• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can we be clear? Blue vs. Green F

What do we call the Female Gen 1 trainer here?

• Green

Votes: 27 43.5%
  • Blue

Votes: 35 56.5%

• Total voters

shadowmoon

The Fresh Snow Trainer
Years
  • in the beginning, i called her green. but now i call her blue.blue seems to fit better. blue to me sounds more girly and her eyes are blue. everyone else's eye color matches their names, why not her's too? also, the mewtoo joke about fire red and leaf GREEN because red's and green's(m) starters were traded. the joke won't work if blue's name was green.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Lol, the joke doesn't work in the Chuang Yi scans...I kinda hope Viz cut it out....

I used to call her Blue, often do, but due to the games and my own actual copies calling the male Blue, I'm slowly swaying towards calling her Green.

The Dream

I know I let you down...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2011
    Ironically, Blue is a symbol of calm and conservativeness, and Green is a symbol of something fresh and new, something that flies over most peoples' heads when they think Green is a guy colour and Blue is a girl colour. Their personality matches the opposite colours of what the Japanese creators have given them, and I think it's perfectly valid to the female as Green and the male as Blue.

That said, I think Green is male, and Blue is female. Even though I did read the pokemon special when I was younger, I distinctly remember me going "This is wrong, the Japanese version had them mixed up," (I read alot of magazines on Pokemon, and I remembered one article mentioning that.) My own opinion.

Clover Cat

Child of Gold and Crystal
    Years
  • Blue has blue eyes. Green has green eyes. La-di-dah, the world goes round, what a nice day it is.

Meanwhile, the translators of Viz will go about their edits and cuts of lewd behavior that children are clearly too young to cope with and hope that no one will expect them to get to the FireRed/LeafGreen arc before they move on to some other project (because, after all, Pokemon isn't that popular anyway, silly readers). >.>

Honestly, I'm more curious as to why the parents of these kids (if they even exist, in some cases) decided to name their children after the colors of their irises. I mean, talk about a running gag growing up. Oh, well, there probably isn't an in-universe reason anyway.

Last edited:

CounterattackDreamer

Impetuous and silly
    Years
  • I blame the translators who think that the colors red and blue are better pairs/opposites or whatever you call it than red and green. They're confusing so many people x3
    Actually, the real reason why she is called Green in English is because Green version never came out in the U.S., and the Japanese Red originally called your rival Green (since, at the time, Red and Green were the only two games out). Because of the general failure of scripting/etc of version Green, its release in English-speaking countries was eventually scrapped and was instead replaced with Blue, which had a better script -- Red, because it was rather successful, was updated with Blue's script while at the same time keeping its old mapping that it had initially. Only Blue version was released outside of Japan, not Green, and because people would be confused at their rival being named Green since Green was not out outside of Japan, they renamed him to Blue.

Anyway, onto my own opinion -- I prefer to call her Blue not because the name is more feminine, not because it was her original Japanese name, but because she was based off of the theme of blue in all her appearances. She has blue eyes, and, well... is pretty much BLUE in every way. The name "Green," therefore, does not fit her. I only toss the name Green on your rival because, since the name Blue doesn't fit him and Green is the only other option for him, there's nothing else to call him but Green.

That being said, I perfectly understand people calling her Green, and to avoid confusion I actually usually call her "Leaf" or pair her name up with "Leaf" so that way people know who I'm talking about. For people who request, also, I call the rival Blue.

Back