• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can someone help me with the start of a Pokemon Black and White Comic?

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2011
    I was wondering if anyone can help me come up with a cool and interesting way to begin my comic instead of the boring get a starter route. I want to do one like they do in the real manga but I'm terrible at coming up with ideas. If anyone could post a little detailed synopsis/parragraph about how it should start, how I should get my starter and what should my starter be, That would be great! Thank you so muchhhh!

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Here's an idea.

So the main character (we'll call her Raven Crystal Mysteria Alexander for now unless it's a guy, at which point we can call him Raven Chris Mysterio Alexander) is an ordinary boy/girl running late for school one day. He doesn't want to be late because he's always late, and everyone picks on him for it, including the overly mean and sarcastic teacher, Mr. Doofensmirtz. All of a sudden, Raven C.M. Alexander trips on something in the road. (S)he looks up to see a shiny Victini right there. The Victini says that Raven Chris Mysterio Alexander is the only one who can save his world, so he transports both himself and the main character smack in the middle of Pinwheel Forest.

All of a sudden, flocks of shiny Pokémon come in from everywhere and all beg to be Raven Crystal Mysteria Alexander's starter, and there's this huge battle royale between all of them until only a shiny Oshawott with the ability to telepathically communicate with Raven Crystal/Chris Mysteri(a/o) Alexander is left standing. But it's badly hurt, so Raven Whatever Whatever Alexander and Victini rush to Striaton City to get Oshawott (who will henceforth be named Dewy) to a Pokémon Center where Dewy and Victini (henceforth named Tom) both decide to be Raven Yada Yada Alexander's starters.

Then Team Plasma attacks the center exactly the same way Team Rocket does in the second episode of the anime, and Raven La La La, who has previously voiced no opinion about whether or not (s)he actually wants to be the Chosen One for Unova, decides to take it about zirself to fight the forces of evil.

Insert the rest of your story here.

And that's why you should never ask a forum full of snarky and/or shameless critics for ideas.

...But seriously, if you can't think of a beginning, chances are you won't be able to think of a middle or an ending, so it's really in your best interests to think hard about how to start your own story. Besides, we can't help you here because we have no idea what your comic is about, so we don't know what kind of beginning would be best for your story. For example, if your comic will be about Team Plasma taking over the world, maybe starting in medias res with the Plasma plot succeeding might be a good way to go. Alternatively, maybe it'd be better for the story to start with the main character thwarting a bunch of Plasma grunts if your story calls for that. But if it's not about Team Plasma taking over the world, then you could have a beginning that could involve anything. Ordinary kid eventually becoming a hero? Might be best to start off with a scene of the kid doing something ordinary.

And then, we know nothing about your characters themselves. I mean, if your main character came from a family that hates Pokémon or otherwise strictly forbade the protagonist from going on an adventure (like Bianca's family did), it'd be interesting to see how they got around that. The beginning ties the character's background to the present story, so even if your protagonist doesn't have a Bianca-like personal history, who your character is and where they came from will have a huge impact on what happens in your beginning.

Point is, the first part of your comic is the foundation to your story. Asking us to write a beginning for you is asking us to write the entire story for you. We can't do that because we have no idea what you had in mind, what floats your boat, and so forth. Instead, try this. Get a blank sheet of paper or open up a blank word processor document. Write down every idea that pops into mind. Once you find a story idea that you like, start asking questions about the steps you should take to get to the parts that popped into mind. Work backwards from the middle, and you'll find your beginning.

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2011
    I was thinking something like I steal a starter pokemon somehow and everyone thinks I'm bad but I actually go around fighting Team Plasma and later on I meet up with the good main character.

I know its kinda broad but does that help JX Valentine?

Can you help me come up with some details for that?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I know its kinda broad but does that help JX Valentine?

Can you help me come up with some details for that?

*motions to the entire second half of her post*

To clarify, if you can't come up with a beginning by yourself, how are you going to come up with a middle or an ending? Everything you do in the beginning needs to be suited towards your own ideas of where you want the story to go. Otherwise, it's not your story. You're basically asking us to write the entire thing for you.

Granted, you're a comic artist, but if you want this to be your own project (as in, you don't want to simply draw a comic based on someone else's story/collaborate with another person), you'll need to sit down and think of your own ideas. If you don't, you'll end up stuck with concepts you either can't use or don't want to work with later on down the line. What if I proposed details for the beginning of a romance fic (wherein the good main character and your self-insert fall in love), but you want to draw a hard sci-fi comic? What if I proposed that your character do something that's completely contrary to what you had in mind for your self-insert? (I could very easily have your character kill someone else or act like a jerk for the sake of the plot, and you might not want that to happen.) What if you want something to happen in the middle of the story, but everything that we give you now means there's no way you can fit it in? Every last piece of a story, if you want it to be coherent (as in, if you want the story to make sense and if you don't want to end up getting stuck for ideas smack in the middle of it) and something you'll enjoy working on, needs to be your own, not ideas we come up with for you.

Or in other words, the short answer to your questions are "no."

Back