• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can Ghost Pokémon Die?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I have actually no idea. It sounds a bit silly that they would die, BUT - they are not ghosts really. They are pokémon with ghost attributes. Or so I like to think of them as, even though their pokédex entries sometimes let us believe otherwise.

So if I hold onto that interpretation, I'd say they can die. Like any pokémon.

Years
  • I have actually no idea. It sounds a bit silly that they would die, BUT - they are not ghosts really. They are pokémon with ghost attributes. Or so I like to think of them as, even though their pokédex entries sometimes let us believe otherwise.

So if I hold onto that interpretation, I'd say they can die. Like any pokémon.

I agree with you on this one. Ghost pokemon aren't actual ghosts, but they have abilities that are similar to ghosts. When Team Rocket killed Marowak, it's ghost was a Marowak, not a Gastly or anything else. Ghost types can also be born from eggs, so they are alive despite what the Pokedex states. I personally believe the Pokedex is a bunch of inaccuracies anyways, so the snippets of bannet being a discarded child's toy(even though it evolves from something else) are old wive's tales.

Pikayosh

Epic Pikachu
    Years
  • No actually because if you remember from the orange islands that ghost ship the ghost type pokemon didn't die and they were in their for centuries.

Golem Lord

Level 100 Golurk
    Years
  • Regarding being in there for centuries on the ghost ship, I'm not saying Ghost-type Pokémon have a natural lifespan in which they eventually die of age. I imagine that's a ghost-like quality they inherited. I mean can they die if they get physically hurt.

Guest123_x1

As Ghost-type Pokémon are living things, they can die, and I'm assuming that when they do, their matter disappears/evaporates into thin air, never to be seen again.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I think Ghost Pokemon can "die", but possibly come back...either that, or they're dead.

One example of this is Yamask, which it's said in its Pokedex entries that it's a dead person brought back to life, and that the mask attached to its body is in fact its old face.

I think Ghost Pokemon can die though, for they're not actually ghost-ghosts (I mean Marowak isn't Ghost-type, yet it became a ghost)...as Red said, they're not exactly ghosts, they have ghost-like attributes, so they must be like regular Pokemon.

Day Tripper

caught 'em all
    Years
  • that's a crazy question, but all we've seen happen is fainting. It may be left unanswered because Pokemon is aimed at kids.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • It is a really tough call To make. As it is aimed at children I don't think we'll ever get a conclusive and satisfactory answer To that, so It probably is just opinion.

Personally I think it could be a thing that they're living creatures with ghost-like qualities. If it were a thing that a Pokemon were To "die and become a gastly" as I'd always thought, why would you bury it or be as mournful? But then you have the Marowak ghost...

I think that there's a possibility that two distinctions can be made - a ghost, and a ghost type Pokemon. If all Pokemon can die then ghost types are no exception surely? And actual ghosts then don't die but are "laid To rest"?

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Hmm...I don't think all ghost-types are actual ghosts. The likes of Gengar etc. just have weird qualities that makes them best classified as ghosts. They can probably die. But Yamask is already dead - it carries its own face around - so therefore can't die, but is also not immortal either. How the hell it evolves when its dead...Arceus knows :P

I gotta be honest, thinking about it makes me think that even if Tajiri and Masuda gave us an answer, it would be unsatisfactory.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I personally believe the Pokedex is a bunch of inaccuracies anyways, so the snippets of bannet being a discarded child's toy(even though it evolves from something else) are old wive's tales.
    Yes, this I think too! The pokédex entries are in much old stories and tales about pokémon, like we have about some supernatural creatures. Or about dangerous or rare animals, mayhaps. These tales are not necessarily true; some might have been invented to keep children away from the forest at night etc.

So maybe a Yamask does not carry its own face. I'm not saying either is the truth since I don't know for sure, but I'd like to believe that they are living creatures and not actual ghosts.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    . I personally believe the Pokedex is a bunch of inaccuracies anyways, so the snippets of bannet being a discarded child's toy(even though it evolves from something else) are old wive's tales.

They aren't innacuracies because they aren't proven nor are they studied. Have you ever seen a researcher studying whether or not these "old wive's tales" are true? I haven't heard of a single one. If there had been one case, then let's just hope that the results aren't positive. Still, the Pokédex isn't really much of a reliable source of information since most of them has the phrase "it is believed that..." or something along those lines

Anyway, it's pretty silly to think that Ghost-type Pokémon are actually real ghosts. I've never heard of a ghost that came from an egg. They only have this certain characteristic that makes them appear or act like ghosts. Ghost-type Pokémon, much like every other Pokémon, can die.

Unless we're talking about ghost Pokémon (like the Marowak in the Pokémon tower). They can't die because they are already, well, dead.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
    Years
  • You know like how creatures like vampires are technically immortal but they can get killed? That's how Ghost Pokemon are. They don't die from old age or anything, but if you still decapitate them, they die.

Years
  • What about Banette? It is a doll taht was possessed... so i guess it's not really alive in the first place so no, I don't think Banette can die... Others might be able to.

Back