilfish etc) and put them at the end of the national dex, like they did in DP with new evos of older pokes

could the data for these new evos get downloaded on DP so you'd be able to trade between DP and "GS DS"?
    or even better, the data would be upgraded on DP with the first contact with a "GS DS" game....possible?

Senerio

Realist, not idealist
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2008
    DS Cartridges CAN go up to even more than 2GB, seeing as their shape is pretty similar to an SD Card. It's just that games don't take over 100MB.
    Wrong. Nintendo DS cards in Japan hold about 128 MB of data, and the confusion likely comes from the idea that currently-common DS card holds 1 Gbit of data (1 Gbit = 128 MB). The theoretical data it can have in it depends on the data access points the DS can utilise since the main unit itself only has 4 MB of RAM maintained by its battery. Just for your note, Diamond and Pearl in Japan are run on 128 MB cards, where the American copies run on 64 MB cards (512-bits).

Diamond and Pearl DS cards support 512 KB of data. That's sufficient for quite a few enhancements. Through the use of Mystery Gift, data such as events can be saved onto the DS card. Any actual updates don't seem to be possible in spaces the game doesn't utilise it, however, since the actual game data is stored on read-only memory. Only when the game calls for data on the flash game (like Mystery Gift data or simply your save data) will it utilise anything in it.

Basically, the ROM data can't be patched. Only when the game allows a portion to be accessed and written on as if part of the normal game will any updating mechanism be effective.

(And if you mention the Berry Patch used in Ruby and Sapphire, the correction is made in the save data and battery portion, which the game has many points in attempting to access.)

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Diamond and Pearl DS cards support 512 KB of data. That's sufficient for quite a few enhancements. Through the use of Mystery Gift, data such as events can be saved onto the DS card. Any actual updates don't seem to be possible in spaces the game doesn't utilise it, however, since the actual game data is stored on read-only memory. Only when the game calls for data on the flash game (like Mystery Gift data or simply your save data) will it utilise anything in it.

Basically, the ROM data can't be patched. Only when the game allows a portion to be accessed and written on as if part of the normal game will any updating mechanism be effective.

Thank You. But I think you all missed the REAL elephant of this discussion:

Ichida said:
    I think a Gamestop somewhere held a promotional event where they were giving out Member's Cards (for the Darkrai event) via the Wi-Fi network in the store.

...WHAT!!!!????????

martijn

HeartGold & Collosseum
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2016
    I think you can also note that there's a note at the beginning at the game: Game play may change during online play. (Dunno if that's on all the games, but it is on mine).

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I think you can also note that there's a note at the beginning at the game: Game play may change during online play. (Dunno if that's on all the games, but it is on mine).

That's on all the new Wi-Fi-compatible games...sort of the ESRB's way of covering for themselves, I guess.

Back